Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For faster travel between constructions, gravity tubes. Check the steam workshop for an example...

Yes, for fixed installations. Doesn't help when you only want to be able to orbit a construction faster to speed building times, or when you're trying to chase down an uncontrolled object going faster than 5-8m/s. I believe it's a little early in development to be saying the controls are fine the way they are...

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
And by the way, my first ship construction so far (if I don't count 12 engines attached only to a cockpit and generators to move faster than with a jetpack) -- a small asteroid-to-asteroid ferry:

Hows that working out? Have you had any problems with the rails getting wrecked? Or getting it onto the rails for that matter. What did you use for the rails anyway?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, for fixed installations. Doesn't help when you only want to be able to orbit a construction faster to speed building times, or when you're trying to chase down an uncontrolled object going faster than 5-8m/s. I believe it's a little early in development to be saying the controls are fine the way they are...
Sure, but it does the same job as Orb's asteroid ferry :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hows that working out? Have you had any problems with the rails getting wrecked? Or getting it onto the rails for that matter. What did you use for the rails anyway?
The rails look like Interior Pillars.
Yeah. Not sure which one is cooler, though. :p

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Hows that working out? Have you had any problems with the rails getting wrecked?
I've had only problems with end station's wall and ferry's front landing gear, front thrusters and lights being wrecked when I disabled inertial dampeners. :p Other than that, it works just great.

Or getting it onto the rails for that matter.
I built the ship close to the center of the rails. It was a little "above" the rails, so I've put a thruster on the top of the ferry to move it down until it touched the rails with its arms, and then I removed that thruster and built the bottom of the arms to keep it on the rails without flying away.

My ferry includes also 8 medium cargo containers (or it could be 2 large and a few small) for the future cargo that could be mined on one of the asteroids and transported for processing to the other.

What did you use for the rails anyway?
What Izack said - pillars.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The jetpack speed has been tweaked in today's update and on/off option for its dampeners has been added, too (among other things and fixes). Details.

And of course some people started complaining that controlling jetpack is now terrible, but I haven't tried that yet. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And of course some people started complaining that controlling jetpack is now terrible, but I haven't tried that yet. :p

Probably because the speed limit has been tweaked to 70m/s regardless of dampener state. It's much harder to strafe around a build target now. I'm still preferring it this to what it was, though.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I guess they've never seen the OMP development discussion. :p
A lot of which will not apply to a simple, global time game like SE.

Multiplayer shouldn't be too hard to implement there, and as Minecraft can testify, there is something to do for multiplayers in a game like that.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Multiplayer shouldn't be too hard to implement there
But why must it be the most wanted and important feature of every game? I'd like to see some of other features implemented before it. :shrug: Anyway, according to the poll results it will be a creative multiplayer for now with unlimited resources, and limited only by the time people will have to build their ships/stations.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
But why must it be the most wanted and important feature of every game?
If i understood that, i would have invented Facebook back in the last century...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
A lot of which will not apply to a simple, global time game like SE.

Multiplayer shouldn't be too hard to implement there, and as Minecraft can testify, there is something to do for multiplayers in a game like that.

I thought I was in the KSP thread. My bad. :lol:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Today's update:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Interesting

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well that's good--now you can make the "mashers" part of the GalaxyQuest ship!