General Question Supported versions

Luis J

Reaction score
I usually use the Orbiter-2016 version, because it's the most modern and because I love the XR-2 Ravenstar and XR-5 Vanguard ships, but it's a pity that I do not work the splendid Arrow-Freighter or the precious Martian base of Orcus -Patera, as well as a large number of other works designed for Óbiter-2010. I find it strange that nobody has made adaptations for all this. I would love to adapt it if I knew how to do it. It would be great if someone did a tutorial explaining which are the important files, where they are saved and how they are modified, so I could adapt them myself, and I could even customize them to my liking.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I find it strange that nobody has made adaptations for all this.

It is nothing strange, it is called intellectual property. In the Orbiter community, many addons like the mentioned Arrow freighter by DanSteph are subject to a closed-source license. As such, even if the binaries, meshes or textures could be altered to fit into the new Orbiter version, you would not be allowed to do so without explicit permission of the author.

Of course many of the authors are still active and promised to patch their work, but these are just promises until they deliver, and with some we are much over a year in the waiting already.

Now this would not be a big problem in itself if it were only for self-contained addons. Unfortunately, we especially see these things in middle-ware addons as well. Platforms like SC4, Multistage, OrbiterSound and UMmu all stalled due to the closed-source culture of Orbiter in the past and in the present. For some we've got alternatives (Multistage), for some we have not.

What also complicates matters is the almost hostile attitude against one of the popular open-source licenses: GPL. IMO this severely hinders collaboration and effectively discourages developers.

However, it is what it is. Orbiter did well with it in the past and I'm pretty sure it will do well in the future. We might drop some jewels on the go, but I guess we have enough of them to afford it.

Just remember that it is free like in beer here, not like in speech. :tiphat:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Luis, there's no incentive to adaptation for 2016 when 2018 (or whatever next version) will break things again.
If you check Orbiter Hangar, you see that the number of developers and addons drops with each version.

Face has a point regarding open source, but here the "problem" starts with Orbiter itself.
If we could fix what was broken in 2016 most addons would work as in 2010.

And having the code means nothing, many addons have the code available and we don't have any updated versions (ex: Project Mercury).

So just consider each Orbiter version as separate simulator, and enjoy what works on each.
I still have Orbiter 2006 on my PC for some addons...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
but here the "problem" starts with Orbiter itself

Martin probably could make new Orbiter version with 100% backwards compatibility... but that would slow his side of the development down, add bugs and limit the amount of new features. To quote Interstellar: You gotta leave something behind... :shrug:

IMO addon development suffers from needing 2 things: 3D modeling and coding... and most can only do one of those things. And when you factor in peoples interests, tastes, expectations, real lives, etc, it only makes things worse.

Luis J

Reaction score
Thank

Thank you very much for your kindness, I have realized that I am a little naive.
It is true that developers have the right to own their work, but I do not think it bothers them if I make modifications to their designs, only for my personal use, without them leaving my computer. To tell the truth I have already done it (with a lot of effort) in some planetary base of Orbiter-2010, and now I can enjoy it in Orbiter-2016. I promise that I will not publish them.
Greetings to all Orbinautas.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It is true that developers have the right to own their work, but I do not think it bothers them if I make modifications to their designs, only for my personal use, without them leaving my computer.

If so, they would have to put an EULA onto it, forbidding you personal use in certain circumstance (such as having modified it). I think I have never seen such an addon.

I'm not sure if such an EULA would be even legal, because it would have to claim authority over usage of Orbiter infrastructure, like the way modules are loaded, meshes and textures are defined and scenarios are declared.

And besides: without bragging about it, how should they even know you did? :lol:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Luis, if you take an existing addon and adapt it to run on a new orbiter version, the original author should still be the Author.
At most you are co-author, but better list yourself as "adapter" or "uploader".
Words are important, just don't claim anything you didn't do.

Most people are not bothered by reuse, but there are some cases where they do (and for good reason):
- military addons (adding a bomb cargo or military repaint...)
- politics (some things come from history, but others are clearly divisive)
- adult themes

A good practice is to post on the forum before doing anything, and usually the original author will get back to you. He may even help you.
Sharing files on the forum is different than doing an "official" Orbiter Hangar release.
So the forum is really the right place for your updates ;)

If you act in good faith, you will not get into any trouble.