Question What kind of car do you drive or wish to own?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

Me and my father don't mind the Mazda 6, in fact we almost got one. But our next car is a Nissian X-Trail

And as for what car to get, Don't get a Kia.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm seriously thinking VW, particularly since the new VW plant will be here in Chattanooga (i'm very nearby). But they won't be producing cars yet near the time I'm ready to purchase one.

If you get the chance, drop by and greet my brother then, he is currently high in the list for getting send to the USA for getting production started. :hello:

What is your approved budget anyway? Maybe a small BMW would be a good compromise for your wife. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series

Not that I want to make too much advertisement for German cars, but I can't see much fun in Toyota or Honda, a friend is a staunch Mazda fan though, and I can see his reasons... and the French cars are also not too bad, though I have a problem with their design.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
1995 Mazda Miata
100_1431.jpg
It currently has 105,000 mi (168.000 km to our European friends) on it and still going strong.
I've owned it since '98 when I joined the Navy. Any Navy vets here might know what an "Ensignmobile" is. This is mine.
The pic is from when I returned from deployment to find that my wife had had the car repainted. (It had stripes before but they were looking pretty ratty.) My daughter is looking forward to driving it.

Ark

Reaction score
'87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. 5.2L, Edlebrock 4 barrel, long tube headers with 2.5" exhaust.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
...drop by and greet my brother then, he is currently high in the list for getting send to the USA for getting production started. :hello:

Too Cool! :thumbup:
Does he have the wife and child upgrade? And is he looking to buy land/house, looking for school for child, etc...?

As far as budget, I'm probably limited to $20K (American), which is why the Mercedes SLS is really and truely not an option (but I can dream, she can't take my dreams from me). I like BMW's, but I'm not yuppie enough to drive one. Audi perhaps?

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
2005 Toyota Harrier.

387952121_b9b7742d66.jpg

And I rarely drive it, preferring mass transit -- after 4 years, it only has 25,000 km on it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Audi perhaps?

Nice cars, but usually already outside the 20K budget, maybe except a used car (Except the A2 - who owns a Audi A2 is usually not selling it, but gives them to who ever defeats him in mortal combat). Even the A3 is starting at $27,270.

A friend bought a SEAT Leon lately which is only slightly outside your 20K budget. New cars are not that cheap today. And there is no SEAT dealer in the USA.

Last edited:

Moonwalker

Reaction score
I don't drive a car "at the moment". But that moment might extend way ahead into the future. Firstly because I still don't have a drivers licence yet. Secondly because I won't drive a car and get a drivers licence as long as electric cars are not common and cheap. What I don't like on todays common cars is that it's still based on fossil fuel consuming piston drive technology. I don't like the smell and I don't like the idea of supporting the oil mafia as well.

People might misunderstand my attitude. I'm not the kind of a climate change alarmist. Quite the opposite. I'm even glad on global warming rather than on cooling. I'm also intelligent enough to know that me an any politicans won't influence any climate change, less than ever by money, resolutions and smart sounding hot air. But I nevertheless don't like pollution and environmental exploitation. I'm not talking about CO2, which is no pollution at all. I'm talking about other emissions and oil generally. Another annoying thing to me is that the streets are overloaded with cars. It's really annoying, especially in the morning. What a stressful world we live in meanwhile.

Strange: the majority of climate alarmists drive cars, and partly even the biggest ones and/or oldest ones. Schizophrenic world. At least nobody can reproach me for my climate "sceptical" attitude. I'm contributing least of what fits into the arlamist supporting theory.

Anyway, instead I like bikes. It's quite cheap. I don't pay any taxes, less than ever fuel (I'm 99,9%, well, if not 100% independent). And I can do all the maintenance, which is cheap anyway, by myself. Bicycling keeps me quite healthy all along, even during winter, for 15 years now. It's no problem for me to drive 20km to work there and 20km back. Doesn't even take 45 mintues for one trip mostly.

So I can't keep pace with a certain or any brand of cars here, but with a brand of bikes. I prefer the US brand Schwinn:

59%20Schwinn%20Sierra%207%20Mens%20-%20Silver.jpg

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
You guys wish you had my car :lol::

btf3.JPG

But seriously, I'm probably getting a Jeep.

Spicer

Reaction score
I drive a 2000 Mustang 3.8 v6 since it was brand new. This is the best car I've ever owned. It's the car I'll wish I had when I'm 45.

P.S. I loathe hybrid drivers. I get good gas mileage, and have a car that's fun to drive.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have a red 2008.5 Mazda MazdaSpeed3 Grand Touring. Great little car, 265 HP, six speed, nice stereo, room for 2 car seats in the back seat, hits 60mph in under 6 seconds, and still gets 30+ mpg(mixed highway/city) if I keep my foot out of it!

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ya but they are paying more so that the tech gets cheaper to make, and hybrids and other tech will get stronger and faster! Imagine driving something like what I drive (400hp muscle truck) and it still gets 30 mpg! Not so bad dealing with the smugness and still getting a good benefit in the end.:cheers:

I drive a big bad ass truck (with no regret) but it doesn't make it right to bash people who are trying to do what they think is good.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hybrids are a foul compromise - the energy for a hybrid is still produced by a combustion engine, and converted into electricity with losses. The consumption of a modern Hybrid and a modern downsized combustion engine is almost equal, all advantages of hybrid design are lost because of weight and conversion, while combustion engines still have many possible directions for optimization.

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
I tend to think of it in terms of moderation. If you drive tens of thousands of nautical miles (since we're in an Orbiter forum, why not use that measurement? :p) per year, then perhaps you should consider a vehicle that emits less waste gases. The Earth doesn't have a lithium hydroxide canister to exchange, after all.

Or, if you're like me, and only use a motor vehicle for short commutes and the occasional trip to the grocery store, then why not have a MegaChariot? When I retire I plan to have a big honking camper and tour the country with it. I figure I will have saved up enough carbon points by then....