Stupidity in overdrive!

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Not sure if really brave... or just plain retarded.

...well, it's probably the second one.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
The devil's pool has claimed 17 lives since 1959.
Bungee jumping had 62 deaths just in the span 1987-2000.
Skydiving in the United States alone suffers about 30 deaths a year.
If you want to do something extreme... the devil's pool is a better bet than others.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's for sure a nice jacuzzi.

Fisherman

Reaction score
The devil's pool has claimed 17 lives since 1959.
Bungee jumping had 62 deaths just in the span 1987-2000.
Skydiving in the United States alone suffers about 30 deaths a year.
If you want to do something extreme... the devil's pool is a better bet than others.

That may be but there are a lot more people sky diving than getting into that pool so the danger ratio is kind of skewed.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I thought so too. But if you look at the number of people that jump into the devil's pool per year, especially since 2004 and compare it with other "extreme" activities, swimming "with the devil" is safer than boarding an airplane.

Fisherman

Reaction score
I thought so too. But if you look at the number of people that jump into the devil's pool per year, especially since 2004 and compare it with other "extreme" activities, swimming "with the devil" is safer than boarding an airplane.

Not really. I'm a pilot. Just the small spam cans. Flying in a small plane has a danger ratio somewhere between driving on the highway and riding a motorcycle. I can safely say that I've never ever been killed while flying. LOL

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Neat. Not something I'd do, but plenty of people love thrills, and this is pretty damn thrilling.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
there are a lot more people...
Bad analogy, in my previous post.

The ratio of the people that try to swim in the devil's pool and eventually die (per year) , is comparable with the ratio of the people that try skyjumping - and die. (per year).

I used the 2004 date 'cause that's when the first videos were posted on YT.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
My hands were sweating the whole time...it must be envigorating to do something like that, but watching the video is enough for me.

Last edited:

Fisherman

Reaction score
Bad analogy, in my previous post.

The ratio of the people that try to swim in the devil's pool and eventually die (per year) , is comparable with the ratio of the people that try skyjumping - and die. (per year).

I used the 2004 date 'cause that's when the first videos were posted on YT.

I quit sky diving after my third jump. That was in the '80's. The thrill wasn't there as much as the getting sick to my stomach. A lot of stupid things happened right around that time to comfirm my decision. A photographer jumped with a group and had forgotten to put on his chute. A professional, he took great photos all the way to the ground. There was another bounce around that time too.

Screamer7

Reaction score
That kinda happen.
I once forget my hard hat before going underground.
Luckily there was plenty at hand.

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, if I want to do something thrilling, I just travel in the air at about 34,000 feet and at 500+ mph.

Looking out the window of a jetliner is far more thrilling to me than hurling myself from the plane, standing next to a precipice, or jumping off a bridge to just bounce up and down on a rope.

After all, flying is the 2nd greatest feeling in the world. The 1st being good landing.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I'd rather be at 100Km+ and traveling at Hypersonic speeds horizontally and with a downward acceleration of 9.8m/s^-2.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After all, flying is the 2nd greatest feeling in the world. The 1st being good landing.
Subjective, apparently. I've met maybe two people who agree, not including myself. The rest would place copulating, driving in a fast car and/or being affected by cannabis far ahead of flying. The first I quite understand but don't quite agree with, the second utterly confuses me (what's so much better about going being able to go 150-200km/h only on a well-maintained heavily restricted two-dimensional area than easily 400+ km/h in three dimensions without nearly as much friction or jolting?? Not to mention the view. The view!!) and the third is just so far below my intelligence and self-respect I can't even comment on it. :rant:

FADEC

Reaction score
To me it seems not more stupid than to jump off a bridge with a "rubber band" connected to your feet. Or to jump off a tower with a parachute on our back with only one short chance to pull the release cord. Or, even worse, to jump off a perfectly serviceable airplane without any rational reason :lol:

All this is done because of the same reasons: adrenaline. It can work. It also can go wrong. And it's crazy, i.e. not a normal thing to do in any cases.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Does not apply to me though.

The most terrible feeling in the world is landing. Because it marks the end of a great show, and also the end of a nice holiday.

The greatest feeling in the world is a take off with a heavy airliner. Especially to feel the power of an airplane in your back when you advance the throttles or thrust levers by yourself (never had the chance to advance thrust levers but only throttles though).

The second greatest feeling is a take off watched from a nice window view position. Even if you only watch a video of it...