A breath of fresh air!

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
speedy recovery!!!

oh, and did any staff notice that there are 2 threads on this topic?

Staiduk

Reaction score
David! Speedy recovery from another man who has after-market parts. ;) Get back with us soon; you're too big a guy to be laid out by something as silly as being lungless. ;)

oh, and did any staff notice that there are 2 threads on this topic?

Blixel deserves a dozen threads. :) :lol:

Last edited:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I followed the thread started by dgatsoulis, but it's hard to know what to say. I am so glad that the worse is over for David.

blixel, please be positive and try to keep your spirits high, you have my best wishes. :tiphat:

HazMatt

Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear that you are back home! Take it easy my friend, and just concentrate on getting better. As you said, managing your medication is like a full time job for now.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great to see you are out of hospital. Best wishes for your recovery. Take it gently, friend!

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello once again. I just wanted to give everyone another status update. Things are improving day by day. I went back to the doctor this past Tuesday for my first follow up after leaving the hospital. They took the PICC line out so I am now officially 100% "unwired" for the first time in over 2 years. The doctor told me I could stop taking the IV and oral antibiotics, so that makes my daily routine quite a bit more tolerable. Having to take an IV every 8 hours was quite tiresome.

My vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, and oxygen levels) have been consistent since leaving the hospital. I had a "low grade fever" for the first several days, but it looks like that has now stabilized as well. While I was at the doctor's office, they removed the various stitches I had. That went a long way toward making it more comfortable to sleep. The stitches were pinching my skin quite a bit, so once they were removed, the skin was allowed to relax itself back into a comfortable position.

The doctor is going to put in an order to have my oxygen equipment discontinued. I'm looking forward to getting all of that stuff out of the house. It will be a psychological victory seeing that equipment go out the front door knowing that I don't need to be tied to machines any more to live.

I went grocery shopping with my mom yesterday afternoon. (My first time walking around a grocery store in several years.) I didn't have too much trouble getting around the store. Breathing wise, everything was fine. But my legs ache after short distances due to lack of activity over the past 4 years as my health quickly deteriorated. I'll be starting physical rehab pretty soon to regain strength. The doctor said it would take up to a year or more before I could expect to feel normal again.

All in all I'd say things are definitely headed in the right direction. These new lungs are absolutely amazing. It feels so good to be able to take a shower and not get winded. I can get around the house, I can walk into the hospital on my own two feet without a wheel chair and I don't feel out of breath at all. I can pretty much eat as much as I want without feeling like my stomach is pushing up against my lungs and making me choke. I don't feel the need to sip water all day. The old breathing meds I was taking made my mouth feel dry and sticky 24/7. It's great to wake up and have a moist mouth.

It's a wonderful transformation!

Here's a picture from this morning. (I have to wear a mask when I am around people who may be sick. Hospitals are full of sick people, so I have to wear a mask before entering a hospital.)

1065044_10201506494334389_211212997_o_zps3cefca45.jpg

I had to go to the hospital to get more blood drawn so they could make sure the medications are properly balanced. (Again, if I don't get enough of the anti-rejection meds, my body may reject the new lungs, but if I take too much, it can overwhelm my kidneys and potentially poison me.)

I think that will probably wrap it up for this topic. I don't see the need to bore everyone here on OF with the ongoing details of the recovery process. Thanks again to everyone for the well wishes and words of encouragement. It is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
If you don't want to bump the thread with updates, I wouldn't mind blog entries. :p (O-F's blog feature)

It sounds like hell to go through, but it's awesome you're pushing through to an improved life. :)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I think that will probably wrap it up for this topic. I don't see the need to bore everyone here on OF with the ongoing details of the recovery process. Thanks again to everyone for the well wishes and words of encouragement. It is much appreciated.

You're certainly not boring me. it's quite inspiring to read of how you're coping with the recovery and feeling the benefit of the transplant. It makes my own day to day complaints pale into comparison with what you have been through.:cheers:

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
Wow! I am so fortunate to be healthy. It is only when I read about someone like you that went through what you went through to live do I realize what a gift it is to be able to breath normally. Your picture brought me to tears honestly. I fervently hope for your speedy and complications free recovery.

Kendo

Reaction score
Blixel, Have you thought of writing a book on your experience.
Here,s to a speedy recovery.:cheers:

JSwift

Reaction score
Wow, that's some great news David!

I'm very happy to hear about the successful operation and I wholeheartedly join everyone else here in wishing you a speedy recovery and a return to a more normal routine.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
With the positive feedback I got after the last post, I thought I would revisit this thread at least one more time.

Today is 1 month since my double lung transplant!

I had a series of follow up tests at the hospital this morning. The one test that I've actually been looking forward to is the PFT (pulmonary function test.) This test essentially determines how much capacity I have. (They can check for other things, but today's test was just to determine capacity.)

I'm not well versed in all the medical jargon surrounding the test. Acronyms such as FVC, FEV1, FEF, and so on don't mean much to me, but I know that 3.04 is a huge improvement compared to 0.17! (See the following image and compare today's numbers with March and May of this year.)

Jul-23-20135-52-31PM_zps4e3266ca.jpg

By simply comparing the numbers for how things were just 8 weeks ago to how things are today, you can hopefully appreciate how vast of a difference this has been for me.

It's absolutely amazing.

IMG_0370_zps62a6639a.jpg

IMG_0368_zpsbe515fb9.jpg

Everything continues to go well. Some days are better than others but overall the trajectory is definitely trending in a positive direction!

Last edited: