Launch News Tiangong-1, Long March 2F, September 29, 2011

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Well done China!

For the first time since 2001, there are now two space stations on-orbit.

And for the first time since 1989, there is once again a communist space station on-orbit.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Ok now China. Give your space program MORE money! That is not a snark. Your space program is showing results so give it funds to do things faster!

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Ok now China. Give your space program MORE money! That is not a snark. Your space program is showing results so give it funds to do things faster!

Throwing money at a complex problem doesn't speed it up. In fact, throwing money at it to speed it up may severely hurt reliability and long-term success. China simply lacks the expertise and knowledge in many areas and needs time to gain it, it's only rational to progress slowly and safely. You can't launch a rocket by paying ten million chinamen to jump.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
why do i think that is a very bad thing?

The USA has no say if the Chinese want to launch a station... The Americans and Russians can launch space stations!

(Almaz, Salyut, Skylab)

Why not the Chinese?

The U.S launch a fair number of these often:
Sigint_Satellite.jpg

Those are "very bad things" for Chinese National Security.

And yet you say a mere docking target for the Shenzou Spacecraft is now a "threat" to U.S. secuirity...

Typical "we can have all this but you have none" attitude... :dry:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Who says "bad" is a synonym for "threatens US national security"? Did anyone say anything about US national security? Maybe it is just a politically incorrect complaint about communism. ;)

Personally I'm happy for the Chinese that this launch was successful. They certainly seem to be getting more done in space these days than some other certain space agencies...

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Who says "bad" is a synonym for "threatens US national security"? Did anyone say anything about US national security?

From the ChatBox logs this morning, communist talks about the possibility that Tiangong is a PLA Nuclear Weapons platform, and that it is a "threat" to U.S. security.

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2011 at 02:39 ---------- Previous post was 30th Sep 2011 at 21:13 ----------

Inside Tiangong 1:
tiangong-1-china-space-lab-crew-art.jpg

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of considering that the station is.

#1 In a known Orbit.

#2 In quite a poor position to deliver nukes considering its Orbit.

#3 There is no hiding the radiation from nukes in space.

Instead of trying to make this a conspiracy theory lets praise china for helping to kick our asses into gear.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Space Daily: Tiangong 1 Parked And Waiting As Shenzhou 10 Mission Prep Continues:
Following the July-August period when controllers used Tiangong 1's thrusters for strict control of the orbit decay rate, things went quiet and Tiangong 1 settled down to a regime of orbit decay dictated by solar activity. As the solar wind increased and heated up the Earth's atmosphere, decay increased and it then slowed down again as the solar wind reduced.

Early October, small inconsistencies in orbit data coming from SpaceTrack indicated that thruster firings were occurring but this time the effects were consistent with attitude control changes. Thrusters were being used to change Tiangong's orientation but the firings were also making subtle changes to the orbit.

After Shenzhou 9, Tiangong was 'parked' in a 42 degrees .8 inclined, 355 x 366 kilometre orbit. By October 15 it was down to 346 x 353 kilometres. A major two-impulse thuster firing on that day raised it to 367 x 374 kilometres. It was only two kilometres below the highest orbit it had ever achieved back in 2011 November following the post Shenzhou 8 boost.

For a few days thrusters were again used to control the decay but on October 20, it was left to its own devices.

{...}

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
Tiangong 1 And ISS From Earth

Philip-Smith-ISS-and-Tiangong-1-Ac-Philip-Smith-2015_1439936935_lg.jpg

Large JPG image
Taken by Philip Smith on August 17, 2015 @ Manorville, NY, USA

Details:
I recorded on 8-17-15 Tiangong 1 with the 2 solar panels in view at 78° ....AND... ISS at 59° from my backyard. So I made this combo image to show you my images in true relation to each other. I used Edge HD 14 OTA with a SKYnyx 2.2 Mono CCD camera that has global shutter. The Barlow X 1.6 with an Astrodon orang filter. All on an custom modified EQ-G and ER tracking software made for me and my mount.

Date Taken: 2015:08:18 15:47:22

http://spaceweathergallery.com/indi...d=116509&PHPSESSID=nd80c7q2aq0o16iib6o9cb7982

Philip-Smith-Tiangong-1--Max-Pass-78Ad--4-47am-EST-Ac-Philip-Smith-8-17-15-short-and-cropped_1439942324_lg.gif

GIF image
Taken by Philip Smith on August 17, 2015 @ Manorville, NY, USA

Details:
I imaged on 8-17-15 Tiangong 1 with the 2 solar panels in view at 78° from my backyard. I made this combo image to show you my image and a internet image of what Tiangong 1 looks like. I used my Edge HD 14 OTA with a SKYnyx 2.2 Mono CCD camera that has global shutter. The Barlow X 1.6 with an Astrodon orang filter. All on an custom modified EQ-G and ER tracking software made for me and my mount.

http://spaceweathergallery.com/indi...d=116513&PHPSESSID=nd80c7q2aq0o16iib6o9cb7982