SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1002/02ccdev/

NASA is signing Space Act Agreements with the following companies under the Commercial Crew Development contest:
  • Sierra Nevada Corp. of Louisville, Colo., will receive $20 million.
  • Boeing Co. of Houston will receive $18 million.
  • United Launch Alliance of Centennial, Colo., will receive $6.7 million.
  • Blue Origin of Kent, Wash., will receive $3.7 million.
  • Paragon Space Development Corp. of Tucson, Ariz., will receive $1.4 million
Each company is providing matching funding from other sources.

Sierra Nevada's $20 million award will go toward development of the Dream Chaser lifting body space plane. The Dream Chaser, designed to launch vertically and land on a runway, is based on NASA's HL-20 lifting body concept by the Langley Research Center

http://www.spacedev.com/spacedev_advanced_systems.php

DC_advanced.jpg

A primary current focus of the Advanced Systems group is an overall space transportation system based on the NASA HL-20 lifting body spaceplane. Christened the Dream ChaserTM, it is being designed to carry passengers and cargo in the sub-orbital and orbital flights regimes, including flights to and from the International Space Station. Leveraging the work performed on the NASA HL-20, the Dream ChaserTM will provide a safe and affordable solution for commercial space operations, will launch vertically and land horizontally on conventional runways.

SpaceDev is currently working in conjunction with NASA Commercial Orbital Transporation Services (COTS) office to develop and configure the system for ISS servicing. In parallel, SpaceDev has signed a memorandum of understanding with United Launch Alliance (ULA) and is evaluating man-rating the Atlas 5 launch vehicle and configuring it for use with Dream ChaserTM to provide a launch configuration based on the exceptional heritage of the Atlas family of launch vehicles.

92715744atlas_DC.jpg

SpaceDev believes its SpaceDev Dream Chaser™ Space Plane system could be a viable Shuttle replacement for human space transport. By substituting a cargo pod in place of the manned vehicle, the same system could economically and safely deliver tons of cargo to the ISS or other LEO destinations. SpaceDev was a finalist in the COTS competition but was not selected to receive one of the two funded contracts.

a895e1ba1b92.jpg

Just to return favor for "Konkordski" and such, I hereby propose a fitting moniker: "Spiralson" :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just to return favor for "Konkordski" and such, I hereby propose a fitting moniker: "Spiralson" :rofl:

The USA are not that Scandinavian. :lol: Its "Spiral junior" there.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Quite a vehicle there.
Unlike Pegasus, the wings seem too excessive for reentry. Just doesn't feel right....

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I have one thing to say about Dream Chaser:

:censored: AWESOME!!!

After thinking things over, I have changed my mind about Obama's decision.
I now 100% support developing commercial space capability!

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have one thing to say about Dream Chaser:

:censored: AWESOME!!!

After thinking things over, I have changed my mind about Obama's decision.
I now 100% support developing commercial space capability!

...assuming it ever sees the light of day. :)

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Quite a vehicle there.
Unlike Pegasus, the wings seem too excessive for reentry. Just doesn't feel right....

Probably for greater control and lower airspeeds at low altitudes. The flight realm where lifting bodies have the most stability problems.
Remember the passengers will be paying customers not paid test pilots and astronauts.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
My understanding was that they wanted gov't astronauts to be the first customers:

As in not company employees. The initial users/beneficiaries of the CCI products will be the same government astronauts, but the intent of the program is to nurture a private sector space industry. The first customers of that will be the rich and other "early adoptors", as well as the fledgling space industrial workers. For the former's and the later's employer's insurance carriers are going to want greater degrees of safety than are acceptable for experimental government programs.

But since those drawings are just that, for all we know it will be an exact replica of the X lifting bodies. But anyone designing and building new launch hardware needs to consider that was acceptable to NASA and the government may not be for commercial manned launch.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If this space plane is really close to its old prototype, the wings should have variable V angle, folding up at reentry and unfolding for landing.

SOmething about hinged wings makes me nervous.

Besides, there's no reason you can't haved fixed wings. The space shuttle has them, and it works fine. Just gives you a higher L/D, so you have more cross range.

Ark

Reaction score
Its a surface to LEO taxi...

You have to get to LEO before you can go anywhere, and it's in everyone's best interest to make doing so as cheap and routine as possible.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. The highest returns will be in moving people up the gravity well.

