YouTube Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I get irony, I just don't get why nobody wants to explain the bloody great big saucers flying around Cancun...

Easy to scoff at crap videos from YouTube... The challenge would be to disprove that one

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What does CGI mean?

Computer Generated Image.

Actually, in the video, after the left UFO passed the palm, you can see a short rendering bug on them - they are appear grayish, but in the other frames, they must be perfect absorbers to stay so dark regardless of the extremely bright center light being seen from almost any direction.

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now THAT's the kind of really smart stuff I expected to hear when I posted the thing in the first place. Please elaborate... How do they do that exactly? Could we make one the same?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You need a UFO mesh and a typical rendering software. The next you need is a typical bitmap painting software.

You create the scene in the rendering software (for example Povray) and render the mesh against a plain background (including giving you an alpha map)

Next you mask the palm from the first frames and include the rendered UFOs into it. It is really hard to find evidence for being made with CGI when the video is well made, compressed high enough to make it blurry and there is no interaction with the scenery (for example light shining on the ground).

The technology is the same like you had in Jurassic Park, but now, you can have the software at home. But it still takes some time to mask out objects from the real environment capture and process the video frame by frame.

That's most likely why the scene where the UFO was partially obstructed by the palm is not even a second long - it's 15 images to process, which can take a few hours to get right.

The software for making realistic looking jet engine flames BTW, is also available for free now...

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
You need a UFO mesh and a typical rendering software...

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I just can't get by on three-letter-acronyms

This serves as ammo in a debate I'm having with my students (mature people, not teenagers) who believe this is real

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
YouTube - Vantage - an FSX Film
Looks like Tex has got some compitition...

lol, Lotus has been around for a while. I've chatted with him several times. The guy makes excellent FSX videos, no doubt.

Belisarius said:
What does CGI mean?

This guy makes really good UFO videos using nothing more than Adobe After Effects & 3D max. He used Vue6 for the UFO creation in the video below which is one of my favs.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Air Force fly-by over Moscow, May 9th

Here's what I saw yesterday on my way to work. Shortly after flying over the Red Square, the formations have been pulling out over Taganskaya square. Sorry for a bit shaky footage at first, I've been caught by surprise. :tumbleweed:

Judging by their look, they were...

Formation 1: 1 An-124 & 2 Su-30

Formation 2: 1 Tu-160 & 2 MiG-31

Formation 3: 1 Il-78, 1 Tu-95 & 2 MiG-29

Formation 4: 1 Il-78, 1 Su-34 & 1 Su-24

Formation 5: 3 Tu-22M

Formation 6: 4 Su-25

Formation 4: 5 Su-27 & 4 MiG-29 (Russian Knights and The Swifts aerobatic squadrons)

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
This video never gets old:

"Miles and miles and miles!"

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This video never ceases to get old:

er... wouldn't that mean exactly the oposite of what you wanted to say? otherwise I'm having a grave misunderstanding about the usage of the word "cease"...

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
er... wouldn't that mean exactly the oposite of what you wanted to say? otherwise I'm having a grave misunderstanding about the usage of the word "cease"...

Maybe we have some sort of language barrier. What I mean to say was that I could watch the video many times, but it continues to be fun to watch despite the multiple viewings.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
that's what I fought you wanted to say. But shouldn't it be "this never gets old" then?

"this never ceases to get old" somehow sounds like "this is old, and it never stops being old"...

don't get me wrong, I don't want to argue your english, I'm just asking myself if I missinterpreted the word "to cease" all my live... I allways considered it meaning something like "to stop". e.g., something ceases to exist, meaning it is no more. Did I get that wrong all my live? :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.