Gaming Video games you want to see turned into movies

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
How boring...FPS as movie...Not that I don't like FPS, but I don't think they are even nearly as good as movie. Maybe Duke Nukem 3D could have a chance..

Yes. It turns first person interactive experience into a 3rd person passive experience. It will lose any ludology in it, since movies are mostly non interactive narratology. Games that rely on ludology like solitaire or asteroids would have a hard time becoming a movie.

What would I like turned into a movie?
Mechwarrior 2
Battlezone
Freespace
Wing Commander (the movie they made was only WC in its title, as it seems a mutant version of the original game)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Metal Gear Solid - the original, for PSOne. The writing and plot would need to be improved, but it has potential I think.

And a remake of Wing Commander, but this time based on Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger. Sadly, I think Mark Hamill is to old to reprise the role from the game. It would unfortunately probably fall to someone like Ben "Aflac"

Castlevania. Someone needs to quell the recent upward trend in vampire-friendly movies.

Going to make a stretch here and say Champions of Krynn, but more based on the Dragonlance Chronicles book series than the actual game. I know that's a weak tie-in to a video game, but I would pay so much money to go see 4 movies based on that series.

If the Halo movies were made, I would hope they would be better and not have the same effect on me as the games, in that the first movie would be the most awesome I've ever seen and still love, and the ending to the second movie would piss me off so badly I wouldn't even rent the third one just out of spite, let alone go see it at the movies or own it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Fall from Heaven mod series for Civilization IV would also make a nice fantasy movie...

EDIT: And the best replacement for Mark Hamil would be definitely Orlando Bloom. He also looks way cooler with a saber.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good to see you're all wary of Mr Boll.

I would like to see Homeworld (the first one...made of pure awesome) made into a movie, even though it doesn't look like we'll ever get another game in the series, let alone a movie... (giant sad face here)

Also, Ace Combat 5 (Or Zero). It was already like a movie anyway, but it's too good to skip mentioning. It already has a movie-grade soundtrack too, so that's one less thing to do.

'Orbiter: The Movie' is nearly laughable, sorry. If I were to make a movie out of a sim, it would be out of one of the Silent Hunters (come to think of it...:hmm:)

Halo as a movie? The way Bungie has treated the series since it became successful, it would be awful. The Covenant had a fairly good backstory, but they threw all that out the window so they could fit in MOAR MASTER CHIEF LOL AWESOME.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After what he's done to Alone in the Dark, I'd like him to be alone in the dark with some folks from Alone in the Dark. That would be a New Nightmare for him.
Also, if he likes boxing so much, lock him in a room with M.Bison. Same effect.

Ark

Reaction score
Mass Effect would make a good TV series if it had a massive budget. The ensemble cast doesn't lend itself to a movie.

bwog

Reaction score
The Fall from Heaven mod series for Civilization IV would also make a nice fantasy movie...

EDIT: And the best replacement for Mark Hamil would be definitely Orlando Bloom. He also looks way cooler with a saber.
I'd rather have a normal Civ IV movie, not one based on a mod.

I can only think of kiddy games I played when I was little :p Anyone want to see Tonka Raceway as a movie?

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
a remake of Wing Commander, but this time based on Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger. Sadly, I think Mark Hamill is to old to reprise the role from the game.

Wing commander III is already referred to as an "Interactive Movie". Personally I think that removing the interactive part may be a bad idea, but if the spacecraft graphics get the "Avatar make-over" (Yes, I DID make that up on the spot :p ) then that would be more than enough to compensate

triplepogi2009

Reaction score
Also, Ace Combat 5 (Or Zero). It was already like a movie anyway, but it's too good to skip mentioning. It already has a movie-grade soundtrack too, so that's one less thing to do.

Now THAT'S AN IDEA!
Ace Combat 5 is the best in my opinion...
I know, why not combine both, I mean, ACZ and AC5 are set 15 years apart, in the same continent write?
And urwumpe, don't get any ideas...

And, I'd probably get shot for this, but the Command and Conquer series might make good movies...

Except for Red Alert 3 and C&C 4, those 2 games are pure GARBAGE.

Oh, and don't you dare say I broke your continuum thing again...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Honestly, none of them... Every time Hollywood tries to do a video game it winds up being a dismal failure (if not an epic failure). Wing Commander, Doom, etc. Hitman was OK, but only OK, and Agent 47 talked too much I thought. Final Fantasy (Ghosts in the machine?) really doesn't count, it might be a video game franchise but the movie and game series had no connection (the animation was good though).
I think Michael Bay could screw up a perfectly good wet dream, the only thing I could be sure of is that I would need hearing protection if I were to watch anything he puts together.
Video games derived from movies can be pretty bad too.

It's a rare event when Hollywood/movie industry can out-do my own imagination. TLOTR trilogy did it's namesake books some justice. Some movies can be quite entertaining, don't get me wrong, but ticket prices no mean that it'd better be worth it to stand in line, shell out $$$ for a ticket, popcorn, coke etc...

Didn't mean to ramble, I'm sure most of you know what I mean though.

HAIL :probe:!