Show us your battle station.

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Wanted to share an update pic of my rig/battle station. Recently picked up both the Saitek Pro Flight System and Saitek Pedals from a co-worker. I've since done some slight modding to my desk in order to mount things the way I needed to - removed the bottom shelf to make room for the pedals, and mounted the power strip on an existing support bar just behind the keyboard tray, which is currently (temporarily) being secured from moving by the mounting bracket for the throttle quadrant.

I also had to 'modify' said mounting bracket to get it to mount sideways to the side work surface, since Saitek in their limited thinking didn't make the holes for the mounting screws square/equidistant. It is currently attached (securely) to the quadrant by two diagonally-placed screws.

Attached is a pic of the result.

Also got the SaiTek steer and throttle? Mighty fine, that thing. :thumbup:

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
My "space command"(battlestation/cockpit)

My frankendesk isn't anything to brag about, but I like it enough to share. There's a lot I would change(wood on spaceships???) but it's unique...so here's a tour!!!

First, here's an overall view.

You can see my laptop, throttle and secondary monitor on the left table, my main monitor, my keyboard, headset(hard to see) and joystick are on the middle table, as well as my "kneeboard", and my trusty scientific calculator(I've had it since I was in middle school, my dad had it before then, I plan to pass it on to my (future) children if it will last that long).

Above that, on the shelf, you'll see my faaa(err....localized climate control system or LCCS), and my...beverage condensation shield(BCS), more commonly referred to as a "rag"(not an acronym).

3e4061d5.jpg

Here's a better view of my left desk, that tube is from a hydration pack mounted to my wall(meant to go in a backpack. I originally got it just because I drink a lot of water and it holds 2L, but it has a nice astronaut feel to it. Maybe I can get a second one to fill with applesauce.
desk3.jpg

Feel free to post pics of your own setups!

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Ohh that's just nuts! A hydration tube and applesauce dispenser. Let's add in a tiny microwave food slot and frozen dinners that have a gelatinous consistency. wrap all your snacks in futuristic foil!

Can't you buy astronaut food at like toys'r'us or hobby lobby or something, like in the novelty section?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think there's already a thread for these.

Mods, should this be merged here ?

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Ohh that's just nuts! A hydration tube and applesauce dispenser. Let's add in a tiny microwave food slot and frozen dinners that have a gelatinous consistency. wrap all your snacks in futuristic foil!

Can't you buy astronaut food at like toys'r'us or hobby lobby or something, like in the novelty section?

I've seen it around in a couple of places; especially the ice cream; but you can probably get it online. I do have a friend with a microwave and personal fridge in his personal junkyard....I could get them for less than $50. Ehh, but where would I put it; unless I turned my entire room into a space; If I were to do that, I'd just assume buy an old grain silo, flip it sideways, elevate it 10m in the air, paint it white, add windows....that actually sounds like a good idea.

I think there's already a thread for these.

I searched for "battle stations" but I couldn't find anything...I guess I did something wrong. My apologies, everyone.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
You ask us on the thread? You know, this isn't the best way to do it, because we don't need to notice that comment at all. The best way is to use the report button, which is preferable, or alternatively send a PM to currently active staff member.

Threads merged.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Here is my collision station :p

Upgrading soon to a Dell 24 inch monitor !

hedzup456

Semi-poetic moron
Reaction score
Website
mypoetryramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Well, my meagre setup is this...
kUhjU.jpg

Highlights: The Logitech Attack 3 joystick, in such a postionion that I can reach over the keyboard for atmospheric flight; The [I have no idea what kind it is] keyboard, used for the number-pad, as my laptop does not have it; the crappy mouse off to the right, much easier than using a trackpad! Also, there is a Compaq CQ57 laptop (2.53 GHz Intel Dual-Core i3-380M (380M, 3MB Cache) processor, 4 GB RAM.. Google it xD); And A nice tablecloth-Yes, this is on my dining room table. Whoo!

Then, there is this...
11hkR.jpg

Highlights-exactly the same, but two monitors in stead of the tablecloth. That one is in my bedroom, but my parents don't like me taking my laptop upstairs (probably something to do with the time I got caught trying to hack Win-7's Parental Controls) so only when they're out!

