Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

Nistenf

Reaction score
nice to see new versions! The simmetry thing is amazing.
Also, I'm sure the thread over at bay12 forums is giving lots of visitors

Turbinator

Reaction score
It's not a problem. I just like running my router firewall in paranoid mode because I like to control all of my outgoing connections. It just surprised me that KSP did a phonehome. I hate it when my computer does something on-line without my authorisation. You wouldn't believe the amount of programs that try to phone back home without you ever knowing. A quick network traffic dump lets you see just what they are up to. KSP is harmless. It's no Google that's for sure.

.​

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Hi again!

I've uploaded a quick hotfix update (0.8.2) to fix some bugs that slipped past us.

Also, yea, the server's having a very tough time right now... in the last 3 days the download count went from 5000 to over 20,000.

On hindsight, I think we should have sprung for the Amazon Cloud Server...

But this server's pretty new, give it some time to get used to things ;)

Cheers

KSP appears to be pretty popular on Somethingawful and Bay12 forums. Whether that's a good thing, decide for yourself. :lol:

Rickenbacker

Reaction score
I have to say that this is an amazing game, even in its very rudimentary alpha form. It's like Orbiter with added fun, and of course Jebediah the Cool Cucumber. Hey, he built those engines, he shouldn't be smiling like that when sitting on top of them! :)

One thought about additional connectors: How about just using a tri-coupler with tree connections on both top and bottom? That way you can put a few of those between the tank stacks, making them more rigid. Seems simpler, and more in keeping with the games Lego-like feel than drawing individual struts here and there...

Can't wait to see where this goes. So many ideas popping up in my head - I just wish I'd thought of this first! :)

Rickenbacker

Reaction score
...oh yeah, one more thought. Could we have the option of moving the "nav ball" display around, or maybe just put it in one corner? It keeps getting in my way as I try to spot my rocket parts exploding below me :). Otherwise it's an excellent instrument, lets me hand-fly most of the orbital insertion. Now we just need some Orbiter style MFD screens to visualize the orbit, and Jebediah's your uncle!

Unstung

Reaction score
I reached 450 km and 1860 m/s on 4 stages using the symmetry; it's really useful. :thumbup:
Great progress on the game!

HarvesteR

Reaction score
I've put up version 0.8.4 now, it should be much more stable than 0.8.2 (don't ask about 0.8.3 :p )

Cheers

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You mean the game was unstable to begin with? Or are you just talking about the rockets? :lol:
It's all in the dev blog here: http://kerbalspace.tumblr.com/post/7598710457/version-0-8-4-released

Great to see that resetting stage bug zapped. It's especially useful to keep the Wobbly-Rockets-LES-setting-parachute-to-stage-2 bug in check between launches. Bill, Bob and Jeb salute you. :salute:

P.S. Thanks for hosting a mirror at Mediafire. Their servers are very tolerant with unreliable 'net connections. :thankyou:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Dear god! according to our download tracker, we are just nearing now on 50,000 downloads!

Just this morning we had topped 30k... that means there are at the very least 20,000 active players right now!
I'm just sitting here, refreshing the report page every 3 seconds or so, and each time there is a new download.

Huzzah! :cheers::banana::hotcool::woohoo::jiggy::sweet: :thankyou:

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What he said. It's a great little distraction at the moment, hopefully once the more complicated budgetary and management components are in it'll become even MORE addictive.

I swear, I've never had so much fun failing miserably to get to orbit.

Rickenbacker

Reaction score
Dear god! according to our download tracker, we are just nearing now on 50,000 downloads!

Just this morning we had topped 30k... that means there are at the very least 20,000 active players right now!
I'm just sitting here, refreshing the report page every 3 seconds or so, and each time there is a new download.

Huzzah! :cheers::banana::hotcool::woohoo::jiggy::sweet: :thankyou:

Excellent, and well deserved! I think the fact that you were featured on Rock, Paper, Shotgun probably contributed a lot of downloads. I'd like to think I helped a bit too, as I'm a games journo and put this in my twitter feed, but I don't have QUITE such bad delusions of grandeur :).

So, when can we expect a story mode, and do you need a writer? :)

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- The previous post was at 11:31 ----------

Just had a flight that was a little odd... I build a rocket with three stages of five SRBs each - one in the middle and four symmetrically attached to it. The first two stages worked fine (even though they wobbled a lot), but the third stage overheated almost immediately! Why did it do that, when the first two burned just fine, in identical configurations?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Very cool.

I used to have fun making rockets in Phun/Algodoo, and you pretty much made a special program for exactly this type of fun.
On my shopping list.

Before:
phun_orb.jpg

Now:
ksp_o.jpg

Rickenbacker

Reaction score
Just had a flight that was a little odd... I build a rocket with three stages of five SRBs each - one in the middle and four symmetrically attached to it. The first two stages worked fine (even though they wobbled a lot), but the third stage overheated almost immediately! Why did it do that, when the first two burned just fine, in identical configurations?

Oh wait, I think I know the answer to my own question. The heat from the first two stages was dissipated into the surrounding atmosphere, but the third stage flew in a vacuum, and without radiators - boom! Am I right?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Some bugs in random order (didn't read the whole thread, sorry for possible repeats):
1. Landing on the other side of the planet makes the capsule go boom. You go into orbit, deorbit around the other side, drop stages, open parachute, touchdown at 12 m/s... Boom! No SAS below, nothing suspicious.
2. The ship is lit on the night side (Orbiter 2003 flashback...)
3. From about 150km up the planet is all stripes, then it's fine again.
4. Peacefully coasting in a stable orbit 500 km above the planet... Why are the astronauts in panic? :)
5. Something is a bit odd with rotations - SAS off, i give it a little barbecue spin (symmetric rocket in a screenshot above), but it starts to wander off. However, it does not experience any expected precession. Odd.
6. Switching to other window and using mousewheel sends it into KSP. So, you switch to forum, scroll down, and back in KSP the camera is far off. No other controls seems to be affected.

All in all, well made and fun.

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
1. Landing on the other side of the planet makes the capsule go boom. You go into orbit, deorbit around the other side, drop stages, open parachute, touchdown at 12 m/s... Boom! No SAS below, nothing suspicious.

This one was reported a few pages ago :tiphat: But I think the rest is all unreported stuff.