Project XR3 Phoenix (WIP)

johan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In modelling queue. :p

Actually it will be much simpler as I have reference pose ...

Naw.... I don't buy that. The male form is simpler because... it's simpler. And because few people will scrutinize it carefully! :rofl:

:stirpot:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Do we have names for them yet?

Main (default) crew

SARAH WILLIAMS (blue suit)
CAROLINE MOORE (red suit)
LINDSAY ANDERSON (orange suit)
NATHAN WEST (male)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Main (default) crew

SARAH WILLIAMS (blue suit)
CAROLINE MOORE (red suit)
LINDSAY ANDERSON (orange suit)
NATHAN WEST (male)

Could that be Maj. Don West ?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Could that be Maj. Don West ?

Just make it Don Gallagher. :p

Same as in XR2 you'll be able to customize crew names :p

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

and yes - I'm working on him also:
male-pilot.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Where did you get the insperation for there names. Family?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Inspiration comes from many places. For few years I was playing pen & paper RPGs (mostly as game master) so I had to come up with many NPC names. Also movies, TV shows, books, sometimes even phone book etc.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Nice

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

I think you should have a break for a bit. You have been at this for like 2 months strait now. Enjoy your self.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why would I break ? Also I'm not working only on XR3. Apart from it I have Small Pressurized Rover and HCLV Hyperion in 2 configurations (inline and sidemount) to work on. I switch between them to not get tired by one project.

roverX3.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

I think you should have a break for a bit. You have been at this for like 2 months strait now. Enjoy your self.

I would say, he is enjoying himself.

Ark

Reaction score
Inspiration comes from many places. For few years I was playing pen & paper RPGs (mostly as game master) so I had to come up with many NPC names. Also movies, TV shows, books, sometimes even phone book etc.

My personal habit is fictional astronauts. :lol:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com

I would say, he is enjoying himself.

I must say that I spend as much time as I can doing as much hobby work as I can. I have an obsesive compulsive disorder in this field myself I think. But over the last couple of days I have been playing with my virtual train set... thinking about what I can do within my OCD you understand :shifty:
We don't need treatment, we just need somebody to shovel food at us whilst we save our WIP.

I love the little rover/buggy. Your work is very good Loru and the silver suits are better I think, for the main pilots. I love the belt buckles. :thumbup:
Nice touch there.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I used to spend *hours* repainting aircraft for FlightSim 2000 back when I first got married. My ex and I worked opposite shifts while she was in college, so it worked out well for my OCD. She used to call it 'playing with my planes.' Really ticked me off when she belittled it like that :lol:

I'd spend hours on one part, getting the texture just right. I miss those days, especially when I have so much I want to do. I miss having hours to do that stuff.

Keep it up, Loru, really looking great. Can't wait to fly it.

"I'm gonna pay a visit to this beautiful machine once you're hard-down."

acefox1

Reaction score
I'm so excited to give this latest member of the XR family a run around the block. Thanks for all the great work you guys!

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In 2 days I'll recieve new control boards for my HDDs so I can resume working on it.

Keatah

Reaction score
Ohh heavens.. Disk problems. Hope you have backups??

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
AS I stated in RCT my PSU sent insane voltage over all SATA power cables. All 4 HDDs have fried control boards but I hope data is safe (disk motors are working :) ) and after control board replacement I'll get data back. Last backup was from around february so in worst case scenario I'll have to redo the crew meshes and minor fixes to main vessel mesh which is safe.

I happily assumed RAID-1 array is enough to keep data safe. From that fatal day I do backups every 2 days.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

State of mesh:

xr3-recovered.jpg

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Loru. As an expert in Data Recovery Operations I would bet the data is very likely safe on the platters. Worst case would be a few scrambled sectors.

Now, whether the heads and pre-amps (circuitry on the heads) is fried. Who's to say? This pre-amp circuit can only be changed by experienced techs in a cleanroom environment. So let us hope that's not bad.

If you are replacing the circuit board that bolts onto the disk drive housing, a reasonable first step, you may need to swap the adaptive serial flashrom from the old boards to the new boards. And the new boards must be of identical part number, lot number, and revision. So be prepared!

At least you've got some sort of backups going. Which is a reminder to everyone here! Review your backup process and make whatever changes are necessary. In this case, right here, backups saved a huge portion of time and effort.

Many times losses (without backups) like this are enough to kill a project or set it back significantly.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
All numbers for boards are correct. They have same firmware version installed and I performed such operation in the past. If this won't work I'll hand drives to data recovery company.

In this particular case I was very lucky since main mesh is safe (february version on my backup and even newer version, lacking few details saved by Woo482). Thankfully my work folders are synchronized with computers in my company so no real money loss here.

Even in worst case scenario project isn't dead.

After this event I dedicated 2 hdds on my home media server to store backups, added much better surge protectors for all PCs and bought two 32 GB flash drives as secondary backup.