Not the best setup, and sorry for the bad photos (cameraphone). However, I am planning on building a desktop computer-i.e, getting a cheap computer, then upgrading each but individually-so soon to be upgraded :D

Oh, and while I remember, the sound for both of there comes form of on of these

~Hedz

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Well, my meagre setup is this...
kUhjU.jpg

Highlights: The Logitech Attack 3 joystick, in such a postionion that I can reach over the keyboard for atmospheric flight; The [I have no idea what kind it is] keyboard, used for the number-pad, as my laptop does not have it; the crappy mouse off to the right, much easier than using a trackpad! Also, there is a Compaq CQ57 laptop (2.53 GHz Intel Dual-Core i3-380M (380M, 3MB Cache) processor, 4 GB RAM.. Google it xD); And A nice tablecloth-Yes, this is on my dining room table. Whoo!

Then, there is this...
11hkR.jpg

Highlights-exactly the same, but two monitors in stead of the tablecloth. That one is in my bedroom, but my parents don't like me taking my laptop upstairs (probably something to do with the time I got caught trying to hack Win-7's Parental Controls) so only when they're out!

Not the best setup, and sorry for the bad photos (cameraphone). However, I am planning on building a desktop computer-i.e, getting a cheap computer, then upgrading each but individually-so soon to be upgraded :D

Oh, and while I remember, the sound for both of there comes form of on of these

~Hedz

Nice! You have good taste in video games.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You ask us on the thread? You know, this isn't the best way to do it, because we don't need to notice that comment at all. The best way is to use the report button, which is preferable, or alternatively send a PM to currently active staff member.

Threads merged.
I also sent Loru, who was active at the time, a PM at the exact same time.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think it was my fault then - I left O-F window opened in browser while I've got to bed (I usually set up a movie before I asleep with " at XX:XX shutdown -s" command to turn off PC when movie/show ends.

End of off-topic :p

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
(2.53 GHz Intel Dual-Core i3-380M (380M, 3MB Cache) processor, 4 GB RAM.. Google it xD)

My Lenovo G560 has the same processor, and onboard video. Works great for Orbiter, using inline DX7, D3D9 Client and DX11 Client. Minecraft, not so much, even on lowest settings....

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I think it was my fault then - I left O-F window opened in browser while I've got to bed (I usually set up a movie before I asleep with " at XX:XX shutdown -s" command to turn off PC when movie/show ends.

End of off-topic :p

Well, FWIW, I only sent it after I posted in this thread and realized, that probably wasn't the best way. I could have sent a duplicate message to another mod, just in case, and actually considered doing so, but figured it would be seen eventually. My bad, advice heard and received :thumbup:

Back on topic - seems economy is just a bit better for our business, and as a result I'll be getting a *little* bit of a bonus this time around (next week), and combined with what I've been saving, plan to spend a sizeable amount on a new rig that will run FSX flat out, max settings, without blinking, and retire my current rig to the duty of file server. Pics will come...

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Well my monitor is set to 1920 by 1080 now and thats the max in this laptop. Its kinda small to read though so I am getting proper monitor for those 24 inch :p panaromic views of the lunar landscape.....and source code !

So what kind of frame rates do you get with the dx11 engine for orbiter in the es72 laptop.

I got totally duped 'cause nvidia has put in optimus in the laptop and that has throttled the fps.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Am I worthless if I don't have at least a $1000 computer with two screens (or a touch-screen), and a joystick?

My computer cost $400-$500, because that was my goal for the allowance I was getting (mostly for playing music at church, but I don't do that anymore).

Last edited:

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Am I worthless if I don't have at least a $1000 computer with two screens (or a touch-screen), and a joystick?

My computer cost $400-$500, because that was the goal for the allowance I was getting (for playing music at church, but I don't do that anymore).

I had the same computer from when I was 12 to 18(got my own bank account and saved up enough to get a nice starting package), so I know the feeling; just hang in there. You can get a logitech "attack 3" joystick for $30, that's pretty much the standard entry level joystick; I bought one for my dad for father's day. They're a little clunky and lacking buttons, but if you try to get more features in that price range, you sacrifice durability.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

My computer cost $400-$500, because that was my goal for the allowance I was getting (mostly for playing music at church, but I don't do that anymore).

Ah yes, a lesser being that only has one screen! :p

I would love a 3 screen setup, then play orbiter on one screen, KSP on the other, and talk to you guys on the third.