Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
That only takes one person. I was thinking more of something that can take an entire crew.

I'd rather give the crew a full complement of "space jackets" then turbopacks.

When's the last time anyone bailed out of a passenger jet-liner that was going down?

That seems to be why dbeachy and Coolhand aren't putting an ejection/bail-out option in the XR2. I don't want to speak for them, but that's the impression I get.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That seems to be why dbeachy and Coolhand aren't putting an ejection/bail-out option in the XR2. I don't want to speak for them, but that's the impression I get.

I repeat, I do not support ejection for XR vessels. I suggest this basically as a lifeboat.

When's the last time anyone bailed out of a passenger jet-liner that was going down?

True. But try to get an elderly person or child to use a parachute...
Airliners still have rafts, and there are lifejackets under the seats.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just a random thought: how about implementing more complex heat logic?
E.g.:
- Heat should be taken away when flying in atmosphere (or taken in if it's +60 around) - for atmo flights

Thanks for all the feedback. Actually, the current heating algorithm already does this: heat is added and removed each timestep based on a number of factors, including current hull temperature and external atmosphere temperature.

Engines working should dissipate quite much heat (that is, running 100% thrust in space for long time isn't a good idea with stock radiator)

Remember that the purpose of the ship's radiator is not to cool the engines, but to cool the ship's internal systems (computers, etc.) The engines themselves are cooled by the cryogenic fuel itself.

- Heat dissipation ratio should depend on temp (+80 coolant temperature (343K) and +20 (293K) are different things - almost 22%)

That is already the case: the higher the internal coolant temperature the faster the heat is dissipated via the radiators.

- If possible - heating by sun (going to mercury orbit isn't a good idea)

That's a reasonable idea, although it will take some thought.

Maybe, possibility of coolant flush?..

I'm not sure how that would add to the sim, except for a new switch and sound effect the pilot could use while external cooling is online. In practical terms the coolant is already flushed automatically when external cooling is online. :)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
TBH, this whole bailout / ejection issue has been done to death.... it crops up every few pages and the exact same things are suggested every time. I can't speak for Doug, but I'm getting fairly sick of it, sorry.

The XR2 is for flying, not crashing or jumping out of... be happy with the bailout system, you're not getting anything else.

Like a commercial airliner, or even smaller privately owned vehicles, if its going down, you're probably going to die unless you just happen to be able to bailout safely... Most times you can't even bailout of a conventional commercial / privately owned aircraft of course.

Sadly, the few actually constructive posts are in danger of getting lost in the requests for and discussion of bailout systems... Please, no more. Thanks.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
be happy with the bailout system, you're not getting anything else.

Please, no more. Thanks.

Sorry about the suggestion of a lifeboat thingy.

I have bailed out of the XR2 multiple times after breaking a wing and losing control on ascent. Unable to turn the craft around, I slow down and drop to a lower altitude, then open the nosecone and bail out. It has worked for me.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
no need to apologise, and my post was not aimed at anyone in particular... It's just that we've both said so many times that we're not interested in adding any further bailout or ejection functions and its a little irritating when the issue crops up again and again and seems to generate more discussion than anything else, swamping new suggestions or feedback.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Can there be some way -- perhaps by means of a DGIV-esque auto air intake system -- of keeping the coolant temp low while flying in the atmosphere. Currently (or as far as I'm aware) the only way to cool the coolant is to open the radiator; which can only be done at low DNP or in space. If someone is flying a long duration atmospheric flight (which I often enjoy, so don't assume no one does), the coolant heats up after about 30 minutes or so and everyone asphyxiates. Woe.

First off, I love these ships and I've been steadily flying and customizing the "ride" for the past week or so, but I have to echo Pete.Dakota above. Having a low altitude cooling system while cruising about would pretty well cap off my version of Tom Swift's "Sky Queen."

I know I could just turn off all need for cooling, but I don't want to entirely lose that level of realism.

Thanks for the fun craft!

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Perhaps if the radiators resistance to dynamic pressure was increased...? As i mentioned before they're designed to look tougher than the radiators on the other craft... I could certainly use them to help keep the ship cool on some of my jaunts around Mars.

btw, is your username any reference to the Forever War?

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
btw, is your username any reference to the Forever War?

Well. I have been using this handle around the internet for some years, and I must say that you are the first person to recognize it (or at least the first person to point it out). I'm afraid most people must think I'm a staunch anti-apartheid supporter, or perhaps just a big fan of radially symmetrical art (and a poor speller).

I started using it a while back when I spent a lot of time going from one online shooter to another. It occurred to me after a point that it was like I was in some ceaseless virtual conflict -- a Forever War, so to speak.

