Updates STS-133 Updates

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Although it was a range problem I'm sure Discovery did this all to scare us a little bit. Just her way to say goodbye

It would be ironic if we had a scrub because the computer that's supposed to kill the crew didn't work. :blink:

Urgentemente

Reaction score
This has to be one of the most dramatic countdowns ever seen. For anyone interested there was at least one time when they just missed the launch window: STS-88. nasaspaceflight.com have a good audio track of the events: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/_docs/STS-88.19981203.Attempt.edit.avi well worth a listen. 2 seconds more and STS-133 would have gone the same way.

Just a bit !
To say I was holding my breath is putting it mildly (along with a fair few thousand other people around the world I'd guess judging by the viewing figures on the ustream feed.
I'd been watching the coverage for about 2 hours before launch , first we had the tile getting torn slightly when they removed the teflon strips from the hatch <gulp>...
then the dreaded "No go" from Range :(

I can't imagine how it must have felt , even just after the final hold started when they had 20 mins or so, never mind when it came down to literally the last few seconds. I love hearing all the radio comms, good to hear someone in charge (sorry, name escapes me right now) saying something to the effect of "let's just calm down, work the problem" just after Range reported the NoGo.

When it was at something like 20 seconds to go before the end of the window they were saying to put the switch to "Go" , sounded like even tho they had cleared/worked around the problem , the switch needed to be set to get greens across the board . Talk about suspense, I was sitting in front of the monitor saying "come on, come on" out loud , LOL. Good thing my g/f likes Shuttle launches as well, might have looked a bit odd otherwise, heh.

Has there been any news about the tile(s) that were seen on the tank camera, coming off during the ascent. They looked like the struck the bottom of the orbiter, but I missed the post launch briefing (will look for it tonight).
EDIT: Sorry, just flicked back a page and saw Tycho's post saying that they said it shouldn't be a problem.

Is the HD Ustream feed a new addition to the NASA site, I've never noticed it before, and it was great to watch in HQ, no UK coverage unfortunately (I wish Virgin Media would get the NASA feed somehow, seeing as NASA offer it to satellite)

Last edited:

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It would be cool to take the audio portion from the "Discovery's Last Ride" video and match it up with an Orbiter launch view of the MFD's. Specifically, the Orbit MFD. So ... for example, when ground control says, "2 minutes 25 seconds into the flight. Discovery traveling 3,189 miles an hour. (1425.61 meters/s) Its altitude 37 miles. (59.54km) Downrange from the Kennedy Space Center 53 miles. (85.29km)" All of that would match the Orbiter MFD's.

I would attempt it myself but I don't have the necessary video capture software.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
A great time-lapse video of FD-2 OBSS inspections! Looks like a clean TPS! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwM-bJlWEt0"]YouTube - sts 133 Space Shuttle Discovery FLight Day 2 OBSS Timelapse[/ame]

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Discovery on final, final approach to ISS.

Attachments

• final_final_approach.jpg
    final_final_approach.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 39

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
A clean TPS is a good TPS.

Docking tomorrow is at 2:19 pm EST.

Tycho

Reaction score
Discovery is currently about 1200 feet from the station and are currently go for the 360 RPM (Rotational Pitch Maneuver).

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

RPM Back-flip maneuver has commenced.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

RPM now complete with 8 minutes and 33 seconds of time, as the shuttle is about 500 feet away from the ISS. The shuttle will now fly in front of the station and align with the PMA. Docking is scheduled for 18:16 UTC.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
- "Discovery, you're go for docking."
- 'Roger, go for docking."

:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

20 minutes from docking.

Tycho

Reaction score
Approximately 90 feet from the station, the shuttle is approaching at about 0.15 feet per second. Although the docking is slightly behind schedule, the crew may elect to bypass a five minute holding point 30 feet away from the ISS, leading to an on-time docking at 18:16 UTC.

diogom

Reaction score
If only they could get a continuous stream of video of the docking, just like with the Soyuz.

Last edited:

Tycho

Reaction score
Discovery now initiating the final approach phase at 23 feet.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

15 feet

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Capture confirmed.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sunrise, perfect docking :thumbup: