Show us your battle station.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Am I worthless if I don't have at least a $1000 computer with two screens (or a touch-screen), and a joystick?

My computer cost $400-$500, because that was my goal for the allowance I was getting (mostly for playing music at church, but I don't do that anymore).

No you're not. keep in mind that I'm using that machine also for work and here I need second screen. Having 1 for tools and 1 for image you're working on is quite efficent (you can have all tool menus expanded). Also I need CRT screen since it has better color management than most LCD panels and I can calibrate it every few months to get colors consistent with my needs.

In future I'm planning to replace it by EIZO screen but that's beyond my current financial abilities.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
First, my "battle station" from when I rode Amtrak's Crescent this summer. This was taken about an hour south of Manassas heading southbound back home to Atlanta. I call it "Multitasking, Amtrak Style"
multitaskingamtrak.jpg

This is my desk however:
desk2.jpg

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Am I worthless if I don't have at least a $1000 computer with two screens (or a touch-screen), and a joystick?

My computer cost $400-$500, because that was my goal for the allowance I was getting (mostly for playing music at church, but I don't do that anymore).

Absolutely not. My current machine, which is staring at retirement in the next few days, cost $550 in parts in August 2007. It has served me well over the last 5 years, and I'd still be using it as my primary machine today if the power supply and motherboard were not beginning to flake out. And I also only have one screen.

But the new beast just arrived this afternoon. Of course, I have my daughter for the weekend, but after I take her home on Sunday, I'm having an unboxing party :cheers:

Gr_Chris_pilot

DGIV Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So here is my simulator-gaming setup....
I am curently making a new instrument panel for orbiter MFDs. I am using Saitek X52 joystick for LEO operations and landings :thumbup:
The main screen works with a sony projector and the instrument panel with a 32'' TV ( i am using the autopilot and radio panel buttons for keyboard commands for orbiter)

New pictures with orbiter soon :cheers:
:hailprobe:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow. Awesome setup.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
So here is my simulator-gaming setup....
I am curently making a new instrument panel for orbiter MFDs. I am using Saitek X52 joystick for LEO operations and landings :thumbup:
The main screen works with a sony projector and the instrument panel with a 32'' TV ( i am using the autopilot and radio panel buttons for keyboard commands for orbiter)

New pictures with orbiter soon :cheers:

Very nice! You have the same joystick as I do; I love the feel, but I sure hate the software issues I've had, even though they're easy to work around. I have a dream of one day(like, in my 40s) getting one those mockup capsules/the kinds they put in museums and turning it into a simpit; just for orbiter...but I'm still not sure about a capsule, maybe I want a furutistic cockpit...how did you ever manage to decide on what vessel you wanted for your simpit?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Show me yours, and I'll show you mine:p

Seriously, I ignored this thread for quite some time--I thought it maybe had something to do with OBSS, which I'm not involved in. Very cool to find out this is what it's about:thumbup:

My machine. IBM Lenovo ThinkCenter running Linux Mint 12. Wireless keyboard and mouse, and wireless Internet access:)
picture.php

And my mom's machine, from which I run Orbiter. It's an elderly HP tower dual-booted with Ubuntu 11.04 and Win XP Home. Conveniently shown surfing the O-F:lol:
picture.php

Gr_Chris_pilot

DGIV Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Very nice! You have the same joystick as I do; I love the feel, but I sure hate the software issues I've had, even though they're easy to work around. I have a dream of one day(like, in my 40s) getting one those mockup capsules/the kinds they put in museums and turning it into a simpit; just for orbiter...but I'm still not sure about a capsule, maybe I want a furutistic cockpit...how did you ever manage to decide on what vessel you wanted for your simpit?

Mine its a twin engine Baron 58T and i build it because its a piston aircraft (easy to fly with less procedures) but fast enough for IR(instrument rating) training.... With a few updates i can take a ''Training device'' license and use it for real life JAA pilot training..... With the new panel is gonna work perfect for orbiter!!! :tiphat:

oh and here is my pc

PSU: TURBO-X 650W Value Series
Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A D3-B3 (1155-P67-DDR3)
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 (1155-3,40GHz-8Mb) overclocked to 4.1Ghz!!!
Ram: DDR3 Corsair 8GBKit Vengeance 1600 C9
Graphics: PCI-X SAPPHIRE 6770 FLEX 1GB (Overcloacked as well)

Most of the time i am using my Dell inspiron 15R for orbiter
(4G ram intel core i3 ATI Raddeon 5400 series)

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The rig that I bought earlier this week and received this afternoon:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2544809&CatId=114

I plan to upgrade the video card later this year, but other than that it should handle anything I myself might want to do. I'm not a high-end PC gamer, so this should suit me for quite some time.

My new monitor. 2 HDMI ports, one for the PC, one for the PS3. This will do until I replace my TV next spring.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1164507&CatId=4420

**EDIT** I should do an unboxing article in my blog...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Due to a limited amount of time to get the rig up and running, I decided against the unboxing blog. It's taken me a couple of weeks to find time to connect everything, and reassemble parts of the desk I had removed, but here it is:
picture.php

I had recently decided to mount the new monitor on an clamp-mount arm, but it wasn't until I purchased the arm and brought it home that I realized the new screen doesn't have any mount points (!).

So, I decided to mount my old monitor on the arm and swing it over beside the new one in a dual-head configuration. New monitor is the main desktop, as well as the display for the PS3. Just behind and to the left of the PS3 is the A/V switcher that I use to switch sound source between systems and pipe through the two JBL Pro speakers laying beneath the desk (I bought these with my first Win 98 PC at Radio Shack, and they still sound great, full range sound, almost as if I have a subwoofer attached).

I do in fact have a subwoofer (an old Altec-Lansing from the Win95 days), but that is put away until I get a new sound card with 5.1 or greater support.

Getting a pretty solid 120 FPS 40-60 FPS in Flight Sim X @ 1080P resolution around my home airport. Haven't taken her into any weather or big cities yet, but am getting anxious to stretch her legs.

Last edited:

Gr_Chris_pilot

DGIV Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Due to a limited amount of time to get the rig up and running, I decided against the unboxing blog. It's taken me a couple of weeks to find time to connect everything, and reassemble parts of the desk I had removed, but here it is:
picture.php

I had recently decided to mount the new monitor on an clamp-mount arm, but it wasn't until I purchased the arm and brought it home that I realized the new screen doesn't have any mount points (!).

So, I decided to mount my old monitor on the arm and swing it over beside the new one in a dual-head configuration. New monitor is the main desktop, as well as the display for the PS3. Just behind and to the left of the PS3 is the A/V switcher that I use to switch sound source between systems and pipe through the two JBL Pro speakers laying beneath the desk (I bought these with my first Win 98 PC at Radio Shack, and they still sound great, full range sound, almost as if I have a subwoofer attached).

I do in fact have a subwoofer (an old Altec-Lansing from the Win95 days), but that is put away until I get a new sound card with 5.1 or greater support.

Getting a pretty solid 120 FPS in Flight Sim X @ 1080P resolution around my home airport. Haven't taken her into any weather or big cities yet, but am getting anxious to stretch her legs.

120fps? very very nice! with what fsx settings and pc parts?
I used to play with everything maxed out and have 40-60fps! pretty good fps for me but i cant get over the fsx stattering problem.... its not that noticeable but sometimes is pretty annoying :facepalm:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Not mine but it gets the point across just fine...

hp%2Bdv7.jpg

an HP Dv7 with Beats Audio, and a rather cracking CPU, though I will admit I probably won't have any children due to the heating issues.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
120fps? very very nice! with what fsx settings and pc parts?
I used to play with everything maxed out and have 40-60fps! pretty good fps for me but i cant get over the fsx stattering problem.... its not that noticeable but sometimes is pretty annoying :facepalm:

LOL oops. :blush: Was looking at an HDTV earlier and had 120 stuck in my head (120 Hz refresh rate). :facepalm:

At my home airfield (KHNB) with everything set to Ultra High, Framerate Target set to Unlimited, DX10 preview enabled, Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing enabled, I'm getting 40-60 fps.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I never like Antialiasing, simply because if I'm trying to line something up, like the navball, its a PITA keeping it level, so I use the pixel line to determine if I'm completely level.