Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
OK guys, Beta-1 is a go! XR2 Beta Team: please check your inboxes for the download link. I want to especially thank Steve Tyler ("Coolhand") for all his hard work on the model and making it look amazing, and for helping me do Alpha testing on the ship.

Beta-1 notes and known issues:

* You can enable or disable the fuzzy dice in the VC by setting 'EnableFuzzyDice=1' in your XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg file. The dice are disabled by default.
* The VC HUD won't be active until Beta-2; we are working on it. Note that *only* the HUD will be active in the VC for version 1.0; the VC controls will not be active until the Mk II release.
* There is a texture glitch on the cockpit paint on the optional red skin; this will be fixed in Beta-2.
* Steve pointed out that low-altitude flight heats up the hull faster than it should (this affects all XR vessels), so I will tweak this for Beta-2 and the next versions of the XR1 and XR5 as well. Note that high-altitude reentry heating should be about right, however.
* There is no payload support yet, although the payload bay camera and bay doors work. Payload support will be in Beta-2. In the meantime, you can set your payload mass directly by setting the 'CargoMass' cheatcode in your XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg file.
* Custom EVA meshes for Lee and Kara (the pilot and copilot) are not in the build yet: they will be in Beta-2. For now, you can use the existing EVA meshes common to all XR ships.
* There is no "custom cup" support for the VC yet; that is scheduled for Beta-2.
* Beta-2 will also include additional config file settings to enable/disable specific types of voice callouts. For Beta-1, all callouts are enabled.
* There is no custom ship editor support yet; that is scheduled for Beta-3.
* There is no flight manual yet; that is scheduled for Beta-4.

To test the XR2's flight envelope, for now you can simulate payload mass by setting the 'CargoMass' cheatcode setting in your XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg file.
The ship is still a little rough around the edges, but we plan to iron any issues out in Beta-2. I wanted to get the ship to the Beta team before the weekend, so apologies if I missed anything.
Also, to reiterate what I said in the Beta email, if you find a problem please be sure to test it in a *clean* installation before reporting the problem. If the problem only occurs with a specific add-on, please list the exact names and versions of all add-ons installed.

Thanks, and happy flying!

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
on the animatons windows. the escape ladder is there. when I press it. nothing happen or I dont see where it would appear

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
To clarify, when I said this:

* There is no custom ship editor support yet; that is scheduled for Beta-3.

...what that really means is, "The existing custom ship editor code has not been yet ported to the XR2."

Also, as a note to the testing team, this is still Beta-1 and so there are probably other corners of the code that have not been ported yet. Rest assured, all of those will be ported by Beta-3 -- I have a list to "todo" items here. So no need to report any of that stuff yet.

Good catch, though, JG. :)

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi, Doug, Coolhand

Coolhand you have done a fine job on the ship. The ship looks fantastic and the model has a real depth. I feel like there is real weight to the doors and moving parts.

Doug

I have double test the issue I have found and it only happens with the XR2. I have loaded a new copy of orbiter so the only add-on's I have installed are Orbiter sound, Ummu and the XR2. I start with the quick start scenario in the check list folder. I add the XR2 to the scenario with scenario editor. Then I click on one of the other ships listed in the editor. When I do this Orbiter dumps to the desk top. I wanted to make sure that is was not me or my pc so I loaded the XR1. When I add the XR1 to the scenario everything is fine I can pick other ships.

Thank you Doug for all your hard work.

Russ

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Animations are brilliant, as is the texturing.

A couple visual nits from my walkaround. The nav lights appear too large/bright. The tires have too much tread detail - radial grooves for water dispersion is normal. The ship seems a little heavy for single wheel main gear. Its reminiscent of fighter gear, but the XR is much larger.

I see the gear strut extension upon deployment, but no compression/extension on takeoff/landing. Will there be?

Doug, the VR call seems early. Its about 4-5 seconds before nose wheel begins to come up, vs ~3 sec for the XR1.

This ship is gonna be sweet!

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If someone saw me sitting here with this huge grin on my face, they'd probably call the nice men with the Xtra-long sleeved white shirts. :thumbsup:

I get a CTD if I try to switch vessel from XR2 to anything else but a default DG Mk4. It only happens when I'm in 2D panel view.

I also once got a huge hit in frame rate hit on a KSC ---> Brighton Beach flight. 17-25 fps compared to the usual 125-150 fps. But I haven't been able to reproduce that one yet.

I gotta go for another flight test. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms just by posting this:!:

:leaving:

PS: This is (of course) on a completely clean Orbiter Installation.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I get a CTD if I try to switch vessel from XR2 to anything else but a default DG Mk4. It only happens when I'm in 2D panel view.
Why on earth would you want to switch vessels?? :lol:
Same thing here.

