Vessel A more realistic long-haul freighter

Aiyel

Reaction score
The idea occured to me while playing around with the Arrow, which is about the best current long-haul freight mover, but somewhat lacking in the realism deparment.

What I envision is the typical long spindle of a ship, with a very light dry mass, capapble of hauling somewhere int he neighborhood of 64 ISO containers, either generic or of the UCGO container variety (though more is certainly acceptable.) It should have a gravity deck of some kind, preferring a proper spinny section to turning the whole craft end-for-end. Bonus points awarded for a design that keeps the apparent gravity aligned the same way relative to the deck itself whtether its adrift or under power.

It would also, ideally, be a fusion torch ship capable of making Earth-Jupiter or Earth-Saturn runs, one-way, getting re-supplied at each end. It wouldn't have to have its own landers, unless they were being carried for a special op, being serviced by small craft stationed at bases at each end of its route. Great care should be taken to keep relatively realistic numbers for thrust and ISP.

*pulls up Atomic Rockets for a looksee...*

Yeah, ISP somewhere in the range of 2.5 kiloseconds, give or take, which gives an eyeballed mass ratio of 2.

This would be very awesome.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about something like HVIPS? But with cargo.

Already I plan to have capacity for ~18 UCGOS, not to mention any extra cargo that can be docked to the ship in place of a manned landing craft.

johan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Doesn't the XR5 have room for something ridiculous like 36 UCGO's?

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
There is an addon that lets it carry 288 (or it might be even more!) UCGO containers.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's a great addon, but the thread started is referring to a long-haul (i.e. interplanetary) freighter, and a realistic one at that. One on a par with the Arrow in terms of capability.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
IMHO, this kind of cargo freighter could be unmanned, if it's only task is to carry payloads from an orbit A to an orbit B. High ISP - Low thrust engines (ionic thrusters ?) would probably be appropriated.

Solar424

Reaction score
If you could make this: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=891"]2001 / 2010 Space Odyssey Vessels[/ame] UCGO compatible, you'd probably have something close to what you want.