Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
HarvesteR, you should hang out with us here more often. :(

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Hmm, it's been a while since I last checked... Let's have another count.

Keep in mind though, that line of code count is an almost meaningless metric for a software project... It's like counting brush strokes for a painter. Also mind that this number includes code from 3rd party libraries included in the project as well.

In any case, using the same metric as last time, I got 217,908 lines of code.

Last time we checked we were around 70k or so, so it's fair to say the project has grown quite a lot recently.

Cheers

...and here I am feeling like a million bucks when my Skype bot is only 200 lines. :cheers:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Malfunctioning camera on Duna:

picture.php

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
HarvesteR, you should hang out with us here more often.

Yes, but not too much, he has to work on the v0.21 ! :lol:

j/k :cheers:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I know not everyone who plays KSP watches Scott Manley's videos.
You're going to want to watch this one, if you have a Steam copy.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Some say 0.21 is near and so I had to visit Jool before I've never accomplished it in my old save file. Additionally I was trying to get away from MechJeb since my skills became quite dependent on it, so: Manual controlled probe with backstory.
And yes, I do realize Jool is Jupiter and Cassini orbits Saturn, no need for pointing it out.:lol:

After the recent failure of the space agency to construct a Laythe spaceplane the kerbal government was inclined to make huge budget cuts, to stop putting money into failed missions as they said it. Kerbals on the K-Net immediatley started a support campaign by creating t-shirts with great accomplishments of the space program like putting Jeb on Duna!
But the government was unimpressed by some hippies so Kerbal engineers had to come up with a huge prestige mission real quick, to keep their job and the awesome space program. Since the Laythe spaceplane launches failed just a few days ago there was a good launch window from Kerbin to Jool so a new engineer, fresh from Kerbal City University, asked: "Why don't we build a small probe orbiting Jool and doing flybys of its moons?"

After a bit on the drawing boards they quickly began building the craft - named Kersinni - as a small ion powered probe. Quickly the engineers realized it would be impossible to use RTGs, due to the risk of contamination and problems in the R&D department due to earlier budget cuts after some Dres failures. Also the light weight of the probe and budget restrictions prevented the use of the latest autopilot technology, the mission seemed on the edge of failure.
But our Kerbal engineers were the smartest of the planet and fearing their future they were hard-working, too. After a couple of days the design was finished and already built!
The result? A 700 kilogram, solar powered, ion engine probe.
screenshot3333bb6b7epng.png

The launch vehicle was quickly assembled and so Kersinni was ready to launch. Due to the rushed manner of this mission during night, sadly.
screenshot238951b274png.png

After a successful launch and escape burn Kersinni was doing some correction maneuvers on the edge of Kerbin's SOI.
screenshot2456cd628fpng.png

Kerbin government agreed to keep the funding up for one fiscal year, enough time to accomplish the mission, but made future funding dependent on mission success.
But Jool came in sight more than 100 days before budget decisions.
screenshot269a76ced0png.png

Also in sight came Jool's moons with some observation of Laythe on the way to the first perijool...
screenshot2780e383fapng.png

Which was decided to be an aerobrake maneuver so Kersinni would save as much fuel as possible enabling a longer lifespan.
screenshot28c9d9efdepng.png

The first picture taken after a successful aerobrake maneuver? Joolian sunrise with Vall!
screenshot29209cdae4png.png

Also pictured: The three most important observation targets: Jool, Laythe and Vall.
screenshot30e6495be4png.png

Final orbit was then achieved, an equatorial orbit with perijools and apojools enabling Kersinni to fly past every Joovian moon.
screenshot3184fd52bfpng.png

After successful orbit tweaking Kerbal engineers realized how much fuel they had left since the cruise stage was still half full, promising a lot of delta-v for many flybys over the mission and thus a long lifespan. Kerbal engineers realized how great it was to use solar panels since they wouldn't limit the lifespan like RTGs.
Everything was set for a successful mission and all discussions about funding stopped, why again did we launch this mission? Because the government loves science!
11,000 m/s of delta-v (ion engines are awesome):
screenshot32787ad7a2png.png

Also notable: The plan was to leave no space debris behind, especially not near Laythe and Vall, which worked for the first stage (burned up in the Kerbin atmosphere). The side tanks of the cruise stage were set to reenter Jool while Kersinni did its aerobrake, which worked for one tank but not for the other which ended up in a kerbolcentric orbit.
screenshot34c47b6e66png.png

Scientists now discuss the probability of this tank impacting a Joolian moon while engineers discuss how to clear this danger economically.

Who needs 0.21 anyway?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
You're going to want to watch this one, if you have a Steam copy.
Some say 0.21 is near and so I had to visit Jool before I've never accomplished it in my old save file.

{...}

Who needs 0.21 anyway?
Is there any particular reason other than add-ons and save file compatibility to keep the old versions?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason other than add-ons and save file compatibility to keep the old versions?

I'm sure the community will uncover some random new bugs in 0.21 :p
But I don't think any other reason is foreseen.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I'm sure the community will uncover some random new bugs in 0.21 :p
But I don't think any other reason is foreseen.

Didn't Squad take on more QA people recently? The yield of bugs in .21 is probably going to be smaller this time 'round.

MattBaker

Reaction score

Well, I think the main reason for people is that they want to keep their old save file since they've created a lot of stuff in hours of work and don't want to lose it.

Although Harv mentioned a space station saver:
Also wrote a system to attempt upgrading saves, which is currently being tested. No word yet on whether or not it’ll even be usable, and even then, it’s not going to be able to adapt every save, but we might be able to salvage a station or two.

---------- Post added 07-22-13 at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-21-13 at 01:25 PM ----------

Still accepting bets if the forum will merge this two posts or I'll double post...

Anyway, I'm for a new olympic sport: Orbital darts
We see a demonstration by Jeb and Bill:
screenshot4823e6476fpng.png

...which would look awesome if you'd had to land as close to an Olympic Stadium in a huge city as possible.
Although three nations is boring, everyone will win a medal.:facepalm:

So, I'll probably just see this with my Kerbalnauts (they call it 'Darts for real men, not drunk gingers').
Oh yeah, Bill won, he's the one in the sea. But he has gone second so he had an advantage.

H41l probe for one post. :hailprobe:

ApolloFZ

Reaction score
Hello KSP friends,I've got a problem with KSP Spaceport site. When I click on every link, it goes down with 505 internal server error ( obviously I can't download anything). It may be a mine cache problem?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Here it works, but earlier with the forum I was having Server Errors. IIRC both the forum and Spaceport are hosted together, so it might have been the same problem.

ApolloFZ

Reaction score
Wow, another italian on the orbiter forum! :) Well, I tried to delete the cache and it works! Probably it was a problem of mine PC!

MattBaker

Reaction score
I think next week since they never wanted to release on a weekend again and from what I read about bugfixing there's still some work, so doubtful if it's possible until tomorrow.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And of course, I'm taking off for 1 week of holidays next Tuesday :cry: