Virtual Nations Game

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
Some of my friends and I have started up a forum-based RPG called "Virtual Nations". In the game, you play the role of a government or leader of any country in the world (provided that country isn't taken yet).

Anyway, I thought to post it here, as I thought some people might be interested.

In the game, you can make decisions much like a real government would. You can wage wars, trade military technology, make alliances and build empires as well as simply developing your country. Beware though, as you nation's population and other countries will respond to your decisions. These responses can be good or bad. Approval ratings play a role and if they get too low, you may have a coup or a revolution on your hands, depending on who it is that hates you.

Space exploration is also a feature, and getting resources from the moon or whatnot can be a great way to raise your prestige as well as get rich.

To make things more interesting, we have erased all real-world international relations as well as all international organizations (including the UN). We also allow you to customize your country's foreign/internal policy and system of government.

We also created a storyline. It's rather long, but here's a summary: (alternate history) In Russia, a large amount of oil rivaling or even exceeding that of Saudi Arabia is found. An "oil rush" occurs with oil companies almost killing each other to gain control of the Siberian oil fields. In Moscow, a group of communists come up with a plan to create another October Revolution. They manage to get the commanding officer of a large Russian field army on their side as well, and begin the revolution by launching missiles, which kill President Putin and his entire cabinet (2007). A civil war begins, as the communists are not able to capture Russia entirely and bloody battles begin between them and the troops still loyal to the old Russian government.

Don't say "impossible", remember that this is fiction. Players may take advantage of the turmoil or attempt to end the conflict.

If you like this concept, and want to register, there are a few simple rules:
-Don't ruin it for everyone
-Pointless decisions (such as launching nuclear missiles the second you join the game) will be reversed.
-It also helps to type the way a country would. Could you imagine a real world leader yelling "0MG u n00b"?

The following countries have been registered or reserved so far:
-United States
-United Kingdom
-France
-Germany
-Norway
-Poland
-Japan
-Israel
-Russia (unplayable because of civil war)
-Netherlands
-Australia
-North Korea
-Brazil
-Austria
-PRC
-Taiwan
-India
-Pakistan
-UAE
-Andorra
-Canada
-Italy
-Iraq

If you were to register, I would recommend the following countries, though you may choose any other that is not taken:
-Turkey
-South Korea
-Spain
-Syria
-Saudi Arabia
-Kuwait
-Egypt
-South Africa
-Venezuela
-Argentina
-Cuba
-Sweden
-Finland
(list not updated)

If you want to register, register as the name of the country you want to be, not your nick.

The link to the forums is: http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=virtualnations

Once again, it would be fun for everyone if a few people joined, and the more people we have, the more fun the game gets.

PS: Tex said I can post it here.

Last edited:

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
If you make war, you will not have enough money for space exploration, because countries that could partner to go to space would be at war, and poverty that results from war shrinks markets of countries at war, and war expense significantly cut the available budget to go to space.

If you study enough history you find that you have weapon industry that wants to make money. So it seeks wish of power of world leaders to start making money. Weapon manufacturer economic tactics could range from selling weapons to both sides, to funding strikes inside the country that could pay for weapons to convince population that there is national security threat, so they go to war against someone.

So if your virtual nations is about war, you may have a very rare ocassion to go to space.

Even if moon was made of gold, bringing that gold is too expensive that it would not be profitable. So profit would not be a good reason either. The reason would be pride, scientific curiousity to understand our universe.

So I would suggest to redesign your game, so it becomes a space race. Less poverty means more taxpayers to fund your space program. Less war means more countries with more taxpayers to partner and fund your space race.

In today's globalized world, poverty here means jobs fleeing to countries that are poor. So if you want to simulate economics accurately, you might need to simulate trade and globalization of job markets.

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
Interesting...

*signs up as Australia*

Though, what do you mean, major leaders wouldn't say stuff like "OMG, HAX! K1KC!" :p
Glad you signed up. I'm Poland in-game.

Anyway, the game hasn't quite gotten going yet, so this would be a good time to research you country's military and what you want to do.

You haven't been given country status yet, as Jason (USA/Virtual Nations/Admin) isn't on. I'm sure you will have that full status by tomorrow.

As for the talking thing, just try to talk the way you would on this forum.
Also referring to your country in the 3rd person (Poland wishes to make an alliance with Australia) usually sounds better.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
May I become Iran? :lol:

And what is it about now?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What do you mean?

What except staying alive for longer than 25 nanoseconds is goal of the game? I have just read I can play Iran, now I just wonder, what the hell I am playing. :p

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Looks interesting.

[Steals Canada]

Now off to play the game!

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
has north korea been taken yet ?

-----Post Added-----

and is my user name the country I want to be ?

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You haven't been given country status yet, as Jason (USA/Virtual Nations/Admin) isn't on.

USA is the country admin? This game is way too realistic for me. :p

Now before I sign up, what does "playing" this game look like? The URL points to a forum-like website. Is it just basically posting your actions on the forum, and use your imagination? Then, how are the actions of players limited? Are there rules that say what is possible and what isn't? If it's just moderators who judge actions, or left to the general consensus on the forum, I'm afraid it will be a very long game with lots of discussion and frustration.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok how do I add a signature on there ?
EDIT1:North Korea has been taken by me

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
has north korea been taken yet ?

Doesn't north Korea have nuclear bombs?

:sos:

Now before I sign up, what does "playing" this game look like? The URL points to a forum-like website. Is it just basically posting your actions on the forum, and use your imagination? Then, how are the actions of players limited? Are there rules that say what is possible and what isn't? If it's just moderators who judge actions, or left to the general consensus on the forum, I'm afraid it will be a very long game with lots of discussion and frustration.

Yes this is a kind of odd game, just because none of the rules are automatically regulated.

If this game where to go less military actions (although that could be included) and more spaceflight/any technology s, then we could say, use the money that the forum presents us, say for a mission to the Moon. Then use Orbiter to actually fly that mission, and post the results on the forum.

The only kindof rotton thing, is it seems to be real time. There is no way it can be real time... How would I be able to conquer Mars? :(

Also, whoever is USA and Europe, will have a tough time accurately simulating all those Shuttle, Soyuz and Progress launches. :)

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score

No. This has been tried and tested in the past attempts. The US guy is trustworthy and keeps his own business and the game's official business separated.

Players post their moves and plans and the moderators process them.
Generally, the more people there is, the more intense the game gets.

PS: If anyone else wants to join, I would prefer that you stick to the far east and the middle east, it would also be great to have a good China player and India and Pakistan maybe.

PPS: It is not real time. The time is sped up x4 (1 VN year = 3 months), and yes, space exploration will be a major part, though we haven't really decided on how that would be handled yet.

Remember that your technology level in-game will play a role. Most countries here would have to spend a crudload of money to get this technology, so my recommendation is to team up with other countries that have the same goals.