Here's to old school science fiction -- I think I learned more space science and math from those guys than all the years in school...

:cheers:

EDIT: Holy crap! This topic made me curious on what Joe Haldeman was doing nowdays, so I googled him. According to wikipedia (and they'd never lie!) Ridley Scott is supposed to be directing a feature length film based on the book! I don't know whether to cheer or cry -- I just hope it's handled better than poor Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

But yeah, being able to extend the radiators on the X2 in atmosphere would be just the thing, as long as I could keep the speed down.

Of course, now we'll want turbojets for low speed cruising!

Thanks again for all the great work.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Up to 40/42/Or maybe even 45 Kp in dynamic pressure perhaps? According to manual the rating for cargo doors is 36, And retro doors 41. The radiator looks like it would be far more fit for atmospheric pressure than cargo bay doors but shouldn't be too much more robust than the retro from the looks of it.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
hmmm. the retro door is meant to be somewhat flimsier, and it makes no effort at all to be aerodynamic if you see what i mean... the retro door is more or less just designed to cover the retro housing, whereas the mk2 radiator is meant to form another part of the stabiliser when deployed.

Mandella, yeah i heard about that some time ago, actually sounds too fantastic. it's one of those things that I read but didn't really take in as it all seemed so far fetched it can't be real. It's a great book, really deserves a good treatment from a great director and production team. It's message is probably particularly relevant today with our never ending war.

Scott would be perfectly suited... He could direct anything and it would look stunning, but he's clearly got the credentials with some great scifi, and war films.

As these things go though, i expect it'll end up as a low budget with a crappy script & directed by Uwe Boll or something... where the Taurans are replaced with time travelling clone nazi robots.;)

No, i'm not letting myself get excited, until i see some production shots...:)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Ok, back to the XR0 or whatever its going to be called... anyone have name suggestions?

I wasn't happy with how un-aerodynamic the back end was looking... considering the space it has to pack into, options are somewhat limited and the docking ring causes problems, there can't really be any taper on the back... however i've reworked the internal layout, now the cabin is smaller, holding just 2 passengers and tube connects the cabin to the docking port. possibly this could also make for an airlock, albeit a very cramped one

this has allowed me to slim down the fuselage and remove the engine pods. There's now a single overhead airbreather and the rocket engines have been moved down.

Attachments

• XR0_21.jpg
    XR0_21.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 149
  • XR0_22.jpg
    XR0_22.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 135

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That intake is for an airbreathing engine, then?

I like the idea, I think two people is a fine number for a vessel that size and with it's purpose. And count my name vote for XR0. How about the "Puddlejumper"? ;)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Looks good :) and please don't say that started as a Cube.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, back to the XR0 or whatever its going to be called... anyone have name suggestions?
Hummingbird?

"Puddlejumper"?
Sure, (I'm guessing Stargate referance) but does it have any puddles to jump through?

What about a Stargate addon, dial in the address and you're at Jupiter in seconds!

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
That intake is for an airbreathing engine, then?

I like the idea, I think two people is a fine number for a vessel that size and with it's purpose. And count my name vote for XR0. How about the "Puddlejumper"? ;)

Its meant to be a Pulse Detonation engine.

and lol, Doug's a huge stargate fan (just look at the names of the XR2's crew) but i'd avoid that name since it's already used for a scifi ship.:)

-----Post Added-----

Looks good :) and please don't say that started as a Cube.

cube? no... cuboid... just a stretched out box that fitted in the xr2's bay.. with maybe 12 segments along its length, 2 segments for its width and 2 for its height. extra detail and refinement is added by using the cut tool (keeping the suface composed of quadrangles where possible for predictable smoothing) connect (makes another line between 2 or more lines) and extrude, well, mainly... all the tools have their uses. And of coursea lot of vertex pushing to get the shapes looking right too...

1 iteration of turbosmooth is keeping it from looking segmented - blending between harsh angles. The technique is actually called box modelling, since you start with a box... or possibly a plane. you refine this into what might be called a 'cage' or a control mesh (looks like a lower poly version of the smoothed model) which is used to control the turbosmooth or meshsmooth modifier.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Hummingbird?

Not bad. the design originated from an x-33 like vehicle with no ssto type engines that i'd called 'YellowBird' (pic attached)... anyway, this new one It has a kind of songbird type shape kinda stumpy, curvy...

I quite like "Songbird" actually.

*edit* in case of confusion the attached pic is kindof a prototype design of the ship that i've been showing in earlier posts

Attachments

• yellowbird.jpg
    yellowbird.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 105

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm, Songbird. Has a ring to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.