Update Arrow Freighter version 2012 updated (screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Well I try to limit feature requests to things that can reasonably be done within this decade :lol:. I dont know though, KSP has implemented a proper walking animation for the kerbalnauts, but properly animating a persons walking cycle/motions seems awfully hard to do in orbiter while keeping it reasonably FPS friendly.

You know, it might actually be feasible and look OK if the walk was more of that "moon hop" thing instead of a traditional walk cycle. Most of the planets you're going to be out walking around on will have lower gravity than Earth and so probably would result in an astronaut loping like that instead of walking smoothly.
It would be a lot easier, I think, to animate the body just rocking back and forth as the legs move forward and "pogo" a little each time. It might even look OK if you only animated the whole leg swinging forward at the hips and just instantly bouncing off the ground.

Anyway, can't wait for all the new stuff. The Arrow looks like it's going to rock my face off.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know, it might actually be feasible and look OK if the walk was more of that "moon hop" thing instead of a traditional walk cycle. Most of the planets you're going to be out walking around on will have lower gravity than Earth and so probably would result in an astronaut loping like that instead of walking smoothly.
It would be a lot easier, I think, to animate the body just rocking back and forth as the legs move forward and "pogo" a little each time. It might even look OK if you only animated the whole leg swinging forward at the hips and just instantly bouncing off the ground.

Anyway, can't wait for all the new stuff. The Arrow looks like it's going to rock my face off.

Not that I dont hope for it to happen, but if the walking animation isnt done correctly, it really wouldnt look very good. I think it would be worthwhile to at least try it though, just seeing how it looks when simulating the motion with thighs jointed to the lower leg, rotating as it moves. It could be enough, but it might also come off as cheesy, is all

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
DEV NEWS

As the Arrow disappeared ? Nope ! (chuck testa :)

Such a VC cockpit deserved some enhancments and the best way to give realistic feeling are sound. Now OrbiterSound 3.5 doesn't allow panning and using Stereo was good but not dynamical. (turning head has no effect)

This is why I started also to Upgrade OrbiterSound to 4.0* version which will be in 3D.
It's now at 80% complete and I must say the result is very good.
You can see the thread here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=384184#post384184

While I was here I updated also the UCGO ShuttleA VC:
shuttleaucgo.jpg

*An update was needed anyway to make it compatible with graphic client

Last edited:

PeZook

Reaction score
Hot damn, man. Arrow, UCGO, DG IV, sound AND new Shuttle-A? That's practically a total upgrade to Orbiter itself!

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
DEV NEWS

As the Arrow disappeared ? Nope ! (chuck testa :)

Such a VC cockpit deserved some enhancments and the best way to give realistic feeling are sound. Now OrbiterSound 3.5 doesn't allow panning and using Stereo was good but not dynamical. (turning head has no effect)

This is why I started also to Upgrade OrbiterSound to 4.0* version which will be in 3D.
It's now at 80% complete and I must say the result is very good.
You can see the thread here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=384184#post384184

shuttleaucgo.jpg

*An update was needed anyway to make it compatible with graphic client

Thankyou so much for fixing that. The old VC drove me nuts every time I had to use it. Maybe it can be used for next orbiter version/beta to replace the stock Shuttle-A's one as well.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

While it looks better with some more light... seeing the old Space Shuttle cockpit there is a bit strange. :lol: Especially...so many small MFDs... can't there be few bigger MFDs instead?

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Thankyou so much for fixing that. The old VC drove me nuts every time I had to use it. Maybe it can be used for next orbiter version/beta to replace the stock Shuttle-A's one as well.

To not be aggressive with user's install UCGO doesn't replace the stock ShuttleA but on OrbitHangar I'll post a version that do that: replace all stock ShuttleA with the UCGO's one.

While it looks better with some more light... seeing the old Space Shuttle cockpit there is a bit strange. :lol: Especially...so many small MFDs... can't there be few bigger MFDs instead?

Well, I've done the ShuttleA just for the fun during my spare time. I do not plan to replace or modify all the VC. ;)

Proximus

Reaction score
Wow, nice work Dan!

Is this a sneak preview of upgraded UMMU as well?

:cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I've done the ShuttleA just for the fun during my spare time. I do not plan to replace or modify all the VC. ;)

I interpret this as a "Repaint my textures, if you don't like it." :shifty:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I interpret this as a "Repaint my textures, if you don't like it." :shifty:

Well, I have:
OrbiterSound
UCGO
DeltaGliderIV
UMMu

To finish for a total of 1817 files, 13 dll and all the docs to update also. At one time I must stop because it's a never-ending work, there is always something that is not correct or that don't please someone.

The Arrow's thread is dated May and I had already one month of work before that. :sos:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
To finish for a total of 1817 files, 13 dll and all the docs to update also. At one time I must stop because it's a never-ending work, there is always something that is not correct or that don't please someone.

The Arrow's thread is dated May and I had already one month of work before that. :sos:

I know that tiny detail. :lol:

My earlier remark wasn't meant as evil as it might have sounded, I know you have quite some work in front of you and have to draw lines somewhere. I simply wanted to say "OK, it is my personal problem then."

Interceptor

Reaction score
Dan, I just have one request,can you please get rid of the press H for help message that's always permanently on the UCGO shuttle A's cockpit screen,or make a toggle for on,and off for it ,the message seems to take away from the immersion.:)

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Dan, I just have one request,can you please get rid of the press H for help message that's always permanently on the UCGO shuttle A's cockpit screen,or make a toggle for on,and off for it ,the message seems to take away from the immersion.:)

It's gone in the VC's hud, if you speak about the HUD only screen I'll leave it here as this view is a spoil in itself. (when you have a cool VC handy)

Pythos

Reaction score
I hope i'm not being too newbish in asking this... but... Where is the download link for the 2012 update for the Arrow freighter?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It has not been released yet. When it is I'm sure Dan will post an update here with the links to the new versions. Just be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.