Cale

Reaction score
I've had the same issue switching vessels (even to the default DG) on a clean installation. Doesn't matter which screen I'm in...2D panel, VC or external view.

That said, this spacecraft is an absolute joy to fly: lots of power from the main/SCRAM engines, handles nicely (though I think I need to re-calibrate my joystick) and is visually stunning. Steve and Doug, you two are truly steely-eyed missile men:cheers:

I've now added two MFD's to the mix and will report later on how well they integrate with the XR2: STSGuidance MFD (and older version by Richard Croy which worked well with the XR1 and XR5) and Mikey451's AutoFCS. I'm very curious to see how this puppy will handle an STS-like approach. More news when it comes.

Cheers,

Cale

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Animations are brilliant, as is the texturing.

A couple visual nits from my walkaround. The nav lights appear too large/bright. The tires have too much tread detail - radial grooves for water dispersion is normal. The ship seems a little heavy for single wheel main gear. Its reminiscent of fighter gear, but the XR is much larger.

I see the gear strut extension upon deployment, but no compression/extension on takeoff/landing. Will there be?

Doug, the VR call seems early. Its about 4-5 seconds before nose wheel begins to come up, vs ~3 sec for the XR1.

This ship is gonna be sweet!

I've asked doug about the compression, it's difficult to implement apparently because of the angle of the deployed gear... Had i known this i would have built them so they deployed down 90 degrees. I'd like them to squish down on landing, and also have the ship rock backward when you put the power on or lean forward with wheel brakes.

I've never been totally happy with the landing gear, i agree they could be chunkier, perhaps multi wheeled... it would mean some extensive modifications to the model, from the gear to the bays to the hull itself for bigger wheel wells... I would actually be willing to modify this if doug is willing to re-do the animation for everything related to the landing gear... which may be too much to ask of him as he's still got a lot to do, it would take me quite a while to make the modifications and the brand new improved gear too, but i'd do it.

I'd also like to move the touchdown points further forward to lower the takeoff speed... as well as some other tweaks with the mass distribution because it's a pretty hot takeoff and the elevators in flight are too effective imo and it's easy to get into a very high g turn and rip the wings off. but they have to be artificially too high powered to get the thing off the ground at the moment... I've suggested a switch to trim this out when in the air so you can get off the ground earlier than you can now - perhaps with even more elevator power (bigger maximum deflection angle i was thinking) but switch it to reduce the elevator response when in the air so you can't move the elevators so much - roughly 40% of what it is now. at higher altitudes you could have the extra elevator control back so you don't have to switch to RCS so early. it could be an extra setting on the AF control switch - off, pitch, full, half. kind of like this aircrafts version of adding flap for takeoff.

regarding nav lights, i'm wondering is it possible to add a bitmap to control the shape of the flare? the blobby glows aren't too appealing.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Btw, since i got one of your names wrong on the original patch (sorry) i posted in the other thread, here's a revised version, also further modified for better visibility at a maximum sig sized image of 150x150. i've included both if anyone wanted to add it to their sig then thats fine with me, as long as you're on the beta team of course.:)

If i've missed anyone or have misspelled anyones last name then let me know and i'll fix it.

I'm gonna see if i can get a table to work in my sig, so it wont interfere with the mod links in there... can anyone lend a hand with that? My HTML is a bit rusty;)

*edit* ok tex informs me that html can't be used in sigs... so no worries. if you want to add it to your sig, feel free to link to this one from my server, cheers. *

Attachments

• betateampatch.png
    betateampatch.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 55

Cale

Reaction score
Ok, have tried both STS Guidance and AutoFCS:

1. No problems so far with STS Guidance. The MFD was able to change the orbit altitude and plane alignment with no problems. Haven't used the rendezvous autopilot yet.

2. I copied and pasted an XR1 re-entry and landing scenario and inserted the XR2 in its place (again, in a clean installation). Even though my trajectory was a little off, AutoFCS flew the re-entry flawlessly with a perfect touchdown at KSC rwy 33. Once I figure out how to post screenies on this forum, I'll post some shots of the approach. Looks spectacular!:)

Cheers,

Cale

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
btw guys, could i ask that you try flying in the VC and 'pretending' that you're using the controls and displays in there... monitoring critical ship parameters and so on. I'm thinking about shuffling around a few items to make it as functional as possible, so if you have any suggestions for changes (i'm probably not going to re-position entire panels or anything that will affect geometry) to make it more usable then let me know.. it'll be a long while before the VC is functional so it's best to get these things ironed out before doug puts the code in place.

Cale

Reaction score
One thing I noticed for the "Ready for Takeoff to ISS" scenario is that the XR2 is positioned on rwy 33. As this scenario requires a course of 134 degrees to align with the ISS, I modified the scenario to start at the other end of the runway (rwy 15). It makes for an easier turn onto the proper orbit insertion course. How should I go about posting if anyone's interested?

