Project SSU HI RES Textures

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That actually looks like it has an internal cover... :uhh: It seems too close to the PLB liner to be in the fuselage wall.
That's an optical illusion. I have attached a photo of OV-102's midbody that shows both payload umbilical wells and their relation to the payload bay sills.

Attachments

• OV102_midbody.jpg
    OV102_midbody.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 12

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you guys have no objections I won't add the cavity to the textures (actually it has been already and it shows in the current Atlantis texture; I'll simply remove it from the new upcoming textures)
As far as the TPS in that area it will remain even as I cannot spot any cover in the original SSU textures (I am not sure what cover GLS is referring to..)

To avoid any misunderstanding: the cavity I am talkin about is the one in RED. I also had to remove the one in GREEN since it was partially overlapping with the cover
513.jpg

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll simply remove it from the new upcoming textures)
As far as the TPS in that area it will remain even as I cannot spot any cover in the original SSU textures (I am not sure what cover GLS is referring to..)
He's referring to the rectangular panels between the United States and the NASA meatballs. I've attached a photo of the panel in question on the left side of Atlantis.

Attachments

• OV104_payload_umbilical_well_cover.jpg
    OV104_payload_umbilical_well_cover.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 11

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
He's referring to the rectangular panels between the United States and the NASA meatballs. I've attached a photo of the panel in question on the left side of Atlantis.

I was editing my post while you were writing this. See my screenshot

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
That's an optical illusion. I have attached a photo of OV-102's midbody that shows both payload umbilical wells and their relation to the payload bay sills.
Looks like something would bolt on the inside of that box, and looking back at the image above, the cover has what appear to be removable panels in it.... 2 plates then: one for inside and another for outside?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If you guys have no objections I won't add the cavity to the textures (actually it has been already and it shows in the current Atlantis texture; I'll simply remove it from the new upcoming textures)

To avoid any misunderstanding: the cavity I am talkin about is the one in RED. I also had to remove the one in GREEN since it was partially overlapping with the cover
View attachment 16639
The things with the dark solid outlines are vent doors 8 and 9. 8 being the smaller one and 9 being the larger one. The locations of the actual vent doors/cavities were taken from a NASA Independent Orbiter Assessment Team document on the mechanisms subsystem back in March 1988.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks like something would bolt on the inside of that box, and looking back at the image above, the cover has what appear to be removable panels in it.... 2 plates then: one for inside and another for outside?
Nothing goes on the inside. It just have a TCS blanket covering it. I have attached a photo of the aft bays of Discovery with an arrow pointing to the TCS blanket covering the left umbilical well.

Attachments

• 04pd2147.jpg
    04pd2147.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 22

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Nothing goes on the inside. It just have a TCS blanket covering it. I have attached a photo of the aft bays of Discovery with an arrow pointing to the TCS blanket covering the left umbilical well.
Inside as in, pipes to the inside of the PLB. Thinking about it, it makes sense to have a plate on the outside for the RBUS, and another inside for the Centaur piping. The plates would stay there with the connectors for use when needed.
:shrug:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Inside as in, pipes to the inside of the PLB. Thinking about it, it makes sense to have a plate on the outside for the RBUS, and another inside for the Centaur piping. The plates would stay there with the connectors for use when needed.
:shrug:
The pipes were part of the Mission Kit, the Modification Kit was the actual penetrations in the skin of the orbiter. Remember, this was all based on the orbiter MPS plumbing. The CISS had QDs for mating to the orbiter side of the plumbing.

Attachments

• Centaur plumbing in the orbiter aft compartment.jpg
    Centaur plumbing in the orbiter aft compartment.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Centaur G Prime CISS.jpg
    Centaur G Prime CISS.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 10

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The pipes were part of the Mission Kit, the Modification Kit was the actual penetrations in the skin of the orbiter. Remember, this was all based on the orbiter MPS plumbing. The CISS had QDs for mating to the orbiter side of the plumbing.

This is what I think it is:
attachment.php

The connectors and plates are always there, and when needed the CISS piping connects to the right side, and the RBUS to the left.
Regardless of that, my doubt is, and this is what would be nice to know for us, whether or not the cover would be used once the mods were done.

Attachments

• umb.png
    umb.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 106

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Question about the TPS coverage on the fuselage: Columbia latest version (our 8thmod texture) had a different AFRSI layout (covering a larger portion of the fuselage and PB door roof compared to the latest Atlantis,Discovery and Endeavour). Was this AFRSI layout the same on EARLY Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavour?

Thanks

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
What is the name/author of that book? Is that available online?

Should be this: https://www.amazon.com/Space-Shuttle-Developing-Icon-1972-2013/dp/1580072496

Interesting thing,: judging by the file names (can't read the caption on the top), the "newer" OVs went from AFRSI to FRSI in the midbody, while Columbia went from FRSI to AFRSI... is the file name wrong on OV103_4_5_2000.jpg?

EDIT: I'm reading my copy (I have the previous version of the book that doesn't have all those diagrams), and it seems the FRSI was lighter than the AFRSI, so they went back to FRSI in the late 90s.

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It seems there was an intermediate configuration for OV-103-104-105 between the first (your pic dated 1985) and the last. This pic shows Discovery on STS-85: the AFRSI on the PB doors roof does not merge anymore and it seems also it only partially covers the side fuselage.
STS-85_change in TPS fuselage 02.jpg

The area around the Flight Deck overhead windows was probably also changed compared to the original layout. here is STS-76 with the early layout showung what seems AFRSI around the windows
STS-76 Nose orbit 03.jpg

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Some previews ofthe new SSU hi resolution textures. All SSU orbiter variants will be covered with the new release (2 versions for Columbia, Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavour and one for Challenger.

New photoreal rudder
2ACC2449-FCDD-4B11-BFBA-CA76E8727CF7.jpeg
3CE7D7F4-88DA-4EA7-9368-55A31B178319.jpeg

New LRSI white tiles and new star tracker module AFRSI blankets
2A27DFAE-DAAF-4348-9D5E-F977AD8A89B6.jpeg
840E6BEF-3CC9-4977-8857-A467032B6D20.jpeg

Details of the rear side fuselage and the new OMS PODS LRSI and HRSI tiles
E8C6C1FC-2114-4310-8BAE-92EC4F860C3B.jpeg
9410E21B-FAD2-43B5-8EDE-49ABF336854C.jpeg

New OV-103/4/5 1985 circa variant
F4758A04-630D-4B6A-A889-9EB20AA32624.jpeg
CA79AF0B-465C-4BDD-AC70-FAB1F632689C.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Great work on the textures! One thing though: you should remove the dots from the center of the tiles on the OMS pods. On the regular fuselage tiles these are the locations where the tile waterproofing agent would be injected, but the OMS pod tiles never had them.

I have attached a photo of Challenger's OMS pods, taken during STS-41B, showing the lack of waterproofing injection sites.

Attachments

• STS41B-137-STS41B-44-2715.jpg
    STS41B-137-STS41B-44-2715.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 14