STS 125

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
--MISSION UPDATE--

EVA-3 has been successfully completed. Astronauts replaced the COSTAR instrument with COS. COSTAR was then returned to it's protective enclosure for return to Earth after 16 years in space. Astronauts then successfully repaired the ACS instrument. The FCP worked perfectly. Astronauts actually finished ahead of schedule, and went on the repair the second part of the instrument, originally scheduled for another EVA. ACS is now fully repaired. ACS has been out of power since Jan 2007, but initial aliveness tests show both ACS and COS to be working correctly.

Tomorrow, astronauts Massimino and Good will start EVA-4, scheduled to begin @ 12.16pm GMT/UTC. The first task for EVA-4 is to repair the STIS instrument, which involves a similar procedure as the ACS repair. Astronauts will use a FCP again, except there are 111 screws to capture for STIS, instead of the 32 for ACS. The STIS FCP is pictured below:
jsc2008e097094.jpg

Hi-res: http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-125/hires/jsc2008e097094.jpg

Task 2 for EVA-4 is to install a NOBL (New Outer Blanket Layer - basically a solid sheet of insulation) on Bay 8 of the HST.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 23:56 ----------

EVA-4 is now complete. Spacewalkers encountered extreme difficulty in removing a bolt from a handrail that needed to be removed in order to gain access to a panel on STIS. 3 of the 4 bolts were removed successfully, but the final bolt was stuck. After trying many different methods to remove it for over an hour, ground teams came up with a plan to remove it. The plan called for Massimino to pull the handrail off using his hands - and brute strength! The plan worked, and the astronauts went on the successfully repair STIS. As the issue with the handrail took so much time to resolve, the NOBL installation was cancelled from this EVA. Ground teams are looking at possibly adding it to EVA-5 tomorrow. SITS had a good aliveness test, however, during further testing, the instrument "safed itself". Ground teams believe the instrument is still OK, and further testing is ongoing. STIS has been in safe mode since Aug 2004.

The total EVA time was 8h 2m. It was the 6th longest EVA in history. Massimino & Good are now 2 of the 10 longest spacewalkers in US history. It was the 22nd EVA to service the HST, and the 81st EVA from the Space Shuttle.

Tomorrow is EVA-5, the final EVA of STS-125, and the last ever EVA to service the Hubble Space Telescope. It will be the final time humans will ever touch Hubble.

EVA-5 is scheduled to begin @ 12.16pm GMT/UTC, and will be by astronauts Grunsfeld & Feustel, and the tasks for EVA-5 are:
. Removal & replacement of the 3 Bay 3 batteries
. Removal & replacement of FGS-2 (Fine Guidance Sensor)
. Installation of a NOBL on Bay 5
* The Bay 8 NOBL installation originally scheduled for EVA-4 may also now be conducted during EVA-5.

Atlantis is also slated to reboost Hubble tomorrow using it's thrusters.

Here is a cool pic of Atlantis's flight deck:
s125e007768.jpg

More can be found here:
http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-125/ndxpage1.html

Last edited:

ElPelado

Reaction score
WOW, just WOW
They have just finished all the tasks in the last ever EVA to the Hubble.... And they completed all the tasks they planned to do during the mission.
What a success... Unbelievable!
Good job guys!
Have a nice trip home...

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Hubble release is scheduled for 7.52 central time today, which I think equates to 11.52 GMT (12.52 BST). Though I may be an hour out due to daylight savings time.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
7:52 am CDT = 8:52 am EDT = 1252 UTC = 13:52 BST

jungzimm

Reaction score
What about the re-boost. I didn't see anything about it on NASA. Did it happen and what's the new orbit? The amount of re-boost was supposed to be dependent on Atlantis' available fuel according to the press kit.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What about the re-boost. I didn't see anything about it on NASA. Did it happen and what's the new orbit? The amount of re-boost was supposed to be dependent on Atlantis' available fuel according to the press kit.
No reboost required. So the orbit is unaltered.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
No reboost required. So the orbit is unaltered.
I still think this is a strange request. According to the PAO, they don't need a reboost as the current altitude will keep them going until at least 2020, which is later than they expect the instruments to work until. However, they'll feel damn stupid if they're all working fine by 2020 and they want to keep using Hubble*. From what I've heard from the PAO, there was no extra risk in boosting the orbit.

On the subject of which, can they use the soft capture mechanism to boost Hubble if they decide in 10 years they want to keep using it?

*And given some of NASA's track record (eg, the Mars rovers, Voyager probes) I'd expect them to keep working past their expected lifetime.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are there any more objectives for this mission ? Why are they not landing until Friday ?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Simple: instead of orbit boosting, they are about to give it a really good push with the Canadarm! :lol:

Theoreticaly that would save some fuel for the reentry! :speakcool:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are there any more objectives for this mission ? Why are they not landing until Friday ?
A mandatory day off for the crew tomorrow. Then on Thursday the the standard L-1 day pre-entry checkouts of the RCS and FCS and first part of cabin stowage and PGSC stow. Also on Thursday they'll stow the KU band antenna.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I'm guessing they want a "waterproof" TPS survey.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I still think this is a strange request. According to the PAO, they don't need a reboost as the current altitude will keep them going until at least 2020, which is later than they expect the instruments to work until. However, they'll feel damn stupid if they're all working fine by 2020 and they want to keep using Hubble*. From what I've heard from the PAO, there was no extra risk in boosting the orbit.

On the subject of which, can they use the soft capture mechanism to boost Hubble if they decide in 10 years they want to keep using it?

*And given some of NASA's track record (eg, the Mars rovers, Voyager probes) I'd expect them to keep working past their expected lifetime.
The only way HST has been working for the past 19 years is thanks to 5 very busy servicing missions. Without any of them, HST would have been un-useable a long, long time ago.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Landing has been waved-off for today due to bad weather at KSC. Trying again tomorrow.

A current view of the SLF as seen from the roof of the VAB:

Attachments

• STS125-00631.jpg
    STS125-00631.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 19

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Judging from the weather forecast for KSC tomorrow (scattered showers and/or thunderstorms, 60% chance of precip), I'm betting on a landing at Edwards.