Cheers,

Cale

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've never been totally happy with the landing gear, i agree they could be chunkier, perhaps multi wheeled... it would mean some extensive modifications to the model, from the gear to the bays to the hull itself for bigger wheel wells... I would actually be willing to modify this if doug is willing to re-do the animation for everything related to the landing gear... which may be too much to ask of him as he's still got a lot to do, it would take me quite a while to make the modifications and the brand new improved gear too, but i'd do it.
Actually, the "weight" of them appears ok. Adding another wheel may be enough. But regarding the animations, agreed. Maybe he could do it some Tuesday.;)

I'd also like to move the touchdown points further forward to lower the takeoff speed... as well as some other tweaks with the mass distribution because it's a pretty hot takeoff and the elevators in flight are too effective imo and it's easy to get into a very high g turn and rip the wings off.
As I've discovered. If you don't unload the pitch quickly, you're hosed.:) I'll also be looking forward to the temperature fix. She's a nimble little minx, isn't she? Almost too hot to handle.:)

I've suggested a switch to trim this out when in the air so you can get off the ground earlier than you can now - perhaps with even more elevator power (bigger maximum deflection angle i was thinking) but switch it to reduce the elevator response when in the air so you can't move the elevators so much - roughly 40% of what it is now. at higher altitudes you could have the extra elevator control back so you don't have to switch to RCS so early. it could be an extra setting on the AF control switch - off, pitch, full, half. kind of like this aircrafts version of adding flap for takeoff.
This is normally handled by the FCS, based on weight and dynamic pressure maybe. I don't know if a switch would work, as, if I use full stick deflection I would want sufficient control surface deflection under the circumstances to effect a maximum allowable G-load. Right now, its an idiosyncracy of the spacecraft - something for the pilot to stay on top of and worthy of some warnings in the flight manual maybe. Let's see what others think (especially Doug);)
regarding nav lights, i'm wondering is it possible to add a bitmap to control the shape of the flare? the blobby glows aren't too appealing.
Yea, not being a vessel dev, I didn't know. I hope its something changeable.

Speaking of which, is it possible to move the start of the smoke/particle trail back farther? It kind of detracts from the nice exhaust graphic.

-----Double Post Auto-Merged 2/8/2008 at 05 : 40 : 31-----

btw guys, could i ask that you try flying in the VC and 'pretending' that you're using the controls and displays in there... monitoring critical ship parameters and so on. I'm thinking about shuffling around a few items to make it as functional as possible, so if you have any suggestions for changes (i'm probably not going to re-position entire panels or anything that will affect geometry) to make it more usable then let me know.. it'll be a long while before the VC is functional so it's best to get these things ironed out before doug puts the code in place.
I'll take a peek once the HUD is working. Since I'm building a physical XR(ish) flightdeck, I'm interested in seeing how it looks.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
oh, Doug and myself have discussed the flight model at length and i've put many flight hours in testing it... You think it's nimble now. lol.

It's extremely twitchy in pitch like the XR1 is also twitchy. have to be very careful how you fly it for sure. Problem that we have is that you're already taking off at over 400mph so reducing the elevator strength for safer handling is not really possible... we conducted a test and a setup that i found to feel fantastic in the air which felt completely right for it's size and purpose - which is also plenty manuverable imo - was taking off at 500mph, so you just had to totally chop the throttle when the nose lifts and gear up ASAP. The current build feels like it would out turn a jet fighter, which is more turn performance than i'd like but doug seems happy with it.

Doug has put a cheat code in (or will do) after my persistent nagging that will change the function of the AF pitch rheostat, so you'll have off, half, full. instead of the usual settings if you enable this code though it may not have any graphical changes related to enabling the code. you'll also be able to set a higher than normal value for one mode, enabling a shorter takeoff at a lower speed... in fact both modes will be tunable which is cool. FLCS would take care of it nicely of course, but afaik, there's no support for this in the XR series. other things like changing the mass distribution manually to put more weight in the stern / reduce from the nose- which would help regardless of the strength of the elevators seem difficult to accomplish, though i can think of way that those values could be tuned. I think it's a wee bit heavy in the nose.

A thing that i haven't talked to Doug about, but i've realised recently seems to be missing from all the XR craft (or is extemely subtle) is a simulation of short-period pitch oscillation, which if you compare the DGIV or the DGEX you can see the effect quite clearly in their flight models. basically if you pull up you get a quick change in angle of attack and then it settles out. With the XR2 its like you get that quick stab and it keeps on going, maybe there's room for some refinement there?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I have double test the issue I have found and it only happens with the XR2. I have loaded a new copy of orbiter so the only add-on's I have installed are Orbiter sound, Ummu and the XR2. I start with the quick start scenario in the check list folder. I add the XR2 to the scenario with scenario editor. Then I click on one of the other ships listed in the editor. When I do this Orbiter dumps to the desk top. I wanted to make sure that is was not me or my pc so I loaded the XR1. When I add the XR1 to the scenario everything is fine I can pick other ships.

