Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Just wanted to post the same links :ninja:

There is no mechanic alternative only an electric motor. And the landing gear was reported jammed, which could be caused by the hydraulic valves being locked in the wrong position.

Keatah

Reaction score
I was listening to disco music all the while while watching these videos..!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I imagine part of the reported 'softness' of belly landings is in the pilots' giving more extreme care and attention than they would on a normal landing, no?

captjdk

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a little clarification. First, I'm have not read any reports of what the crew told the controllers was the issue with the gear, jammed, no hydraulics, etc.

It's been about 8 years since I've flown the 767/757 aircraft, and there have been two other Boeing aircraft since then. That being said let's see if I can remember anything :)

This if from the quoted websites:

"Landing Gear Alternate Extension
The alternate landing gear extension system uses an electric motor to trip the locking mechanism for each gear. Selecting DN on the ALTN GEAR EXTEND switch releases all door and gear uplocks. The landing gear free–fall to the down and locked position.
When all gear are down and locked, the gear down lights illuminate and the GEAR light extinguishes. During alternate extension, the DOORS light remains illuminated and the EICAS advisory message GEAR DOORS displays because all the hydraulically powered gear doors remain open."

This is correct.

Gear extension, whether normal or alternate, relies on either the Battery Bus or Hot Battery Bus (I'm pretty sure it's the Hot Battery Bus) to supply power to DC solenoids to release the uplocks for the gear. Under normal extension, hydraulic pressure from the center system lowers the gear and then closes the gear doors. Alternate extension allows the gear to gravity free fall into the down postion (the side braces are over-centered) but the gear doors remain open...no big deal.

Alternate Flap Extension is electrically powered. So since the flaps were in the landing configuration, there should have been power to the gear uplocks. If they did jam, that's another problem.

This is the first report I have heard of a gear-up landing of the 767 in the 25-30 years it's been flying....not inclucing ditchings off the coast of Africa during a hijacking.

Thanks for reading,

David K

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That was a state-of-the-art belly landing !:thumbup:

edsupagood

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What a great landing! Almost looks like the pilot has done this before. :hmm:

BusDriver

Reaction score
This is correct.

Gear extension, whether normal or alternate, relies on either the Battery Bus or Hot Battery Bus (I'm pretty sure it's the Hot Battery Bus) to supply power to DC solenoids to release the uplocks for the gear. Under normal extension, hydraulic pressure from the center system lowers the gear and then closes the gear doors. Alternate extension allows the gear to gravity free fall into the down postion (the side braces are over-centered) but the gear doors remain open...no big deal.

David,

So if I get it right: The alternate gear extension system IS the gravity extension, right?

Thanks,

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I imagine part of the reported 'softness' of belly landings is in the pilots' giving more extreme care and attention than they would on a normal landing, no?
Probably, although as the captain of this plane said in the today's interview, this wasn't any different(softer or harder) landing for him. He just tried to do it just a little bit more gentler then usual. Also the engines were working, flaps were extended, runway was prepared and weather conditions were good which all that helped a lot.

Hi all,

Just a little clarification. First, I'm have not read any reports of what the crew told the controllers was the issue with the gear, jammed, no hydraulics, etc.

David K
As crew reported, they've lost fluid pressure in central hydraulic gear system(i belief there are also left and right hydraulics systems ) about 30 minutes after take off. They did what plane manual says for such incident and continiue the flight. When they reach target airport it turn out the landing gear cannot be lower by means of any available systems including electrical one which thankfully at least managed to extend flaps. They tried gravity extension method but it didn't worked as well so they had to do belly landing. From what captain said the didn't know what the issue was besides that there is no fluid pressure in central system and for some reasons landing gear cannot be lowered.

What a great landing! Almost looks like the pilot has done this before. :hmm:
Of course he did it before ... as any other airliner pilot in the simulator:lol:.

David,

So if I get it right: The alternate gear extension system IS the gravity extension, right?

Thanks,
I think it's the last available option. The main backup system is the electric one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It sounds a lot like a electrical problem, since none of the systems of the landing gear did react at all (eg, the landing gear doors). Neither hydraulics, nor electrics.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Pilot's surname is "Wrona" which literally is "Crow" in English.

Last edited:

captjdk

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Probably, although as the captain of this plane said in the today's interview, this wasn't any different(softer or harder) landing for him. He just tried to do it just a little bit more gentler then usual. Also the engines were working, flaps were extended, runway was prepared and weather conditions were good which all that helped a lot.

As crew reported, they've lost fluid pressure in central hydraulic gear system(i belief there are also left and right hydraulics systems ) about 30 minutes after take off. They did what plane manual says for such incident and continiue the flight. When they reach target airport it turn out the landing gear cannot be lower by means of any available systems including electrical one which thankfully at least managed to extend flaps. They tried gravity extension method but it didn't worked as well so they had to do belly landing. From what captain said the didn't know what the issue was besides that there is no fluid pressure in central system and for some reasons landing gear cannot be lowered.

