Search XR-2 3D Virtual Cockpit

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
I've been looking for an addon for a virtual cockpit for the XR-2. The search bar doesn't like 2-letter abbreviations like XR-2 so I can't use that. I'm sure someone knows where I can find it. (I've seen it on Youtube)

And just a little side question: Is there a Virtual cockpit for the XR-5? It's my favorite vessel in the XR class, and I'd love to fly the behemoth with a 3D VC

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
A active VC is planned for the XR2 MKII though you can still use the static VC in the XR 2 by pressing the F8 key :thumbup: I don't think there's one planned for the XR-5 though

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
A active VC is planned for the XR2 MKII though you can still use the static VC in the XR 2 by pressing the F8 key :thumbup: I don't think there's one planned for the XR-5 though

Wow, fast reply! :thumbup:

Anyway, I've been using the static one for awhile, but in this youtube vid,
(
)
The person flying uses a 3D VC, which I've never seen before and is what I'm searching for. And an XR-2 MKII? Can't wait!

EDIT: Somehow after moths of flying I've never seen it!
How is that even possible?:beathead:

Last edited:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
The VC in the video is the static one I'm talking about :thumbup: you should be able to switch to it by pressing F8.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Heh, no problem :cheers:

datubaman

Reaction score
So we have clarified that the 3D cockpit already exists.

But, if you want a TRUE 3D cockpit, then you need to talk to James Cameron.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Maybe this clarifies the terminology a little better:

A static VC does not offer interoperability, so you can not push buttons or open MFDs.
A fully functional does.
The HUD however is not part of the VC when it comes to the XR2 with regards to this definition. This is rather exceptional of Coolhand and Doug and they should be hailed for it!

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
But, if you want a TRUE 3D cockpit, then you need to talk to James Cameron.

If we're talking special effects, computer generated, there's nothing special about 'James Cameron's' 3d models, at least not in the sense of being more 3d than any other, including any model displayed in Orbiters 3d engine.

3D for PC gaming has been available for far longer than hollywoods recent interest in it. Nvidia for example have been providing drivers which do this with their hardware for many years now.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
3D for PC gaming has been available for far longer than hollywoods recent interest in it. Nvidia for example have been providing drivers which do this with their hardware for many years now.

Yes, in fact, I've tried Nvidia's 3D vision system with Orbiter, and it works perfectly.

The downside is that their 3D visions kit requires a monitor that can work at 120hz, which is something most can't... Also you need to be wearing the goggles all the time :cool:

But yeah, as far as 2D vs virtual cockpit terminology goes, here's a glossary based on the FS community terms:

2D Panel: A 2D version of the cockpit. may or may not have more than one module (like the XR vessels do). Always expected to be functional

2D View: A static image of a section of the cockpit. Usually used for side, diagonals and rear views. These are non-functioning... being there only to add nice visuals to an otherwise empty view of the outside.

VC : Virtual Cockpit. A cockpit modelled as a 3D mesh, so you can rotate your viewpoint all around, and zoom in and out. Does not imply having funcional instruments.

DVC: Dynamic Virtual Cockpit. Same as above, but features functioning instruments and gauges. Some feature clickable areas, but that isn't implied by definition.

Active DVC: A virtual cockpit that is funcional AND interactive, it features clickable areas as well as working gauges and instruments. This is the most complete implementation of a virtual cockpit possible.

Mind that no definition implies that a cockpit will have every single on of it's buttons, switches and gauges operational... even in the best ones, a few items will only be there as eye-candy. That's to be expected anyways... what need does one have for cabin temperature control in a computer simulation? Just turn on the heat in your own room :thumbup:

Cheers