UniversalCargoDeck & Atlantis

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
Im trying to load two different things in the default Atlantis, a Destiny module (by No Matter), and a PMA (by Well).
I put them in separates bays in the UCD, and adjust placement so they fit nicely.
Now the problem is, when Atlantis gets to orbit, it behaves like the payload weights a lot. Rotating is very difficult.

Is there any way to avoid UCD passing the mass of payloads to the core vessel?

On a side note, I noticed that when using Universal Remote Manipulator System with Atlantis, at the moment of SRB jettison and Main Tank, the Center of Gravity changes and so does the Arm, but this can be worked around placing the arm after reaching orbit.

Thanks in advance!

kulch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Im trying to load two different things in the default Atlantis, a Destiny module (by No Matter), and a PMA (by Well).
I put them in separates bays in the UCD, and adjust placement so they fit nicely.
Now the problem is, when Atlantis gets to orbit, it behaves like the payload weights a lot. Rotating is very difficult.
May be something wrong with calculating of summary PMI of Atlantis and payloads... I will check it.

On a side note, I noticed that when using Universal Remote Manipulator System with Atlantis, at the moment of SRB jettison and Main Tank, the Center of Gravity changes and so does the Arm, but this can be worked around placing the arm after reaching orbit.
Yes, I wrote about this problem in manual. Sadly I can't resolve it. It is principal incompatibility with vessels which changes place of COG itself.

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
Thanks for taking a look at this ;)

Also the URMS thing is not that important, because it can't be done better, and it is not seen until srbs and tank have been jettisoned.

Your addons are great Kulch, ! many thanks.

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
Well I know very little about coding, but URMS being able to be attached to anything and grab anything looked like a very hard work (to me). It also has many features and such...
But if you say you can make it better, I guess you are right (and I'm happy :speakcool:)

kulch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
...looked like a very hard work (to me)...
huh... to me - to ;)
but - very interesting!
But if you say you can make it better, I guess you are right (and I'm happy :speakcool:)
just two new options:
- inverse kinematic control mode
- automatic 'grab closest object' option
(but tssss.... it's a secret :blink:)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
This may sound stupid but what is inverse kinematics ?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
it basically means that you move the 'end effector' (your hand is the end effector of your arm for example) and the rest of the mechanism automatically moves to put the end effector where you want it. It's the opposite of forward kinematics where you'd move the components of the arm to put the end effector where you want it.

Inverse can be more intuative and faster since its more like how the body works, if you want to pick something up you just move your hand, you don't think 'rotate upper arm 30 degrees on shoulder x axis, 20 on y axis, rotate wrist 10 degrees, etc' until your hand meets the target.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sounds great Kulch !!

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
@ Coolhand
Thanks For explaining :)

Dr Pepper

Soft Drink
Reaction score
May be something wrong with calculating of summary PMI of Atlantis and payloads... I will check it.

Just to let you know, this seems to happen with any vessel. I recently attached a bunch of crap to the Shuttle A, and it was nearly impossible to fly due to the "slow rotating" thing.

P.S. I am looking foreward to an I.K. URMS. You've made some amazingly useful stuff (Cargo Deck and URMS). Keep up the good work! :cheers:

kulch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just to let you know, this seems to happen with any vessel. I recently attached a bunch of crap to the Shuttle A, and it was nearly impossible to fly due to the "slow rotating" thing.
The bug is found now. I will release new version of PM and UCD soon.

kulch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, new versions of PM and UCD relesed now.

UCD is now based on Payload Manager 2.2.3.0 and compatible with vessels which can shift it's COG and change it's dry mass (like Atlantis or any CVEL-based vessels).
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3262"]Universal Cargo Deck, release 4[/ame]

In PM was fixed bug with incorrect PMI calculation.
http://www.kulch.spb.ru/Eng/PM_ver_history.txt