Stupidity in overdrive!

Screamer7

Reaction score
The power of these planes is just amazing. And the sound unreal. I get goose pimples watching that awesome power. And that engines preform beautifully. Most people would think how the engines can take such a beating.

Did you check this one?

Last edited:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think that flying is the best experience too - you get a chance to be up where the atmosphere is thin, and where you can see everything below you! Takeoff is the most exciting part.

Especially if you take off just as the sun rises or sets - a few years ago I was on a flight from the UK to Turkey, and there was a thick layer of cloud covering the entire sunset sky. We climbed quickly towards the cloud, and after a few seconds of being immersed inside it, we punched out through the top of the layer and spent a few seconds skimming right above it as if it were a landscape - I could see the bumps and 'hills' in the clouds just a few metres below the wings going past at hundreds of miles per hour, and it looked just like a very low flypast of a hilly landscape. Venus was hanging there too, and the sky above the cloud landscape was perfectly clear.

Flying into the Maldives is an amazing experience too - the airport is nothing more than a runway in the middle of the sea, and you are skimming just above the water until the instant you touch down. Then you fly in a seaplane across the atolls of islands.

The most thrilling thing that I think I've done is to land a small Cessna 152 - it has nowhere near the pulling power of an airliner - it just feels like a little flying car, but even holding the controls is enough to give me a big thrill XD

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Call me stupid, but I could be talked into skydiving or jumping into that waterfall. I'm not even a true adrenaline junky, but the thrill is worth taking risks once in a while.

I have a pilot's license, and flying is great fun but I don't want to commit to the time required to be an instructor or a professional and it's too expensive to do just for the hell of it so I haven't done it in a long time. And flying on a jetliner is no longer any fun, with all the security BS and the sardine-packing seats.

So I jump off rocks into water or climb to great heights and crawl on the edges of cliffs for a thrill instead.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Eh - doesn't look very dangerous to me. The current where they are standing does not look very strong, and they appear to have a fairly sturdy ledge between them and the far cliff edge. So as long as a flash flood doesn't come through and wash them over the ledge, then I think they'll be fine.

Screamer7

Reaction score
Eh - doesn't look very dangerous to me. The current where they are standing does not look very strong, and they appear to have a fairly sturdy ledge between them and the far cliff edge. So as long as a flash flood doesn't come through and wash them over the ledge, then I think they'll be fine.

And that is one of the problems.
You never underestimate nature.
The one minute all seems quit and peacefully, just to be the opposite the next moment.

Mantis

Reaction score
The devil's pool has claimed 17 lives since 1959.
Bungee jumping had 62 deaths just in the span 1987-2000.
Skydiving in the United States alone suffers about 30 deaths a year.
If you want to do something extreme... the devil's pool is a better bet than others.

That doesn't tell the whole tale....

The numbers are completely meaningless without knowing how many people engaged in each of the activities concerned. For example, you are correct than an average of 30 people die each year sky diving in the United States, however, that is 30 out of an estimated 3,000,000 annual jumps. In other words, 1 out of every 100,000 sky dives results in a fatality. I have no idea how many people swim the Devil's pool every year but I have no doubt that it's far fewer than 3,000,000. In order to make a proper comparison, you'd need to know how many people swam that pool over that period of time.

Let's say 10,000 people per year swin the devil's pool. 10,000 * 53 years (since 1959) = 530,000/17 fatalities = 1 fatality every 31,176 swims. In other words, the fatality rate (based on 10,000 swimmers per year) for the Devil's pool is 4x that of sky-diving.

FADEC

Reaction score
There are obviously even children/entire families who take a bath...

zm_owen_devils_pool.jpg

devil%27s-pool1.jpg

I think this is not more dangerous than standing behind a fence or wall at some sights which are often not higher than shoulder. At least not as long as you stay in the water and don't slip or climb onto the barrier.

I might do it as well, but only alone and not climbing out of the water. Too many people in it would make me feel unsafe.

The power of these planes is just amazing. And the sound unreal. I get goose pimples watching that awesome power. And that engines preform beautifully. Most people would think how the engines can take such a beating.

Did you check this one?

You'll certainly also love this one (watch the wings and engines):

That's also a nice sound although it's "only" a 738:

Flying into the Maldives is an amazing experience too - the airport is nothing more than a runway in the middle of the sea, and you are skimming just above the water until the instant you touch down. Then you fly in a seaplane across the atolls of islands.

I think that the Maldives is one of the most beautiful places on this planet. Also from a pilots point of view...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I don't think that swimming in the Devil's pool is stupid per-se, though I have enough of a fear of heights that I wouldn't swim there.