Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome. I guess it is possible to describe after all. :tiphat:
As George W. Bush so famously said, "Keep good relations with the Greecians."

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Coolhand,

After seeing the :jawdrops: improvements made for the Mk II Ravenstar, i have only this to add.

Is there any way you could add this:[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3NX-wtdpV4"]YouTube- Commercial - Audi[/nomedia] instead of the furry dice?

:D
:cheers:

P.S. I can't wait to get my hands on the Mk II. Those that have seen my videos, know what i'm talking about.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Actually there IS a single word that can describe Coolhand's (Steve Tyler's) and dbeachy1's (Douglas E. Beachy's) contribution to Orbiter.
-It can certainly describe EVERY single addon-developer's state of mind when they are... ehm... developing an add-on.
-It can describe every answer to every post in this Forum. (Even the "Galkin Empire" one's)
-It can even describe Dr.Schweiger's "need" to come up with this amazing educational tool. (That turned out to be so much more, for so many people around the globe).
It's a word that has been passed down to us from the civilization that developed Physics and Democracy among other things... ;)
That word is Filotimo

The definition written in English in that link above, will not help you understand the true meaning of that word.
You will get really close to it... but not completetely understand it.
For me... it means "to give, selflessly, to as many people as you can around you, and expect nothing in return."
But it's not exactly "Altruism". It's so much more than that! Can't really explain it in English, even the definitions in Greek dictionaries fail when they try to define that word.

I do know this: There is certainly a lot of "Filotimo" in Coolhand's work!:thumbup:

Thats an incredibly thoughtful post, its not entirely selfless, there's personal satisfaction in getting the work out there and seeing people use it... ya know, seeing all the comments on youtube and here, thanking Doug for the ship:lol:

anyway heres some more work on the XR2...

*edit* I seem to have overwritten it with a pic of a different project somehow... Sorry for the confusion folks, i'll have some actual new stuff for you soon, i can't re-render it right now. ignore this... *

Attachments

• MkII_43.jpg
    MkII_43.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 224

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A new radically different direction for the XR series? :lol: Joking.
It looks nice either way. May I ask what it's for?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
well i guess you could call it part of a series of models of vehicles which attempt to employ a level of detail comparable to an environment, something large that you could walk around on and still appreciate a lot of detail in the textures for example so they don't become smeary pixellated affairs... or at least get the camera very close to it. The latest is going to be for use in current real time engines. I used the techniques in a small movie production last year - the wrecked centrifuge is something i built for it along with the rest of that ship.

btw, if you ever see a big green vending machine shaped thing in my pics, its an approximate 6ft person for reference. I'm not the only one who does it, honest.

Attachments

• aries_OF_01.jpg
    aries_OF_01.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 231
  • set05.jpg
    set05.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 249
  • Ionia_class_283.jpg
    Ionia_class_283.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 241

Dambuster

Reaction score
well i guess you could call it part of a series of models of vehicles which attempt to employ a level of detail comparable to an environment, something large that you could walk around on and still appreciate a lot of detail in the textures for example so they don't become smeary pixellated affairs... or at least get the camera very close to it. The latest is going to be for use in current real time engines. I used the techniques in a small movie production last year - the wrecked centrifuge is something i built for it along with the rest of that ship.

btw, if you ever see a big green vending machine shaped thing in my pics, its an approximate 6ft person for reference. I'm not the only one who does it, honest.

Those are incredible!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Those are absolutely breathtaking Steve!
OMG!
What's going on pic No2!?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
its the centrifuge of a ship thats been struck by an asteroid... or infact if memory serves, its homocidal computer had flown it into the asteroid. I'm not sure what state of release the film is in, but it had the working title last year of "rocketman". A couple of the effects shots needed to be very close to and travelling though the structure at times. I'd show some pics of the entire ship, but its so large i'm not able to render it here. here are a couple of development pics of the centrifuge.

Attachments

• ship_wip11.jpg
    ship_wip11.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 220
  • ship_wip07.jpg
    ship_wip07.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 184

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Damn, man, you can model. Those are stunning!

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I forget that some of you haven't seen anything else i've done apart from the XR2.

I've been a professional artist / modeler for about 5 years now, I've worked for board games companies, architects, video games studios and the occasional low budget movie or TV production

The first model there is over 3 million triangles and is for a personal project, the robot was for the 360 game "section 8" and the armoured thing was for a tv show - but you'll never see it, the production tanked, nothing to do with me;)

Attachments

• magnetosphere_3dt.jpg
    magnetosphere_3dt.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Heavy_Armor_finalrender_02.jpg
    Heavy_Armor_finalrender_02.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 186
  • MRLS44_a copy.jpg
    MRLS44_a copy.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 175

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
I also recall once finding a page of yours elsewhere... I'm tempted to say I found the link through this forum somewhere. You had a collection of your renders there, like more of that Akula design.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
the armoured thing was for a tv show - but you'll never see it, the production tanked, nothing to do with me;)

Production "tanked"? Oh, the punnage! >.>

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Coolhand, the first ship from your last post looks absolutely incredible. Do you have more renderings of it?

Too bad Orbiter can't handle so detailed models since it would be awesome to fly it in Orbiter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The tank would actually be pretty fitting for some stuff in my pipeline. I am sure I could even design a BattleTech unit for such a shape... (but I would need a upgrade now that there are new rules for tanks everywhere)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I remember seeing a page of yours with the Akula on it. It was on CGSociety, I think.
And that tank would fit perfectly in Battletech. That's a good idea, especially if you keep the SRM-30s it seems to have. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And that tank would fit perfectly in Battletech. That's a good idea, especially if you keep the SRM-30s it seems to have. :lol:

We have MRM-30s for quite a while in BattleTech. ;)

(MRM = medium range missile, unguided direct fire missile with higher range than SRM)

But the launchers have 29 tubes (6+7+8+8)...a minor problem.

2x MRM-30, 2xMPL, 2x MG , Fusion reactor...could become a nice support vehicle.

Here is a record sheet done quickly under the old construction rules as attachment... nice beast... also not too expensive or slow for a 75 ton vehicle.

Attachments

• Kobayashi.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We have MRM-30s for quite a while in BattleTech. ;)
The extent of my knowledge is from watching my uncle play what I believe was a first edition from 1984. :p
(MRM = medium range missile, unguided direct fire missile with higher range than SRM)

But the launchers have 29 tubes (6+7+8+8)...a minor problem.

2x MRM-30, 2xMPL, 2x MG , Fusion reactor...could become a nice support vehicle.
I can't add, apparently. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The extent of my knowledge is from watching my uncle play what I believe was a first edition from 1984. :p

LOL, I started playing in a chapter in 2001, and still can't let it be. Added a PDF record sheet done in 3 minutes for it, in case a CBT player is interested in taking a look.

I can't add, apparently. :lol:

Was a measurement error for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.