Project SSU HI RES Textures

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks but they are too blurry for what I had in mind. Anything more detailed?
Something like this would suit my needs

View attachment 15871
Nothing else. Those are the best I have. After first few flights, public interest dropped off so it made sense to cut back on the photos.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
New issues following 2860

The Starboard wing RCC show this distortion in the wing mid section
0503.jpg

Rudder at SPBK lower insertion has still white tiles where they should be black (both sides). There is now a grey undepicted area in the most lower portion

0508.jpg

the belly centerline has a gap that splits the texture in two

0509.jpg

The Body Flap has this problem

0515.jpg

The Starboard OUTER ELEVON edge show this

0512.jpg

And the HRSI edges are slightly offset

0511.jpg

The rudder and belly centerline issues are showing only with the Columbia textures, please disregard them. I'll cross check with Atlantis, Endeavour and Discovery a see how to fix it.

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
OMS PODs for Columbia and Challenger: it was a bit challenging since there are no hi res pictures available. I used the official schematics from JSC-1117 Vol.1 - TPS Chapter. The drawing should be correct and realistic pending a mesh fix.

These are the some shots: all the details will probably have to smoothened a bit (I used this high contrast and NM level in order to better check the drawings).
Let me know if you notice any gross mistake compared to the real OMS PODs

0528.jpg

0521.jpg

0523.jpg

0530.jpg

In the third screenshot you can notice the scorched HRSI tiles on the lower section partially overlap the POD. This issue has been around since a while: Resizing the HRSI tiles do not fix the problem

First screenshot shows now the actual POD inner side texture configuration

Attachments

• 0520.jpg
    0520.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
May I ask what is the reason why the vertical stabilizer mesh had to be changed?
It hasn't changed in shape for a long time. It is just that the mapping was always off (yours is really based on the default Atlantis which isn't too accurate) and ours is actually based on actual schematics and photos which throws off the texture as it was made fit an inaccurate mesh. The schematics in the shuttle recordation package were made by taking actual laser scans of Discovery as she was being decommissioned: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20120017909.pdf

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It would be better to remove the sections that are misplaced and move them to the correct position of the texture. This would not distort them.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No. I'm talking about removing the faces of the tail that don't line up, and repositioning them on the texture. Not changing the mesh at all.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The x,y,z of the vertices should not move to fit a texture. It should be up to the texture and the u,v coordinates to make things look good.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, I only have one question: can you guys suggest a plan that I can possibly follow in order to avoid changing the textures every week?
Will you eventually release a final mesh for SSU so that any future texture change will not become obsolete in a matter of days?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, I only have one question: can you guys suggest a plan that I can possibly follow in order to avoid changing the textures every week?
Will you eventually release a final mesh for SSU so that any future texture change will not become obsolete in a matter of days?
I'm pretty much done with with the orbiter. I have no plans of changing it for the foreseeable future.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

As I'm working I'm compiling a list of complains/doubts/whatever that I'd like to see addressed, because of performance and/or looks. After that is done, from my end, (final) mapping can begin! (a decision has to be made on what textures will be used, yada yada yada...)

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Latest on the OMS PODs WIP
added more details and testing the scorched effects n HRSI tiles for Columbia and Challenger pods

2393.jpg

2401.jpg

I think adding NM also to the scorching is quite realistic. In fact from the real orbiters pictures the tiles show some erosion and their surface is not even anymore

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Wolf, I hope you don't mind but I made an addition to your OMS pod texture(s) which is a texture of the downward firing vernier jet on the ARCS "stinger": https://www.dropbox.com/s/u73zgjkg8kpao7t/New_Orbiter_ARCS_vernier.jpg?dl=0

The updated textures can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhc0ez799upwhkl/PORT_OMSpod.dds?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbdr1k1eecfnya9/STBD_OMSpod.dds?dl=0

This change will be part of the new Orbiter once the texture issue has been resolved.

No problem. I'll have to add it to the latest OMS POD textures since the ones you sent on dropbox are outdated

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
While working on the orbiter, I noticed that the alignment of the aft compartment access doors (50-1 and 50-2) aren't aligned properly with each other. I have included a screenshot from AC3D with both sides lined up exactly with a vertical box that shows the issue. As you can see, on the starboard side the box barely touches the top corner of the 50-2 door while the on the port side it covers slightly indicating that the alignment is off.

Another thing I have noticed is that the AFRSI blanket pattern on the OMS pods isn't correct. I'd use the default SSU OMS pod texture as a guide as I spent several hours putting it together and making sure the pattern was correct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h75dr8axz6ej8ah/Aft_compartment_501_door_misalignment.jpg?dl=0

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Found another issue with the hi-res textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhgbr38rp0vezxf/ET_attach_not_aligned.jpg?dl=0

As you can see, the "salad bowl" of the -Y ET umbilical well isn't properly aligned with where it should be. Could you also remove the black areas from the payload bay doors? They're not needed for SSU as we use separate textures for the OMS pods which has the black tiled carrier panels.

Here's two photos of the ET umbilical wells in a flight configuration (photos of the OV-102 ET umbilical wells taken on the SLF runway as part of the initial post-landing runway inspections of the orbiter):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ecsqfluc9qqzx5/LH2_ET_umbilical.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5ndif1215urkrf/LOX_ET_umbilical.jpg?dl=0

Last edited: