Launch News SpaceX Falcon Heavy Demo Mission (1330-1630 EST 6th Feb. 2018)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Exactly. Something is wrong, the universe is out of balance.

We should launch a Dodge Monaco labelled "Space Police" into the same orbit with slightly different true anomaly to fix it at the next opportunity.

"It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas."

Go for "Space Patrol", its been done before...

N.:)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Exactly. Something is wrong, the universe is out of balance.

We should launch a Dodge Monaco labelled "Space Police" into the same orbit with slightly different true anomaly to fix it at the next opportunity.

"It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas."

Fix the lighter.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I was thinking:
how can it be possible, in a super technological area (space launches) where everything is maniacally pre-calculated, to have such a surplus in dV that instead of intercepting Mars' orbit, you go for the asteroid's belt instead?

HORIZONS latest ephemeris (the Tesla is target body -143205, negative sign required there) shows the Tesla's aphelion at about 1.66AU, so somewhat short of the asteroid belt and not actually that much beyond mars (1.524 AU). It was probably only a couple hundred extra m/s of delta-V.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know if this was already posted, but this is the most amazing thing! I'm sure it's still not EXACTLY the same as being there, but I was actually shocked, completely shocked at how much different this is than any recording I've ever heard. You have to wear some decent headphones. I swear you can hear the rocket land through the ground long before the sonic booms hit... :idk:

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
.And maybe, before the end of the year, Space X launch the crew capsule, Crew Dragon, Dragon V2, although it is not red or convertible, hehe, I could not wait to make a flight

dragonv2orbit.jpg

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Here's a time lapse of the Tesla in deep space along with my calculation of its approximate orbit.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Mind. Blown. I didn't realize until now that it was David Bowie playing Tesla in The Prestige.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyone remember that episode of Star Trek TNG where they found an old Ford truck floating around in space and, after bringing it aboard the hangar deck, LaForge managed to start the engine up?

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
close, it was Star trek voyager. Season 2 episode 1 "The 37'S"

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In contrast to the modern electric Tesla - whose accumulators should be depleted after centuries - an old fossil fueled car might even work. I guess gasoline might vaporize and escape, but diesel fuel could still be intact.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In contrast to the modern electric Tesla - whose accumulators should be depleted after centuries - an old fossil fueled car might even work. I guess gasoline might vaporize and escape, but diesel fuel could still be intact.

Just don't mention that liquid lubricants don't work in space and that starting the engine without disassembling, cleaning and rebuilding it first would end in mechanically welding the piston into the engine block...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just don't mention that liquid lubricants don't work in space and that starting the engine without disassembling, cleaning and rebuilding it first would end in mechanically welding the piston into the engine block...

True that. At least it will run for a few seconds, then. :lol:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

Tell that to the voyager crew!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's a basement topic! Don't you start that argument here! :lol:

Thats even an argument? Come on, this isn't like Star Wars having a prequel....

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Thats even an argument? Come on, this isn't like Star Wars having a prequel....

Seriously OT, which is unforgivable for me, but I enjoy all Trek except ENT - never could get into that series.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Seriously OT, which is unforgivable for me, but I enjoy all Trek except ENT - never could get into that series.
DS9 is the one i never could get into.
ENT is actually rather good, it got a certain DIY charm to it.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Star Trek is weird... everybody loves the first two series, then everybody disagrees about which one broke the franchise.

I thought DS9 was very decent, if you phase out the whole wraith-plot even quite good, with a few brilliant episodes here and there.

I found enterprise to be a lot better than I'd expected after all the criticism it received. Not great, but mostly watchable. It had an uncomfortable feeling of constantly being ready to jump the shark, and sometimes even taking the leap, but somehow it always found back to its core and to being decent again.

It's Voyager that I consider the absolute low of the franchise. Bland characters, way too many plots that only revolve around nonsensical technobabble, and the frankly blatant (and apparently successful) attempt to save the show with boobs.

And now there's discovery, and I'm not yet quite sure what to make of it... The whole spore drive thing is ridiculously contrieved for no good reason, I'm not sure why another Klingon redesign was neccessary, and getting them stuck in the evil parallel universe was just about the bloody most stupid thing they could have done. I'm kinda enjoying it for now as a generic scifi show, but I'm not getting any star trek vibes at all from it.