My comment was a reply to "Siberian Tigers".

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Nothing wrong with that. The highest returns will be in moving people up the gravity well.

Ah, lowering the delivery to orbit cost, the Holy Grail of spaceflight. :) But thus far, it only works to some extent for lightweight payloads. People would need many heavy things up there, to live and work effectively. The Shuttle was intended to deliver such things on demand and at low cost (provided the launch rate is high), that's why it was called a 'Space Truck'.

A reusable space taxi alone can only be a part of concept of expanding human presence in space. It needs a destination to go. I'm afraid that the ISS can't be viewed upon as a destination forever. Other destination habitable objects in LEO are required, in order for a taxi like this one to be justified and make a commercial sense.

The lack of purpose and clear concept in the long run is something that makes me doubful about future of this COTS affair.

My comment was a reply to "Siberian Tigers".

Ah, and BTW, I'm a single person here. :tiphat:

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the ISS can't be viewed upon as a destination forever. Other destination habitable objects in LEO are required, in order for a taxi like this one to be justified and make a commercial sense.

Not really. Its more cost and space/volumn efficent to have everything at one facility. Otherwise you have to duplicate all of the lifesupport and commo overhead on each. Until the uses of orbital plaforms start to conflict with each other (Tourists wanting pristine views of Earth and the heavens vs. orbital manufacturing and ship yards, space telescopes needing perfectly stable platforms vs. people wanting artifical gravity, etc.) I doubt you will find a need for multiple stations except of course for irrational nationalistic pride.

Ah, and BTW, I'm a single person here.

:lol:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Spaceflight Now - 09/05/2012

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=+2]Dream Chaser test plan outlined by Sierra Nevada[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-2]BY STEPHEN CLARK
SPACEFLIGHT NOW

Posted: May 9, 2012[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif

Sierra Nevada Corp., one of the firms vying to build a commercial space taxi for NASA, plans a series of automated and piloted atmospheric flight tests of its lifting body Dream Chaser spacecraft beginning this summer, ultimately leading to an orbital demonstration mission in 2016, according to company managers.

atlas.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Artist's concept of the Dream Chaser spacecraft atop an Atlas 5 rocket on the launch pad. Credit: Sierra Nevada Corp.[/SIZE][/FONT]

The flight tests will initially prove the Dream Chaser's aerodynamic qualities using an engineering article being outfitted at Sierra Nevada's space campus in Louisville, Colo.

Using a combination of public and private funding, Sierra Nevada is developing the Dream Chaser to carry up to seven astronauts to the International Space Station and back to Earth. NASA has promised the company $125 million so far, with the bulk of the money already awarded to Sierra Nevada upon completion of predetermined development milestones.

"Our mission is very specific: to take crew and cargo to the International Space Station and to low Earth orbit," said Mark Sirangelo, Sierra Nevada's executive vice president and chairman of its space systems division.

Sierra Nevada has provided the Dream Chaser program with "tens of millions" of dollars in internal funding, but less than NASA's total investment, according to Sirangelo.

The remaining NASA funds will be released after the Dream Chaser's preliminary design review, scheduled for late May, and captive and free flight tests over Colorado and California.

"We've made amazing progress without a lot of money," Sirangelo said.

The Dream Chaser is based on the HL-20 lifting body concept studied by NASA's Langley Research Center from the late 1980s to the early 1990s.

Launching into orbit on top of a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket, the spaceship will dock with the International Space Station and can stay there for more than six months. At the end of its mission, the craft will enter the atmosphere and make a piloted touchdown at the Shuttle Landing Facility at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

landing.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Artist's concept of the Dream Chaser spacecraft landing on a runway. Credit: Sierra Nevada Corp.[/SIZE][/FONT]

A preparatory step leading to the first free flight could come as soon as the end of May, officials said, when an engineering test article will be lifted aloft over suburban Denver underneath a Sikorsky S-64 Sky Crane helicopter.

"You want to work backwards in the space industry and make sure you can land before you take off," Sirangelo said.

Steve Lindsey, Sierra Nevada's director of flight operations, said the captive carry test would verify the Dream Chaser's stability hanging underneath a helicopter, check its hang angle, drogue parachutes, and test the Sky Crane's lift capability.