Thank you Doug for all your hard work.

Russ

Thanks, Russ, I hadn't tested switching vessels yet -- that's a good catch! I'll fix that for Beta-2.

yagni01 said:
As I've discovered. If you don't unload the pitch quickly, you're hosed.:) I'll also be looking forward to the temperature fix. She's a nimble little minx, isn't she? Almost too hot to handle.

Yes, the XR2 has a lot of power. You really have to throttle back to 50% thrust right after takeoff. Regarding heating rate in dense atmosphere, the heating rate is actually several percent lower than the Vanguard's, but you notice it a lot more in the XR2 because of its power-to-weight ratio. As I said, I'll look into tweaking the heating algorithm for all XR-class vessels.

Coolhand said:
I've suggested a switch to trim this out when in the air so you can get off the ground earlier than you can now - perhaps with even more elevator power (bigger maximum deflection angle i was thinking) but switch it to reduce the elevator response when in the air so you can't move the elevators so much - roughly 40% of what it is now. at higher altitudes you could have the extra elevator control back so you don't have to switch to RCS so early. it could be an extra setting on the AF control switch - off, pitch, full, half. kind of like this aircrafts version of adding flap for takeoff.

Coolhand and I have discussed this further at great length over email, and there are several reasons why adding an additional switch for this isn't practical. However, the compromise we decided on is this: for those advanced pilots who want "dual-mode elevator functionality," I will add three new optional cheatcode settings to repurpose the seldom-used "Pitch" seeting on the AF Ctrl rheostat; they are:

ModifiedAFControlPitchOption = [0 or 1]: if enabled, when the "Pitch" setting on AF control is selected the ship will instantly apply both multipliers specified below to the elevators instead of just limiting AF control to pitch.
ModifiedElevatorAreaMultipliers = a b : multipliers to apply to the elevator area (changes pitch rate) when ModifiedAFControlPitchOption=1 and the pilot selects "Pitch" AF Control. : a = multiplier for "Pitch" setting, b = multiplier for "On" setting
ModifiedAileronAreaMultipliers = a b : multipliers to apply to the aileron area (changes roll rate) when ModifiedAFControlPitchOption=1 and the pilot selects "Pitch" AF Control a = multiplier for "Pitch" setting, b = multiplier for "On" setting

Note that if ModifiedAFControlPitchOption=1, "AF Ctrl = Pitch" will still allow the pilot to control both roll and pitch: multiplier 'a' would be applied with you set AF Ctrl to "Pitch" and multiplier 'b' would be applied when you set AF Ctrl to "On." That will allow advanced pilots to alter pitch and/or roll performance in mid-flight, and it will not complicate the interface for novice pilots, push back the release date significantly, or cost me extra $$$ for additional voice callouts. :)

For example, setting this:

ModifiedElevatorAreaMultipliers = 1.40 0.50

...will set your elevator area modifier for "AF Ctrl=Pitch" to 1.40 (40% higher power than normal, which you could use during takeoff) and your elevator area modifier for "AF Ctrl=On" to 0.50 (half normal power, which you could use during flight).

As I said, this is for advanced pilots who want to alter elevator performance in mid-flight; novice pilots will not need to worry about these settings.

Coolhand said:
A thing that i haven't talked to Doug about, but i've realised recently seems to be missing from all the XR craft (or is extemely subtle) is a simulation of short-period pitch oscillation, which if you compare the DGIV or the DGEX you can see the effect quite clearly in their flight models. basically if you pull up you get a quick change in angle of attack and then it settles out. With the XR2 its like you get that quick stab and it keeps on going, maybe there's room for some refinement there?

That is very likely because the DGIV and DGEX aren't as neutral as XR vessels -- I put a large amount of effort into making XR vessels fly as smoothly as possible. The reason is because any oscillations make the ship "twitchier," especially when under autopilot control and/or at lower frame rates. I usually test my autopilots at 4x time acceleration or more to lower the effective frames-per-second to about 10 to show (and then fix as much as possible) any oscillation problems. This is why you can engage the Attitude Hold autopilot at 10x time acceleration during reentry and still have it hold a stable attitude all the way down. Don't try that in other Orbiter craft, or you're in for a surprise. :)

In other words, the reason that XR vessels fly so smoothly without oscillations is because I've worked hard to make them fly that way. To put it yet another way, "This behavior is by design." :)