Question Space Station VI

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
"LOPD" ? Eek, I would NOT place this beauty in a low orbit. :)

Why not? It would be good if there's lots of traffic from earth to the station, right? Besides, building it would be harder if you had to launch all the materials higher.
Unless you're referring to viewing it against high-res earth textures. A computer isn't worth much when it's melted to a puddle...:lol:

Your right about the fact that high orbit would make traffic to other bodies of the system easier. And the fact that Station V was in a higher orbit.

:hailprobe:

Thanks for the complement!

Last edited:

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Transparent shots

Reasons why I have to remove excess details when I'm done.

Ever played Halo?

Attachments

• transparent 2.png
    transparent 2.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 33
  • transparent 3.png
    transparent 3.png
    162 KB · Views: 34

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Air drag. Something as massive and with as much inertia as this would cause unholy wastes of fuel stationkeeping (if it is even capable of maintaining an acceptable attitude with a high-velocity low orbit. And if it could, the frequent torques could have unpleasant effects on the inhabitants' sense of balance.) Something as comparatively small as the ISS has enough problems.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Air drag. Something as massive and with as much inertia as this would cause unholy wastes of fuel stationkeeping (if it is even capable of maintaining an acceptable attitude with a high-velocity low orbit. And if it could, the frequent torques could have unpleasant effects on the inhabitants' sense of balance.) Something as comparatively small as the ISS has enough problems.

Good point. Let's go for 1000 km. Also, I've been dying to see how I can reduce the polygon count. I copied the model and simplified certain parts, and it's going well. All I really have left is the hospital, and I can do that/simplify it later.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
All right. 140949 faces so far-though I believe this translates to more polygons. Now, it's actually viewable on my computer without a horrible slowness, but my system is pretty powerful, and not all Orbinauts with gaming graphics cards have something like an i7 990x- nevertheless this increases the possibility of this actually becoming something usable in orbiter.

I've also added a couple of things (not polygon heavy). First, I added antennae in various areas around the station. I also created a large fusion reactor chamber w/ a radiator. There is a shield between the reactor and the station, and it also acts as a blast shield in case of a reactor malfunction. There are six HUGE engines, with a fuel tank, designed to push the reactor as far away as possible. I do realize the problem with the blast shield- if the engines go off, then that force should give a dangerous push to the station itself, which wouldn't be very safe at all. Also, the station would be without power, I would imagine large, efficient backup batteries would be installed all throughout the station.

Also, I think the reactor should be a lot smaller, maybe half the size or more. I want to see what you guys think.

Anyway, check out the pictures. It's not quite as picturesque as the station itself, but it makes more sense if you ask me. And the reactor would be stationary like the harbor.*

*:)

Attachments

• antennae.png
    antennae.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Front.png
    Front.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Radiating.png
    Radiating.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Station IV Fusion Radiator-Reactor.png
    Station IV Fusion Radiator-Reactor.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Boosters.png
    Boosters.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 6

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
I've added one more picture, it kind of reminds me of the Icarus II (and I) from Sunshine. A great movie by the way, despite it's scientific inaccuracies and heavily criticized ending, which I happened to love. In my list its right up there with 2001. Not exactly the place to suggest it, but a Sunshine addon for Orbiter would be awesome. A bit off topic, I know.

Attachments

• icarus2diagram.png
    icarus2diagram.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 10
  • vlcsnap-2012-01-20-20h06m28s223.jpg
    vlcsnap-2012-01-20-20h06m28s223.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 13
  • full view.png
    full view.png
    29 KB · Views: 12

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Okay guys. I'm not going to be able to get this thing under 100,000 faces and still have something satisfactory. So, I suppose this will not become an addon anytime soon. Although, it was my pleasure to give you guys a taste of my modeling skills! I've made some other stuff, and I'm going to think about other, less enormous possibilities. I just hope no-one is disappointed or anything right now. In the meantime, here's one more picture. :hailprobe:

Like I've been saying, I wasn't 100 percent sure. I don't want you to think I'm one of those guys that promise huge addons and don't end up going forward with them. There was one huge, really detailed and well textured ship a while back with custom, very thick looking space suits, and an amazing trailer video, and it never materialized (I'm blanking out on the name). Stuff like that is really disappointing.
:)

Attachments

• MESH.png
    MESH.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 19

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Okay guys. I'm not going to be able to get this thing under 100,000 faces and still have something satisfactory. So, I suppose this will not become an addon anytime soon. Although, it was my pleasure to give you guys a taste of my modeling skills! I've made some other stuff, and I'm going to think about other, less enormous possibilities. I just hope no-one is disappointed or anything right now. In the meantime, here's one more picture. :hailprobe:

Like I've been saying, I wasn't 100 percent sure. I don't want you to think I'm one of those guys that promise huge addons and don't end up going forward with them. There was one huge, really detailed and well textured ship a while back with custom, very thick looking space suits, and an amazing trailer video, and it never materialized (I'm blanking out on the name). Stuff like that is really disappointing.
:)

Don't feel bad, and keep trying to thin it out. My Gateway station has become quite a monster. 2 billion polys + and counting. I plan on reducing it to something manageable when I learn more about 3DS MAX and it's capabilities.

I'm sure Ill be able to release the modules individually as most are size compatable with STS, and other launch systems currently in use. Like Space Station Building blocks, your station has real potential, don't throw it away just yet.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, and keep trying to thin it out. My Gateway station has become quite a monster. 2 billion polys + and counting. I plan on reducing it to something manageable when I learn more about 3DS MAX and it's capabilities.

I'm sure Ill be able to release the modules individually as most are size compatable with STS, and other launch systems currently in use. Like Space Station Building blocks, your station has real potential, don't throw it away just yet.

Don't worry, I'm fine. For now, I'm taking a break from this particular model. It's in hibernation right now because the only way to continue trimming it down is removing repeated sections of the ship- I'll just use closed doors. Easy as pie! Or freeze dried food which tastes like pie, because its easier to store on long missions. Also note that building Station VI was very expensive, thus renting a room is very expensive unless you have a full (or part) time job there.

More than two billion polygons? Goodness gracious. You should upload some pictures to another thread... I think this one is pretty much over with. For now. Also, I suppose Gateway is just a proper noun, right?
May I ask what your computer specs are? 2 billion isn't the highest out there, but it's pretty far up. For all I know, 3DS Max works fine with all of them. Or maybe your not always viewing all of them. You should focus on trimming down the polygons, but I would keep two copies: The ideal version, and the trimmed down version for programs like Orbiter. Thats what I'm doing- I want to have a copy of the ideal ship there, the Orbiter one shows only what you need to see.
I sent a PM to Ae7flux, the maker of the DG-HR, asking the highest number of polygons he's used in an addon, since all his vessels use amazing high-poly vessels. He hasn't gotten back to me for what ever reason... The DG-HR could use a re-paint or two, by the way.

One more thing. My Aries-inspired (also from 2001) ship is coming along nicely. I'm not going to say much more until I'm closer to finishing it. It's much smaller than S.S. VI and should be easier to implement into Orbiter. Maybe I'll include a glass eye or two around the cabins.:)