Project XR3 Phoenix (WIP)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Will the placements of the engine pods on the wing not affected lift performance?

Nope. Proper design of the nacelles will minimize or eliminate the loss of lift, and may actually improve transsonic performance.

Rybec

Reaction score
Mental ray's default AO shader is horrendously innefficient, I would strongly recommend using another method. The final-gather based "fast" AO is a lot quicker, but you loose a lot of control.

A trick you may consider is rendering the AO at a lower res and up-scaling it; AO is usually smooth enough for this to have a negligable impact final quality. You could probably go as low as 1024 and still get a good result, in 1/16th the time.

You might also try Blender for the AO, in my experience you can get results just as good in a fraction of the time. Combine this with using a lower-res for the AO and it should only take a few minutes.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm - I fixed smoothing issues and had to re-UVW map the thing but I merged some meshgroups in the process so it will increase performance a bit.

I need to redraw both texture and normal map but that won't be hard now. UVW map is much better this time so it won't take much time.

01-xr3-5.jpg

Kendo

Reaction score
Great work Loru. Taking a closer look, would it be better to have some sort of frame around the windows, for this type of craft?.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
well - there is frame - just untextured right now as I'm rebuilding texture after UVW map change.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here are window frames: I had to recreate texture as I accidentally merged layers and saved it:

XR-new.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Forward crew access hatch:

01xr3-exthatch.jpg

01xr3-exthatch2.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

and here you can see size relative to crew member:

bridge-size.jpg

Last edited:

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't wait to fly this ship. It will be an honor to use this add on. Thank you for your time and the thoughtful design.

Thank you Loru
Russ

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Working slowly on crew meshes (at first for VC, then for UMMUs)

crew7a.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Loru, do you get lot of free time?

Actually I have more than usuall till end of may due to accident I had few weeks ago.

However I still have to oversee my company and and have ton of add-ons in queue.

In the mean time:

crew7a3.jpg

APDAF

Reaction score
And what about the other half of the species? Us?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And what about the other half of the species? Us?

In modelling queue. :p

Actually it will be much simpler as I have reference pose from UCGO - just need to model male crew member around it. In female part I hadn't got proper pose (I'm doing it in pure 3ds max/dos 3ds and not in makehuman or poser, so it takes time but I have control over every face polygon.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Some minor fixes in crew mesh (reduced polycount of palm from staggering 2400 to 1000 polys), also made some exporting tests and material tweaking in orbiter.