Shukra Venus Balloon Station Alpha Release 080810

Ursus

Rocket Tinker
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Once again, can anyone else reproduce the UMMU control problem?

You mean that the numeric keypad doesn't work? The numeric keypad doesn't work for... just a second... Aha! I just tried turning off NumLock and it works now. Maybe I should see if that lets me steer the Delta Glider while taxiing.

-----Posted Added-----

(Re: Taxi Steering)

Nope... Once the vessel starts moving, I can turn it with the RCS, but it's like sliding around on the ice. The vessel keeps going in the same direction.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Shukra Venus Balloon Station Alpha Release 080813
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3488"]Shukra_Venus_Station_080813[/ame]

-Fixed some UMMU bugs
-Added runway lights
-Added ADWS as UMMU controls
-Added more animations
-Added UMMU-interactable components

A lot still to be tested, so feedback is welcome as always.

New controls:
UMMU:
To move, set ROT or OFF mode
Motion as in ground mode, secondary - ADWS
Airlock B is on.
E - action button

Platform:
Alt+C - Stow/Retract landing strip
Alt+V - Stow/Retract probe
Alt+B - Cycle dropper
Numpad + - Raise station
Numpad - - Lower station

You mean that the numeric keypad doesn't work? The numeric keypad doesn't work for... just a second... Aha! I just tried turning off NumLock and it works now.
Now, a question to Urwumpe - do you have NumLock on?

Nope... Once the vessel starts moving, I can turn it with the RCS, but it's like sliding around on the ice. The vessel keeps going in the same direction.
The steering is not supposed to work yet.

The runway lights:
vbs-080813-1.jpg

vbs-080813-2.jpg

The dropper button:
vbs-080813-3.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now, a question to Urwumpe - do you have NumLock on?

Both. At first I had numlock on, like always, but I also toggled it in later tries, without a change.

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
Took the station to Earth, it needs a giant Zepplin ballon! Or you could style it in a 30's sci fi style and you have a Zepplin base!
picture.php

The Air Pirates take off from their secreat island base to plunder the sea and skys! We need some WWI planes! This add-on is amazing it is actually makeing me explore Venus!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Both. At first I had numlock on, like always, but I also toggled it in later tries, without a change.
Is there anything special with your keyboard?

Took the station to Earth, it needs a giant Zepplin ballon! This add-on is amazing it is actually makeing me explore Venus!
This is only a first step of a first in the series.
As is as, the ideas are welcome. The next two of the series will be something like that:

The Hades balloon station.
A deep atmospheric research station, locates at the 30Km altitude with pressurized hull, lifted by the breathing air.
The upper part contains a landing deck for 2 DG's.
The whole thing is more of a submarine than a balloon, but the balloon it is.
hades-080816-1.jpg

hades-080816-2.jpg

The Elysion balloon station is exactly the opposite of Hades, and is designed as long-term nice conditions habitation.
The sphere is suspended by it's own breathing air buoyancy above the Venus clouds or among their tops, providing lots of sunlight and a good view.
The rings on a side is a magnetic trap to capture and decelerate the incoming vessels, putting them on the pads at the side. The air is thin up where it is, so other landing methods are impractical.
elysion-080816-1.jpg

elysion-080816-2.jpg

Feedback and ideas are welcome.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there anything special with your keyboard?

Standard PC keyboard, nothing special. I use a German keyboard layout on a English language windows currently, but that is harmless.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
how about adding the ummu walking support to Orulex ?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Can the trap be used to launch as well? REVERSE THE POLARITY! lol
Maybe, if asked for. A drop sounds like a better alternative.

how about adding the ummu walking support to Orulex ?
Does not sound plausible.
Might be worth a try, but not anywhere soon.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've attempted to practice landing in a DGIV. My first plan was to take off facing the same direction as the runway, gain an appropriate (and perhaps arbitrary) amount of speed, distance, and altitude, and finally perform a vertical U-turn/ barrel roll maneuver and make an unpowered descent.

Attempt 1: Poor knowledge of Venus's atmosphere led to me enter the thermosphere and re-enter about 500 km away. Oops.

Attempt 2: Barrel-roll was much too slow. Entered the thermosphere again. Oops.

Attempt 3: Barrel-roll destroyed the wings.

Attempt 4: Decided to opt for a high-mach turn. Made the approach perpendicular to the runway. Smashed into one of the hab areas at 90 m/s.

Attempt 5: Came in perpendicular again, but made a sharp HAC-style turn to align with the runway. Lost too much delta-v and fell about 100 meters short. Ejecting from the DGIV was not the brightest idea. Rescue mission in another DG did not work out so well. Francois Bowman was cooked.

Attempt 6: Was much more careful with the approach, but didn't lose enough delta-v. Smashed into the very end of the short landing strip on my belly. DGIV and Francois Bowman were both cooked.

Attempt 7: Reaction time was not sufficient because the speedbrake cut down on the ship's maneuverability. Overshot into one of the balloons.

Attempt 8 is pending. Once I manage to land I'm going to try to perform an aerobraking maneuver from orbit to see if I can "re-enter" and make a safe landing.

I think I can keep myself occupied for a few days with this one. ;)

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very nice. Good luck, eveningsky.

Artlav... any chance Astra Space can lease a hab or two commercial tourism? ;)

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
This is such a cool add-on! I tried to hit pad 1 at first but went right through (going too fast I suppose). Dumped fuel to get better hover and was able to glide in and translate to the station. (Oops - went to extend my gear and they went right through the deck!)

