Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

Pablo49

Reaction score
On a side note: It's neat watching some little indie game pick up steam like this first hand, from day one, especially one made by an orbinaut. Most of us caught onto minecraft and the like while they were already on the rise. It's been a fun ride for the short time it's been. And make sure you keep it up. :thumbup:

redneck

Reaction score
On a side note: It's neat watching some little indie game pick up steam like this first hand, from day one, especially one made by an orbinaut. Most of us caught onto minecraft and the like while they were already on the rise. It's been a fun ride for the short time it's been. And make sure you keep it up. :thumbup:
What a great little program..The potential this game has is incredible. Will be fun watching it evolve. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun ride. Just the Kerbals alone was enough to make my daughter happy. She is 16 and NOT interested in space at all. But when I showed her the program and the characters she replied in a girly high pitch tone "OMG they are so cute!" "But why is this JEB guy always smiling?" I instantly started laughing. Didn't want to tell her the real reason I was laughing ;) Needless to say I wasn't able to get on my computer for 3 hours :lol: Finally I was able to get back on my computer and play. She had more ship configurations then I had. :lol: And Ill admit one of em was so good I used it to establish my first stable orbit around Kearth. Damm I feel so old now :cheers:

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
And here I was wondering who these people were and where they got the idea of hailing probe from. ;) (edit: I should say, on your own forums - I saw one of your fellow admins haliing Probe is all *grin*)

Very cool game. I'm already registered on y'all's forums, and have submitted something that I hope helps you track the slowdowns when using huge stacks of engines. Looking forward to getting zooming, and seeing what else y'all do. :thumbup:

redneck

Reaction score

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been playing with this today and it's a lot of fun! Thanks! :thumbup:

I do have a minor feature request. Could we get stackable SRB segments? For example, the Shuttle SRBs are actually 4 segments of motor stacked on top of a nozzle (simply viewed). So perhaps create a segment/nozzle item and then segment items that can only be placed on top of a segment/nozzle item. This would eliminate the need to stage each SRB on top of each other separately.

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
Had one launch abort, several on-pad explosions, a crash, two suborbital flights and now I think I achieved escape velocity...

escapevelocity.png

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
It is still fun, to try out new rockets, to optimize the LV's to see, on how less stages you get to orbit. And now, with these easy moddable addon parts, it's even more fun. :)

But I experienced a bug on an addon, but I don't know if there's something wrong with the addon, or if it's in the game's core:
I used this launch escape tower found here. It's quite useful. One safety feature that was missing still the beginning, but it happens that on stage separation the chute at the top deploys even if it's positioned at the last stage.

Some other thing felt into my mind:
Harvester, you said that you want to implement some tech tree including R&D right? Does this also includes to research for UI features like speed indicators, altimeter, the nav ball, and later even more (e.g. some orbit MFD)? This would be interesting.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
To use the Launch Escape System you have to fiddle a bit with the staging sequence. The last decoupler keeping the capsule attached to the stack and the escape motor can be the same "stage", but the chute has to come after that, on the last stage.

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
To use the Launch Escape System you have to fiddle a bit with the staging sequence. The last decoupler keeping the capsule attached to the stack and the escape motor can be the same "stage", but the chute has to come after that, on the last stage.
That's exaclty what I did. The chute was on the last stage, but it was released together with stage 4 or 5, triggering a firey disaster. :p

redneck

Reaction score
It is still fun, to try out new rockets, to optimize the LV's to see, on how less stages you get to orbit. And now, with these easy moddable addon parts, it's even more fun. :)

But I experienced a bug on an addon, but I don't know if there's something wrong with the addon, or if it's in the game's core:
I used this launch escape tower found here. It's quite useful. One safety feature that was missing still the beginning, but it happens that on stage separation the chute at the top deploys even if it's positioned at the last stage.

Some other thing felt into my mind:
Harvester, you said that you want to implement some tech tree including R&D right? Does this also includes to research for UI features like speed indicators, altimeter, the nav ball, and later even more (e.g. some orbit MFD)? This would be interesting.
I made you a video notice my sequence on left side and also what happens if you deploy the parachute before and after apogee

Pablo49

Reaction score
The chute bug is a bug and not just user error (sorry Fabri and redneck :p) I've had rockets work perfectly, relaunch without going to the VAB and then have the chute go off three stages early. Doesn't happen all the time though. I've also had this issue with the retro rockets that come in that pack, too.

redneck

Reaction score
The chute bug is a bug and not just user error (sorry Fabri and redneck :p) I've had rockets work perfectly, relaunch without going to the VAB and then have the chute go off three stages early. Doesn't happen all the time though. I've also had this issue with the retro rockets that come in that pack, too.

v1.06 of wobbly rockets is out. Some issues were fixed with collision detection. Maybe it will help maybe not
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=79.msg260#msg260

HarvesteR

Reaction score
I've made a number of changes to the parachute code. It does work better now, and it's able to deploy automatically when it gets jettisoned away, allowing a safe return of spent boosters and other parts.

This is all in update 0.8.5, which is available now as an Experimental Release (which is like a beta version for a game still in alpha ;) )

It's still not perfect. By adding a new possibility I seem to have removed another... I gotta revise the stage triggering code it seems.

But, it seems most of the bugs are fixed now (including the ever-growing lag with stacked fuel tanks).

Cheers

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Good news everyone! The download count has reached (and passed) the 100,000 mark!

Thank you all for downloading and telling people about it. I reckon that, since OF was the first place to know about the game, the massive repercussion could only have originated from here :thumbup:

Thank you all so much! :tiphat::cheers:

Cheers

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It's quite amazing now that you mention it. One can find threads about this on the DCS forums, on the Live for Speed forums and also on NasaSpaceflight's! :)

Sky Captain

Reaction score
just tried it out. It's a great game howewer there seem to be a problem that when I cluster together some srbs they always overheat and explode seconds after liftoff.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
just tried it out. It's a great game howewer there seem to be a problem that when I cluster together some srbs they always overheat and explode seconds after liftoff.

You're hitting too much dynamic pressure, try attaching an upper stage to gain velocity more gradually.

Unstung

Reaction score
I love the new loading screen. :p
Now let's try to land some boosters.