Lindsey, a former space shuttle commander, said the test vehicle will be returned to Sierra Nevada's factory to receive flight control systems and a main landing gear modified from the U.S. Air Force's F-5E Tiger fighter jet. Dream Chaser's nose gear is a custom-designed skid.

Dream Chaser's space missions will use a new landing gear with electric actuators, Lindsey said.

Sierra Nevada will ship the engineering article to Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., this summer for another series of captive carry tests before ultimately releasing the craft for an automated landing. According to Lindsey, the drop tests will be performed from a CH-53 Sea Stallion or CH-47 Chinook helicopter provided by the U.S. military.

"The drops will be a straight in approach from as high as we can get," Lindsey said. "I'm hoping about 17,000 feet or so, straight into the main runway at Edwards for approach and landing."

Lindsey said the plan is to land the Dream Chaser on Runway 22 at Edwards, the base's primary concrete landing strip used by the space shuttle.

"Part of the reason we're doing this testing is because we have so many aerodynamic uncertainties with the vehicle," Lindsey said. "The shuttle had a nominal 20-degree glideslope. We're about a 23-degree glideslope, so a little bit steeper. We'll fly 300 knots down on final [approach], just like the shuttle did, and do a preflare at 2,000 feet, just like the shuttle did, drop the gear at 200 or 300 feet, just like the shuttle, and touch it down roughly at 190 knots on the runway, just like the shuttle did."

landing_gear.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]The Dream Chaser spacecraft will use a hydraulic F-5E landing gear for the first phase of approach and landing tests. On orbital flights, the spacecraft will use a landing gear with electric actuators, which has not yet been selected. Credit: Sierra Nevada Corp.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Sierra Nevada delivered the structure of the engineering test article in January, followed by a deployment test of the modified F-5E landing gear.
Sierra Nevada has also constructed avionics and flight control laboratories, plus a Dream Chaser flight simulator to practice landing the spacecraft on a runway.

The free flight test, expected in late summer, is the last milestone Sierra Nevada must complete under its ongoing agreement with NASA. The firm proposed continuing Dream Chaser's development through at least May 2014 in NASA's next round of funding.

Beyond the free flight test this summer, Sierra Nevada says further flights are contingent upon winning a monetary award from NASA.

NASA expects to award multiple companies between $300 million and $500 million in August. The agreements will run for approximately 21 months, followed by an optional period in which the space agency could select a single provider to continue with flight testing and crew transportation services.

Sierra Nevada says it can build three to five Dream Chaser spacecraft to be based at the Kennedy Space Center. The company is seeking state incentives and agreements with NASA to acquire former shuttle infrastructure at the space center, officials announced last week.

Lindsey hopes to fly the Dream Chaser for manual landing tests as soon as 2014. The former shuttle astronaut could also pilot the spacecraft on its first test flight to orbit.

sim.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden, a former shuttle commander, poses inside the Dream Chaser flight simulator. Credit: Sierra Nevada Corp.[/SIZE][/FONT]

"The second vehicle we build, which will be in 2014, is called our suborbital vehicle," Lindsey said. "That will have the primary flight control system in it, and it will be much closer to our orbital vehicle. All of its flights will be piloted. We'll do free flight drop tests similar to what we're doing now, except we won't be using a helicopter. We'll be flying under a wing and release or doing a tow and release [behind an airplane]."

Testing of the Dream Chaser's suborbital vehicle will include firings of the ship's hybrid rocket motors. Two of the non-toxic motors, derived from Sierra Nevada designs used on the SpaceShipOne and SpaceShipTwo space tourism vehicles, will adjust the craft's orbit in space, return it to Earth, and propel the Dream Chaser away from danger during a launch mishap.

"We're going to have our hybrid motors on the [suborbital vehicle], and we're going to use the motors to accelerate us up into the supersonic regime to get data there," Lindsey said. "The last thing we do with that vehicle, when we're done with all the pilot-in-the-loop testing, is we're actually going to put it on a simulated Atlas 5 and do a pad abort to a runway landing autonomously."

An unmanned orbital test flight and a crewed mission into orbit will follow in 2015 and 2016, according to Sierra Nevada.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Anyone heard what fuel mix they're using for the RCS? I've heard ethanol/nitrous oxide...