Attachments

• grab_028.jpg
    grab_028.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 31
  • grab_029.jpg
    grab_029.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 27

Piet Barber

Reaction score
Website
www.pietbarber.com
UMMU_Tester, born with such a boring name and depressed by the years of orange and brown skies on Venus station, had reached his limit. He decided to end it all. He donned the Thermo-Suit 1000 (TM) and exited the airlock. He walked around a bit to see the station one last time. This station, suspended by balloons, high above Venus had been his home for 15 years. He walked to the end of the runway, and stepped off.

Due to the station's high altitude, and the thickness of Venus's atmosphere, UMMU_Tester took a very long time to get to the ground. The brave pilot Francis Bowman, who happened to be sitting at the controls of a delta-winged spacecraft, named the Delta Glider IV. Bowman realized that he could save UMMU_Tester with some smart flying, and bring him back safely to the Balloon ship.

The DGIV took off with the hover mode (PRO200SPEC8), and dove toward the plummeting sky-diver. Brave Captain Bowman caught up quickly with UMMU_Tester, who had assumed the high-drag belly-facing the planet. Bowman established a descending hover with the on-board autopilot, and established a descent rate of 18 m/s. Bowman opened the nose cone, opened the air lock, and waited for UMMU_Tester to sky-dive himself into the airlock.

Once UMMU_Tester saw the brave deed from Bowman, he had a change of heart. Refuge aboard the DGIV could easily be had. Years of formation skydiving practice back on Earth helped prepare him for this salvation. By changing the pitch of the skydiver with the RCS thrusters, UMMU_Tester could maneuver to make the airlock and go home. A few minutes of tinkering with his angle of attack, and he was right in front of the airlock.

"Beep Beep: Too Far from Airlock"

Just a bit closer

"Beep Beep: Too Far from Airlock"

"Just another inch"

"Beep Beep: AIRLOCK CLOSED" said the entry computer.

But both the nose cone and the external door are open? This does not make sense.

Another try.

The situation was growing more desperate. The closer they got to the ground, the more difficult the rendezvous became. After descending through about 25,000 meters above the ground, the rate of descent, coupled by the thickness of the air blew away the nose cone -- disintegrated in a puff of wreck pieces. No matter, the life of UMMU_Tester is much too important! Captain Bowman thought.

UMMU Tester attempted another shot at the DGIV's door. It is getting hotter by the second. The outside temperature is over 250 C. This Thermo-Suit 1000 (TM) designed by the Venus-Tech Incorporated is definitely doing its job, all right. But it can not last forever. There was only so much more liquid nitrogen in its on-board canisters, to keep the suit cool. One more shot.

Just a few more inches, and the door will be in the grasp of the free-falling astronaut. This time, however the descent was too much on the hover engines; the temperature of the hover doors melted the hover engines. Francis was immediately notified of the failure as the Autopilot screeched with bingo; alerts flashing all over the control panel. With the hover engines gone, the DGIV plummeted to the surface of Venus much faster than the descent rate of the skydiver. Pieces of wreck scattered from the crippled DGIV.

Captain Bowman knew he had lost the battle to save UMMU, or "Oooh-Moo" as his friends called him. There was a brief moment, when the DGIV made a horrific cracking sound, Bowman and Oooh-Moo made eye contact. Words were not spoken, and they both knew that saving Oooh-Moo would now be impossible.

The altitude was a mere 20,000 meters from the surface, and Francis knew that he would never see Oooh-Moo again. Bowman fired up the main engines and pointed the nose toward the balloon station, 20,000 meters directly above. The alerts continued to blare with annoying fashion, and could not be silenced by continually hitting the reset button.

After a certain altitude, the temperature sensors on the nose cone's remnants cooled off enough to silence the annoying alarms. As Bowman climbed to the same altitude as the balloon station, he attempted to land the crippled craft. With the hover engines destroyed in the rescue attempt, this landing proved to be impossible. Bowman made eight valiant attempts to land, each one ended up being too high of a speed for the DGIV to settle on the runway. Now, there was no hope for Bowman, either.

With fuel running low, Bowman had one last chance: one last approach. He lined up a perfect approach, with as slow as he could get the DG. Captain Bowman grunted with the explosion and sudden rush of Gee-forces as the ejection seat shot him from the craft. Within two seconds, he had reached the apogee of the ejection. He realized also that his fate was doomed. He had misjudged the angles.

Bowman ejected right over the end of the runway. His horrified cohabitants of the Balloon station watched in horror, as they realized he ejected too late; or the DGIV was going too fast. Either way, Bowman ejected right past the end of the runway, and began a free-fall toward Venus; flying with the shattered remains of the now-empty DGIV.

Epilogue:

Bowman and Tester both probably cooked to death before they were killed by the fall. We don't think either of them had a successful parachute deployment. All hands aboard the vessel wept for the great friends they had lost.

I actually did manage to do all of these things; I don't understand why the parachute didn't deploy, and I don't understand why UMMU couldn't get aboard the DGIV when I pressed "E", despite the nose cone and airlock being open. Oh well.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
how about a catapult to launch vessels ?

Hartmann

Reaction score
Fall to the surface is very dangerous, you need a thermal protection for the 450º celsius and the pressure of 90 atmospheres, the same of a 1000 meters under the sea in the earth. :lol:

NEEMO-11.JPG