Project Sigma rocket

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was wondering about having the plane attached to the side and then a payload up top, launch two things at once

While they are still paper rockets, the Sigma-III and the Sigma-V would do this easily, possibly putting the XR2 atop a payload ! The rocket I'm currently developping is the Sigma-I, the lightest of the family. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While they are still paper rockets, the Sigma-III and the Sigma-V would do this easily, possibly putting the XR2 atop a payload ! The rocket I'm currently developping is the Sigma-I, the lightest of the family. :p
Will this be a new class of LHLLV (Ludicrously Heavy Lift Launch Vehicles) ? :yes:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
lol... maybe not that much... :lol:

As I wrote on the third page, the Sigma-V should have 5x SSME and 4x 5-segment SRBs, with a diameter of 8 meters for the first stage, and the same for the second... While no experiments have been done yet, my guess is that it will send easily 140 tons to LEO, so it should be a "SHLV" (Super-Heavy Launch Vehicle). But it could be 200 tons as well :lol:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Exams (well, the competitive sort) in late September are currently slowing down the developpement. I will have much more time in October. :cool:

Still adding sounds, though, extracted from NASA launch videos. It really makes the launch more lively. Of course, I have to be careful with conditions (don't want to hear a "good control" comment while the engine is taking fire... :facepalm:)

Still have to rotate the fairing by 90° :p

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I rotated the fairing by 90° so that the logos are better positioned.

Memento : check that the fairing separation still occurs correctly... => works well.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm currently searching for NASA's video commented by Steve Agid, because I'd like to have the same voice commenting the launch main steps. So far I got the essentials, but I still could use additional comments.

So if you have any YouTube links, you're welcome :tiphat:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice ! With the ones that I already found, I have matter to work on ! :thumbup:

The "soundtrack" for the first stage begins to sound convincing, and I have the beginning of the 2nd stage track (until fairing separation).

Now I have to fill holes on the first stage track and build the track for the second stage (this last 15 minutes video is going to be precious !). There are less things happening during the second stage burn but still, I can extract speed & altitude announcements, "good pressure on the engine chamber", this kind of things... ;)

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I see you ate still using the fairing with the old patch ;)

Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
EDIT: In case anyone's wondering about what the heck I'm talking about, N_Molson asked me to come up with a few patches for the HCV. Here they are.

HCV-01patch.png

HCV-02patch.png

HCV-03patch.png

Yes, they were all supposed to be a similar scheme. So please don't complain about how repetitive they are. ;)

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The ISS silhouette on the first one is very difficult to discern.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
The ISS silhouette on the first one is very difficult to discern.

The ISS is not supposed to be the center of attention, thus, I did not contrast it to its background in order for the HTV to gain the main attention and focus of the image.

EDIT: Plus, on my screen, it is not hard to pick out. :shrug:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I was wondering about having the plane attached to the side and then a payload up top, launch two things at once,

Quasar/Eridanus is arranged to do this :) (altough not in the very first release).

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Anyway... still an excellent project... the polygon count seems to be a little low, or i'm wrong?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the patches Eli13, they are just fine to me ! :tiphat:

I finished my exams today, so I'm able to resume developpement. :)

For the poly count, don't forget that the boosters are the stock Orbiter ones :p

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The ISS is not supposed to be the center of attention, thus, I did not contrast it to its background in order for the HTV to gain the main attention and focus of the image.

But it's in the foreground! And it's light while the ISS is dark!

The ISS doesn't need to be nigh-invisible to 'not be the center of attention'. It certainly isn't on the other patches. :tiphat:

EDIT: Plus, on my screen, it is not hard to pick out.

Maybe my eyesight really is that bad. :shifty:

For the poly count, don't forget that the boosters are the stock Orbiter ones

So no 5-segment? Or are those a 'future growth option'? ;)

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think he means, multiple techniques aren't needed to draw attention to it in the composition of the patch. The darkness is simply redundant.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

What kind of performance increase do you think is possible with 5-segment SRBs on Sigma I? Will it ever be able to loft something as heavy as 70 tonnes without adding more stages?

I'd figure it out myself if I could, but I really can't, and I'm not sure how to estimate that.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What kind of performance increase do you think is possible with 5-segment SRBs on Sigma I? Will it ever be able to loft something as heavy as 70 tonnes without adding more stages?

Well, the difference in payload between the Jupiter-241 and Jupiter-241H is roughly 12 tons, so an increase of about 12-13%. But that is for Jupiter-241.. Sigma is a different beast and the performance change could be different.

I suggest two options, one would be the Launch Vehicle Performance Calculator and the other would be to test-fly it in Orbiter, of course. :cheers:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The second option is by far the funniest ! :lol:

The best option would be to use a downrated Sigma III (3x SSME, standard SRBs, small upper stage) I think.

Well, back to the board I'm working on the SRB contrails now, re-done the whole way it is managed, much more convenient and visually realistic now.

Also I'm not satisfied with my SSME exhaust, I have to put more work on that.

Once the Sigma I will be finished, the III and the V will be mostly meshes drawing and values editing. I will have to code a third stage, but again, once the main frame set, it won't be too hard.

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So much of a good addon is in sweating the details.

I'm excited to see what you do with SSME exhaust, and what you've done with the SRB contrails. It's details like these that make the experience seem so "real."