Of course he did it before ... as any other airliner pilot in the simulator:lol:.

I think it's the last available option. The main backup system is the electric one.

There are only two methods to lower the gear. The normal method is hydraulic and the alternate is gravity. The only electrical function is to unlock the doors and uplocks and allow the gear to free fall.

This is the system description from a 767 Operating Manual:

Landing Gear Alternate Extension

The alternate landing gear extension system uses an electric motor to trip
the locking mechanism for each gear. Selecting DN on the
ALTN GEAR EXTEND Switch releases all door and gear uplocks. The
landing gear free-fall to the down and locked position.
When all gear are down and locked, the Gear Down Lights illuminate and
the GEAR Light extinguishes. During alternate extension, the DOORS Light
remains illuminated and the EICAS advisory message GEAR DOORS
displays because all the hydraulically powered gear doors remain open.

Both gear and flaps/slats are off the center system.

There are two methods to operate flaps and slats. The normal method is with hydraulics. The alternate method is electrical. Since electrical busses were available to extend the flaps and slats, there should have been power available to the unlock the gear. Hmmmm

As far as the electrics, found the reference source for the power to uplocks.

This is from a 767 QRH (quick reference handbook).

For reference, the items on the HOT BATTERY BUS are listed below:

HOT BATTERY BUS (normally powered by the battery charger
through the right electrical system)
• Alternate landing gear extension
.......(others omitted for brevity)

The bottom line is that the crew did a SUPER job.

Hope this helps,

Dave K

FADEC

Reaction score
There are only two methods to lower the gear. The normal method is hydraulic and the alternate is gravity. The only electrical function is to unlock the doors and uplocks and allow the gear to free fall.

This is the system description from a 767 Operating Manual:

The alternate landing gear extension system uses an electric motor to trip
the locking mechanism for each gear. Selecting DN on the
ALTN GEAR EXTEND Switch releases all door and gear uplocks. The
landing gear free-fall to the down and locked position.
When all gear are down and locked, the Gear Down Lights illuminate and
the GEAR Light extinguishes. During alternate extension, the DOORS Light
remains illuminated and the EICAS advisory message GEAR DOORS
displays because all the hydraulically powered gear doors remain open.

Both gear and flaps/slats are off the center system.

There are two methods to operate flaps and slats. The normal method is with hydraulics. The alternate method is electrical. Since electrical busses were available to extend the flaps and slats, there should have been power available to the unlock the gear. Hmmmm

As far as the electrics, found the reference source for the power to uplocks.

This is from a 767 QRH (quick reference handbook).

For reference, the items on the HOT BATTERY BUS are listed below:

HOT BATTERY BUS (normally powered by the battery charger
through the right electrical system)
• Alternate landing gear extension
.......(others omitted for brevity)

The bottom line is that the crew did a SUPER job.

Hope this helps,

Dave K

By the way, this is interesting to see the slight differences in aircraft manuals. But the facts are the same. This is from a Lauda Air 767 AOM (and I think all the 5 listed 767 models are still in service with Lauda :)):

The alternate landing gear extension system uses a dedicated DC powered electric hydraulic pump to extend the landing gear. Fluid within the supply line to the pump is sufficient for alternate gear extension operation. This fluid is isolated from the left hydraulic system. Selecting DN on the ALTN GEAR EXTEND switch releases all door and gear uplocks. The landing gear free–fall to the down and locked position.

When all gear are down and locked, the gear down lights illuminate and the GEAR light extinguishes. During alternate extension, the DOORS light remains
illuminated and the EICAS advisory message GEAR DOORS displays because all
the hydraulically powered gear doors remain open.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
AP News / BloomerangBusinessweek: Experts give causes of emergency landing in Poland:
WARSAW, Poland (AP) — Aviation experts said Wednesday that a LOT Polish Airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey, made an emergency landing in Warsaw last year because of technical problems with the Boeing 767 and inadequate guidance in its cockpit handbook.

{...}

In its preliminary opinion, Poland's State Commission for Investigation of Air Accidents said the aircraft's main landing gear discharge system failed due to a broken hydraulic hose, and the backup system also failed, probably because its circuit breaker was accidentally in the off position.

The commission said the cockpit checklist did not include guidance on what to do with a malfunction of the alternative landing gear system, or if the landing gear could not be discharged. The experts said they have recommended that Boeing revise the checklist and that Warsaw Frederic Chopin airport improve procedures for relocating plane passengers after an emergency evacuation.

Boeing said it would not comment until the commission makes its final report.

{...}

FADEC

Reaction score
Since it is not posted here yet: the landing filmed by a passenger...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns-3ObP4C54"]Materiał ze środka lądującego Boeinga 767 - "Fakty" TVP Wrocław - YouTube[/ame]