Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
If you can PM me the scenario I'll be happy to take a look here. It could well be a bug of some sort.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I've found the conditions needed to reproduce the bug I've described. There must be OrbiterSound module enabled, 'Start paused' checkbox checked and 'EXTCOOLING_STATUS 1' string present in the scenario file being loaded. The bug was successfully reproduced with all vessels of the XR fleet.

KCB

Reaction score
Website
www.vpacconcept.org
Not sure if this is the place for this question? Im trying to skin the interior of the XR-5 cockpit, when you zoom in you see the two pilots and behind them some instrument texturing, behind that its all pail grey! Is it possible to texture the back of the cockpit? Where are these surfaces?
thanks

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've found the conditions needed to reproduce the bug I've described. There must be OrbiterSound module enabled, 'Start paused' checkbox checked and 'EXTCOOLING_STATUS 1' string present in the scenario file being loaded. The bug was successfully reproduced with all vessels of the XR fleet.

Thanks for pinning that down. I just debugged it here and unfortunately the CTD is occurring two levels down inside OrbiterSound after it trashes the stack and consequently executes a 'ret' to a random memory location -- it appears OrbiterSound does not like loading and playing a sound during the very first frame of the simulation. I coded a workaround for the next XR releases to not play the cooling line extension sound effect if simulation time [i.e., time since startup] is less than 0.5 second.

Not sure if this is the place for this question? Im trying to skin the interior of the XR-5 cockpit, when you zoom in you see the two pilots and behind them some instrument texturing, behind that its all pail grey! Is it possible to texture the back of the cockpit? Where are these surfaces?
thanks

Russell Hicks would know for sure, but I believe those textures are in cockpit.dds and cockpit_2.dds in your Textures\XR5Vanguard directory.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I coded a workaround for the next XR releases to not play the cooling line extension sound effect if simulation time [i.e., time since startup] is less than 0.5 second.

Could I ask you to make this workaround to work not only with external cooling sound effect? I've found some other conditions causing CTD on a paused startup, not with external cooling only. For example, XR2 attached to landed Energia on a startup displays a Master Alarm with a signal of gears being broken (I guess XR2 doesn't undestand that it isn't crashed but attached to other vessel - but I'd say it wasn't designed to fly that way anyway:)). And if the simulation is paused on a startup it results in CTD, unchecking 'Start paused' makes the same scenario to load normally (but with gears being broken anyway). And I think there can be many other conditions with the same result.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I use the Energia to launch the XR2 all the time. Best way to do it, since none of them are spacecraft3, and the Energia has that excellent payload manager, is spawn both craft, then attach the XR2, then go into the scenario editor and force it to raise the gear. Then blast off.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Could I ask you to make this workaround to work not only with external cooling sound effect? I've found some other conditions causing CTD on a paused startup, not with external cooling only. For example, XR2 attached to landed Energia on a startup displays a Master Alarm with a signal of gears being broken (I guess XR2 doesn't undestand that it isn't crashed but attached to other vessel - but I'd say it wasn't designed to fly that way anyway:)). And if the simulation is paused on a startup it results in CTD, unchecking 'Start paused' makes the same scenario to load normally (but with gears being broken anyway). And I think there can be many other conditions with the same result.

I've seen this too in senarios I created with the XR 2 parked and powered down, starting paused. Un-pausing results in a Master Alarm with a main gear collapse. Exiting and restarting resolves the issue.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I use the Energia to launch the XR2 all the time. Best way to do it, since none of them are spacecraft3, and the Energia has that excellent payload manager, is spawn both craft, then attach the XR2, then go into the scenario editor and force it to raise the gear. Then blast off.

I do the same when I want it that way. What I tried to stress here is that OrbiterSound/StartPaused CTD can be caused not by external cooling only. But maybe this bug have to be adressed to dansteph after all.

I've seen this too in senarios I created with the XR 2 parked and powered down, starting paused. Un-pausing results in a Master Alarm with a main gear collapse. Exiting and restarting resolves the issue.

Funny thing, I can reproduce this bug you're describing, but it's retro engines what fails in my case instead of gears.

