Project VesselBuilder for Orbiter

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I finally got the capsule to sit upright. :woohoo:

What I did was set the height above ground to -1. Then it rolled upright. Then I set new TDPs to set the correct height. Then saved the scenario.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I finally got the capsule to sit upright. :woohoo:

What I did was set the height above ground to -1. Then it rolled upright. Then I set new TDPs to set the correct height. Then saved the scenario.

have you tried with scenario editor anyway? If you choose "location" and you set some parameters it should get immediately landed upright

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll try that. Thanks

crisbeta

Reaction score
Now jet aircrafts can't get to orbit. Thank you for events :thumbup:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Something new I'm working on using VB :)

479c061192053194.png

So far VB is working perfectly and development is fun and fast, as it should be.

This will be a multiconfig vessel, because the propulsion module gets jettisoned before reentry.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Having an issue, with translation graphics. If I end a scenario with the, let's say landing legs deployed. When I restart the current scenario, the translation animations are screwed up. Like it ads different numbers to them. I check the cfg , and sure enough the translation numbers were changed.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Further investigation, seems to point to the fact that the translations are children of rotating animations. Because translation animations that are not children of rotating animations do not change.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here is a shot. All it takes is, opening and closing the VB editor.

Attachments

• translation error.jpg
    translation error.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 36

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Something new I'm working on using VB :)

479c061192053194.png

So far VB is working perfectly and development is fun and fast, as it should be.

This will be a multiconfig vessel, because the propulsion module gets jettisoned before reentry.

I am really glad it's working. I am also pretty sure that reconfigs and events have still some bugs here and there, I'm trying to fix all I find.

Here is a shot. All it takes is, opening and closing the VB editor.

Thank you, this is interesting. I think it goes down to how orbiter core handles animatin. I'm studying the matter. Can I please have the animation section of the cfg?

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

the cfg doesn't matter: I know the cause.

as I thought it is a matter of how orbiter handles parent animation: animation parameters get phisically changed at each frame. for some parameters VB queries directly orbiter core to get them live, but in this case it gets the transformed parameters instead of the originals. I did already encountered and solved this for simple rotations, but apparently it needs to be solved for all type of animations, since they can have a rotation as a parent.

I will try not to take too much time to do it, but I need to be careful since animation section is really delicate to touch

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
well maybe it was easier than I thought... could you please check if now it is working?

NOTE: you'll see a VesselBuilder MFD in the MFD list. do not use it yet, I just started to create it so it's almost empty and it will easily crash the sim.

Attachments

• VesselBuilder1.zip
    304.7 KB · Views: 50

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The animations, seem to be fixed, but I see no VesselBuilder MFD. :shrug:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How would you get the Dragon2 capsule to try to fly heatshield first, in the atmosphere, without the trunk attached ?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
How would you get the Dragon2 capsule to try to fly heatshield first, in the atmosphere, without the trunk attached ?

this is about setting the proper airfoils parameters. I am not a big expert there, especially when it comes to capsule (it's the only default setting not yet included in VB). I think that the good part is that it should be possible to do it once and it should work also if the capsule has the trunk attached, but it will need some testing. Anyway it's all there, and I saw some topics about that in the forum. Remember that when you see posts about coding, it's just a translation of what VB reads and applies, so the principles and the values are exactly the same.

for example I found this, but there should be plenty:
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10182&highlight=capsule+airfoil

Also, brianj has the values for his own dragon, he has shared the sources so those values are available to check. I am also pretty sure that if you ask him to explain them he will without issues.

if the airfoil with the trunk gives issues then a reconfiguration for the airfoil section must be applied when the trunk is detached.

crisbeta

Reaction score
I tested with Swift airplane (Greg Burch) and I used "jettisonable" docking for external tanks (I used RefuelMDF for propellant transfer). Also I used attachment for pilot. Works excellent. :thumbup:

Is there any section to save some comments in the config file without overwriting?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I tested with Swift airplane (Greg Burch) and I used "jettisonable" docking for external tanks (I used RefuelMDF for propellant transfer). Also I used attachment for pilot. Works excellent. :thumbup:

That's wonderful news!

Is there any section to save some comments in the config file without overwriting?
ah I never thought about this. I can add a general comments field somewhere to be saved and restored so it gets ported when the cfg is overwritten. It can be useful, thanks :thumbup:

Felix24

Reaction score
I can press Spacebar and get the editor dialog to appear, but when I press Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar, I get a system error that says "The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140D.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

2 questions:

What runtime do I need to download to solve this issue? And is there an archive I can download that contains all of the latest VesselBuilder files, in case I'm trying to run an outdated version?

Thanks!

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What runtime do I need to download to solve this issue?

I tried to recompile the CamTarget.dll (which is the FollowMe tool) in mode MT instead of MD. I read online that it should solve the runtime issue you mention that sometimes happens.

I attach here the file, you should replace the CamTarget.dll located in Orbiter\modules folder with the file contained in the zip attached.
Let me know if it is enough to solve the issue.

And is there an archive I can download that contains all of the latest VesselBuilder files, in case I'm trying to run an outdated version?
Thanks!

I am preparing a small update package with all the latest files, it will come online this afternoon. It will be interesting if the dll attached works for you because I could then decide to switch to that mode to avoid any further issue.

Attachments

• CamTarget.zip
    38.9 KB · Views: 28

crisbeta

Reaction score
Do you intend to keep the requirement of animations for control surfaces as mandatory?

Some old addons don't have this animations defined and some don't have mesh groups.

Felix24

Reaction score
I attach here the file, you should replace the CamTarget.dll located in Orbiter\modules folder with the file contained in the zip attached. Let me know if it is enough to solve the issue.
This solved the issue. Thanks!