OHM Tiny Earth

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Author: theeyes

A very tiny Earth. The clouds float about 1000ft off the surface.Very cool lighting effect too.

Made out of Orbiter 2009 SRC 2.2.

DOWNLOAD

Trekker1986

I Jam Ships Into Cargo Boxes
Reaction score
I've got a problem with Tiny Earth: I can't get ships off the ground!

Tommy

Reaction score
Well, I haven't tried this add-on, so I'm guessing. I couldn't help but notice that this is your first post - so I'm completely unsure of your skill level.

I'm assuming you can get ships off the ground with the normal Earth.

There are a couple possibilities - if this add-on changes the size of Earth but not the Mass. Both have to do with the way gravity is subject to the inverse square law.

The gravity at the surface would be higher than with the normal Earth - so getting off the ground would require more lift/hover force.

The second possibility is that the atmosphere at ground level would be at a much higher pressure - reducing thrust. A work-around for this would be to disable "complex flight model" in the lauchpad - this will allow the engines to produce full thrust regardless of the atmospheric pressure.

Trekker1986

Reaction score
Another thing that bugs me: How do I get rid of Tiny Earth? It's bothering me.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I've never tried this add-on, but since this download only contains a "cfg" file, it's a matter of replacing some lines with a plain text editor.
Alternatively you can reinstall Orbiter from scratch, or start using JSGME.

I'm trying to compare this earth.cfg file with mine (with Notepad++), and there are quite a few differences...
Orbiter2010 contains many atmosphere enhancements, it could also be an incompatibility issue.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wish people would stop releasing worthless addons.:facepalm:

I've got a problem with Tiny Earth: I can't get ships off the ground!

Of course you can't get off the ground. If I did the numbers right from the mass and radius given in the cfg file, the gravitational acceleration is 9700 m/s^2 = 1000G's.

@OH staff:
It says on OH website that the first five addons have to be approved by the staff... do you only screen for non-Orbiter related, or do simple scenarios drop out as well?

@Trekker1986:
Here's a fresh Orbiter 2010 Earth.cfg file. Replace the contents of your Earth.cfg with this:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=XKPdHh3X

Last edited:

Trekker1986

Reaction score
Gave it a try...

I gave it a try...Here's hoping it works.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't eat much more of that mushroom... and of course, drinking from the bottle can be dangerous. Audio cue: Grace Slick singing...

EDIT: re - useless add-ons. A) Caveat emptor. B) Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. C) It is better to let some underrated add-ons in than to become a Wikidictatorship like Cookiepaedia...

Last edited:

Trekker1986

Reaction score
Is that an "Alice in Wonderland" joke? If so, :rofl:! I've restored Earth to normal size, and I've got some Trek ships to work.

Chemi

Interplanetary Traveler
Reaction score
Could it possible to add some picture? I'm hestitate to download it or not... :salute:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really do wish that the orbiter-forum staff would screen for useless addons like these.

I am very sorry but I have to jump in here.

I am sorry you feel this way but am sure that the "staff" would be glad of your help! It is good of them to at least screen for virus's and the like, its not their task to vet the quality of add-ons. I am lucky enough to be able to say over 170 liked or where interested enough to download my add-on but compared to some of the other great add-ons 99% of folk thought it was a waste of time and never bothered to download it. At least I was given the chance.

Thank you to the staff,

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
its not their task to vet the quality of add-ons. I am lucky enough to be able to say over 170 liked or where interested enough to download my add-on but compared to some of the other great add-ons 99% of folk thought it was a waste of time and never bothered to download it. At least I was given the chance.

I'd have to agree. I don't think it is us to vet the 'quality' of the addon. There are several addons I've looked at and instantly disliked but which have proven to be popular for others.

Even this thread shows a mixed reaction to this addon. If people truly don't like an addon they should add constructive criticism as to why and not use that addon.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I am interested in the idea, but it sounds like an unfinished product, plus no tantilizing screen shot, and no indication of how tiny exactly the Earth is. Also sounds difficult to uninstall

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Also sounds difficult to uninstall

One reason I keep two copies of Orbiter 2010 running. The first I use to try out an addon to see what it might conflict with and the second is my main copy.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Or, just make sure to back up your copy of Earth BEFORE making changes to it. I've still got the backups for the last primary release of the XR family, in case the beta goes weird...

Hartmann

Reaction score
I dindn´t try this addon but looking at the file there is a simple way to "grow" the earth to his normal size

change the ; from

;Size = 63781.65e6 ; equatorial radius
Size = 0.00637101e6 ; mean radius

To this or delete the line

Size = 63781.65e6 ; equatorial radius
;Size = 0.00637101e6 ; mean radius

what is the purpose of this addon ?? :rolleyes:

Keatah

Reaction score
I don't know. But it sounds interesting. I was going to make PocketPlanets. A complete solar system within the diameter of the Earth.