Advanced Question Starship Weaponry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It took me about 15 to 25 seconds to complete that barrel roll. I've taken into consideration of the fact that the wing slows is roll speed down. So, I'll simply make the control surfaces take up more of the wing front to back and re-enforce the wing with support structures inside the wing. I'm not going to try to make it do 400 degrees in one second, but 200 should be good enough.
facepalm.jpeg

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

TCR_500

Making my own racing simulator.
Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
I'm talking about the starship's menuverablility in an atmosphere. I'll be satisfied if I can get at lease 120 degrees in one second, but I'd preffer to get it up to 200.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If you get it to 10°/s you can be already happy at the "payload" you plan to have.

Also, why do you want to fly in the atmosphere at all? You are an easy target there.

I think even the Black Dart does not get more than 90°/s, but should have about 440°/s² on-set. Would have to measure it to be sure. With and without TVC.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm talking about the starship's menuverablility in an atmosphere. I'll be satisfied if I can get at lease 120 degrees in one second, but I'd preffer to get it up to 200.
That's a ridiculous and unrealistic value for a bomber-sized craft. You'd kill anyone who wasn't on the roll axis of your craft.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
If I'm in the atmosphere at all, It'll be to either land or take off. Once I get up to speed, I'll put the nose up 45 degrees and after about 5 to 10 minutes, eject the stage one booster which is basicly another wing with a few rockets on the back. Once ejected, "hovering" engines on the booster will fire. These engines are on the top of the oversized wing and are ment to do a three second burn to seperate itself from the starship. By the way, do you want to know the name of the starship?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
By the way, do you want to know the name of the starship?

No. The name of the space craft is the least of your worries. Even the design of the bridge is completely unimportant now, as you have still not fixed the design of the ship, the bridge shall control.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Well, I'm not sure anymore. If the ship runs into trouble all I realy need to do is fire up the main engines and it'll out-fly anything (including a missile). The ship's estimated dimentions are 255 feet long, 25 feet wide, and 20 feet high. Wingspan is probably 200 feet and the virtical stabalizer is going an additional 25 feet.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure anymore. If the ship runs into trouble all I realy need to do is fire up the main engines and it'll out-fly anything (including a missile). The ship's estimated dimentions are 255 feet long, 25 feet wide, and 20 feet high. Wingspan is probably 200 feet and the virtical stabalizer is going an additional 25 feet.
That kind of defeats the purpose of missiles, if any ship can outrun them.

I thought you were trying to be at least marginally realistic? With the manueverability of a fighter and engines that can outrun missiles, you clearly aren't.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sounds to me like you need to get back to the drawing board TCR.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I'm not sure anymore. If the ship runs into trouble all I realy need to do is fire up the main engines and it'll out-fly anything (including a missile).

if you can build a spacecraft, which has such accelerations, i can build a missile, which can accelerate even faster, as the missile does not need such stupid stuff such like life support or armor...

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Then I'll build another class of starship that can out-fly that missile. This one's obviously not going to be able to menuver as quickly as I want it, but combined with the stage one booster, it'll leave the atmosphere in only seconds after take-off.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
XR5 can do a barrel roll in ~10 seconds that is 36 deg per second. 120 or more would be a bit unrealistic for craft of that size although in Orbiter you can get whatever you want - it`s just setting the numbers right.

Then I'll build another class of starship that can out-fly that missile. This one's obviously not going to be able to menuver as quickly as I want it, but combined with the stage one booster, it'll leave the atmosphere in only seconds after take-off.

Be careful, you might accidentally kill your crew with too much G as I did when I tested out how aerobatic DGIV is:p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Then I build a new missile. The missile needs less fuel mass, no life support, no crew, no large wings for landing at low speeds, no hover thrusters, no special weapon deployment systems, smaller and lighter sensors, etc...

You can NEVER build a manned spacecraft, which can not be outrun by a missile.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And your crew will leave behind this mortal coil as they are crushed with that ridiculous acceleration and the vessel is vaporized from going that fast.

As Urwumpe points out, you can never make a manned craft outrun a missile of the same tech level--All I have to do to make a faster missile than your craft is take the same engine and remove the life support and crew quarters. Whoops, I win.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Well, everyone has a seat facing the front of the space craft with rear and side head restraints kind of like what you'd find in a Sprint Cup car. The side head restraints are going to be made out of some kind of plastic so it doesn't block the view of the pilots. Also, the rear head restraints are will give slightly under high accelerative g's. The head restraints are kind of a new idea aboard the star ship though.

You have forgotten about the star ships defence system. Just send another missile to intersect it and the space craft is still in one piece. Also, my next space craft will be made for combat and will have several layers of armor to protect itself along with the plasma shield.

IthyStPete

Reaction score
I'd post the facepalm, except that it's been done twice already.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Well, everyone has a seat facing the front of the space craft with rear and side head restraints kind of like what you'd find in a Sprint Cup car. The side head restraints are going to be made out of some kind of plastic so it doesn't block the view of the pilots. Also, the rear head restraints are will give slightly under high accelerative g's. The head restraints are kind of a new idea aboard the star ship though.

You have forgotten about the star ships defence system. Just send another missile to intersect it and the space craft is still in one piece. Also, my next space craft will be made for combat and will have several layers of armor to protect itself along with the plasma shield.

A suggestion - make the first one to test out the limits of Orbiters API. You might find you hit some problems or is this something you are building in your back yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.