ProAuroraX

Resident Insane Person
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello again. I have a problem with fuel on the XR2. Every time i run out of fuel, the Scenario Editor will not refuel my ship. I have tried editing the config file to where it refuels everywhere, but when I try to refuel I'm not getting any pressure. Any idea what the problem could be?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Refueling is detailed in the section titled Replenishing Fuel and LOX Tanks on page 37 of the XR Flight Operations Manual. If you'd rather refuel the ship by "cheating" (e.g., via the scenario editor) while landed, you will need to enable Orbiter refueling by setting 'OrbiterAutoRefuelingEnabled=1' in your XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg file:

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Enable or disable Orbiter's default auto-refueling behavior when
# touching down on a landing pad.
#
# You should set this value to 1 (Orbiter auto-refueling enabled) only if you
# want Orbiter to automatically and instantly refuel you when you touch down on a landing pad.
#
# If you will only be using the XR2's built-in refueling features, leave
# this value set to its default of 0 (Orbiter auto-refueling disabled).
#
#   0 = Orbiter auto-refueling disabled (recommended)
#   1 = Orbiter auto-refueling enabled
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
OrbiterAutoRefuelingEnabled=[COLOR="Red"]1[/COLOR]

If you aren't landed, you should be able to refuel the ship using the scenario editor even with the default 'OrbiterAutoRefuelingEnabled=0' setting. You can always just use the XR's built-in refueling features, though, if you are landed or docked.

guyhill

Reaction score
Running any one of the skin demoes that come with the latest XR2 distribution gives a CTD on my machine, at least when using D3D9 (RC34). With the old DX7 renderer, XR2 custom skins work fine, as far as I can tell. Is some sort of conversion of the textures required, perhaps? Or might this be a bug?

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have been able to run a custom skin in the D3D9 (RC34) with no problem. Didn't have to do anything special to the textures to get them to work.

guyhill

Reaction score
I did some more experimenting, and I found that my problem with custom skins is most probably not an XR2 issue, but a D3D9 one. Apparently, file names for texture files may not be longer than a certain length.

This one does not work on my system:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbiter2010\Textures\XR2Ravenstar\Skins\AngelBlack\top_hull_colour_XR2_paint.dds

Renaming the skin directory to AngelBlac does work:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbiter2010\Textures\XR2Ravenstar\Skins\AngelBlac\top_hull_colour_XR2_paint.dds
Sorry for wasting your time. I'll report this in the D3D9 thread.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have a skin question. I was messing about on a new CARGOBAY file to replace the interior of the doors to that of a solar panel texture, and was hoping (As I have multiple XR-2s in my scenario) that only certain ones would have this texture, and thought that by having that file in the skin folder would do the trick, much like the bottom_hull file that so many skins use to override that texture as well as the top part, but it does not seem to work.

Am I correct in assuming that skins only work for the top_hull_colour and the bottom_hull files?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yes, custom skins require code support in the XR DLLs to load a given texture for a given vessel on startup. It would be possible to add code to support other custom textures in a future release, but only the hull custom textures are supported currently.

Tommy

Reaction score
Another way to refuel the XR-2 (or XR-5) is to use the cargo management controls to create a loaded fuel cargo - which will promptly transfer it's fuel to the XR. Just remove and replace the fuel cargo until the tanks are full.

SpecialKaye87

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am thoroughly impressed with the graphics, performance, design, and functionality of all the XR vessels. There's a ship for every purpose. My only hope is to see the XR vessels be integratable with DGIV payloads :)

Furet

Reaction score
...My only hope is to see the XR vessels be integratable with DGIV payloads :)

Sorry if you already know about these addons, but XR2 and XR5 UCGO cargo platforms are a very convenient way to carry UCGO boxes with XR vessels (see [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4571"]XR2 UCGO Cargo Platform v2.2[/ame] and [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4572"]XR5 UCGO Cargo Platform v2.0[/ame] ). There is also [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4657"]UCGO Cargo Container[/ame].

As a last resort, you can use Universal Cargo Deck ( [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3262"]Universal Cargo Deck, release 4[/ame] with [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3312"]Universal Cargo Deck carrier for the XR5[/ame] )

Last edited:

Kazkabel

Reaction score
Possible bug XR2
MainFuelISP=0 take effects fuel 13943kg
MainFuelISP=1 no effects main fuel 13943kg
MainFuelISP=2 no effects main fuel 13943kg
MainFuelISP=3 no effects main fuel 13943kg
MainFuelISP=4 no effects main fuel 13943kg
MainFuelISP=5 no effects main fuel 13943kg
MainFuelISP=6 no effects main fuel 13943kg
MainFuelISP=7 no effects main fuel 13943kg