Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.2 with CRS-9, July 18, 2016

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
'Grats SpaceX, and pictures needed Kyle! There's not many people in the world that get to say they saw a rocket takeoff and (controlled) landing inside 20 mins!

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Check out this footage a friend shot from just outside the gate at the Cape last night:

Keatah

Reaction score
Now that 5 boosters have been recovered. Can they be used again? And at what cost for refurb?

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Now that 5 boosters have been recovered. Can they be used again? And at what cost for refurb?

SpaceX has announced that they intend to re-fly the booster used for CRS-8 later this autumn but have yet to release any details beyond that.

Edit: Link...

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Here's my shot! I pretty badly overexposed it (this was the first time I've seen a night launch since STS-128, so I forgot how bright they actually are), but you can see the landing burn on the right side. Next time I'll try 5 second exposures with a much higher f-stop.

6otvnah.jpg

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Here's my shot! I pretty badly overexposed it (this was the first time I've seen a night launch since STS-128, so I forgot how bright they actually are), but you can see the landing burn on the right side. Next time I'll try 5 second exposures with a much higher f-stop.

6otvnah.jpg

gHe8swn.png

New wallpaper! :)
Awesome shot!

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score

6otvnah.jpg

Jealous, man! That's an awesome shot!

What was the sonic boom like on the return? Lots of 911 calls from non-rocket scientists. (I mean Jeez ... it's only one of Elon's trucks parking in the parking lot.)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Jealous, man! That's an awesome shot!

What was the sonic boom like on the return? Lots of 911 calls from non-rocket scientists. (I mean Jeez ... it's only one of Elon's trucks parking in the parking lot.)

Loud! I was pretty startled by it even though I was expecting it. Definitely a different sound than shuttle, made a "boom-bah-boom" sound (STS was "boom-boom").

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Capture and berthing live on NASA TV now:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
[ame="https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/769199887300689921"]SpaceX on Twitter: "Good splashdown of Dragon confirmed, carrying thousands of pounds of @NASA science and research cargo back from the @Space_Station."[/ame]
[ame="https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/769202858382069763"]SpaceX on Twitter: "Recovery teams en route to Dragon, pic taken from about 10 miles out https://t.co/B4ofhGZptD"[/ame]