Poll Sex Education

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
1. Are you a registered voter?
Yes

2. Should sexual education classes be required for graduation from public high schools?
Not required, but students should be enrolled in the classes by default, with an available opt-out procedure (which shouldn't be too easy)

3. Should sexual education classes be taught in public schools as early as middle school (grades 6 to 8)?
Yes. In many states it's perfectly legal for minors within 2 years (or so, it varies widely by state) to have sex. Moreover, some minors at this age are unfortunately already having sex, and I think it's important to equip them with the necessary knowledge to prevent pregnancy and transmission of STDs. Sex ed doesn't cause kids to start having sex.

4. If sexual education classes are required, should they cover the emotional aspect of sex (in addition to the biological)?
Yes. One reason many minors have sex at an early age is because they believe that it will be very emotionally rewarding for their relationship.

5. If sexual education classes are required, should methods for protected sex (such as condom usage) be taught in addition to abstinence?
Absolutely yes. Abstinence-only sex education simply doesn't work.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
And for the love of God, stop scaring kids with all the pictures of the diseases! Tell them to have sex out of love and use propper protection instead of teaching abstinance.

Scaring? From what I recall of my classmates reactions, they were almost more entertained by the pictures. It could never happen to them, of course... Of course, if they're entertained, it's almost more reason not to show the pictures than if their scared...

In fact, they just generally found the whole thing, no matter what was being talked about, from diseases to abstinence to protection, screamingly funny.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score

In a few years.

2. Should sexual education classes be required for graduation from public high schools?

No.

3. Should sexual education classes be taught in public schools as early as middle school (grades 6 to 8)?

Jeez, I had sex ed starting in elementary school. I don't see what the big deal would be if it's taught in middle school.

4. If sexual education classes are required, should they cover the emotional aspect of sex (in addition to the biological)?

No opinion.

5. If sexual education classes are required, should methods for protected sex (such as condom usage) be taught in addition to abstinence?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Yes
Yes
Should be left up to local school board.
Yes
Yes, otherwise you're missing the point.

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
1. no - i gave up on politics
2. yes
3. yes - i had mine with at the age of 10, i can remember that the parents could choose if they want to send their kids there
4. yes - emotions can be complex
5. yes - in addition, really??? sometimes i don't get usa

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score

Yes.

Not necessarily see answer 3.

Yes and no. Yes if the child's parents are incapable of doing it themselves, and no if the parents can prove they have given the talk (perhaps some sort of guidance pamphlet?)

Yes. Sex is more about emotion than the actual act itself (especially given that part is usually over faster than the emotions before hand).

This question is difficult, I think that the younger the child is, the less you tell them about the options. Once they are within a year or so of legal age, then give them all of the options.

However, I believe that most things should be done in stages. Children are usually interested in what sex is from the age of 7/8 at this point telling them what it is should be sufficient.

In addition to sex education, I'd like to see parent education and some sort of extra support/counselling. There are a lot of teenage parents (and those who are too busy or shy) and I believe that they need the education as much, if not more, than the child does.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Sex is more about emotion than the actual act itself (especially given that part is usually over faster than the emotions before hand).

Never has such an important amount of information been conveyed in so few words. I stand and salute you, m'lady.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
1. Yes
2. ~Yes... but I don't think one can "force" peoples to *fully understand* complex or sensitive things.
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes

Though in all honesty I don't think the school is the right place to learn about that.

I agree with you but practically too much parents in modern life don't have enough time or arent able for many reasons to teach such things.

School is maybe not the best place but it's better than nothing.

Dan

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In addition to sex education, I'd like to see parent education and some sort of extra support/counselling. There are a lot of teenage parents (and those who are too busy or shy) and I believe that they need the education as much, if not more, than the child does.

Amen.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Scaring? From what I recall of my classmates reactions, they were almost more entertained by the pictures. It could never happen to them, of course... Of course, if they're entertained, it's almost more reason not to show the pictures than if their scared...

In fact, they just generally found the whole thing, no matter what was being talked about, from diseases to abstinence to protection, screamingly funny.

See, that's the problem!

Some kids are scared, some just find it funny and don't take it seriously. While it's good that kids hear this in school, I think it's vital that every parent talks to their kid about it, because I'm sure they'll take it much more seriously.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

1. Yes
2. Yes.
3. Yes, before it is too late to teach this to them. You sure don't learn to use the brake AFTER you got the (biological) driving license.
4. Harder answer:
Ideal world: No, because I don't think that school should teach special morals, school has to be as neutral as possible.
Real world: Yes, because the parents usually don't do it before it is too late.
5. Yes. Abstinence is the best and most useless solution.

Isn't it funny? you teach 6 year old children how to kill in the USA, but teaching a 12 year old (grade 6) about reproduction is a complicated and controversial problem. killing life is treated like it is ethically good, making new life is treated like it is bad.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
5. yes - in addition, really??? sometimes i don't get usa
I've often wondered why people criticize the USA about that... Maybe it's a more common method than I thought. I don't believe I would consider anything we're taught to be 'abstinence-only'. Maybe that's unique to my school district or area; I have no clue. :p

Also, we do see pictures of diseases and videos of birth, and such things, and kids get bothered by it all. (I think most students stopped laughing after 6th grade or so) The problem is, no matter how 'scared' they may have been, they aren't likely to be thinking about the class at all when they really decide to have sex. The consequences are probably going to be outweighed by the person's desires.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Isn't it funny? you teach 6 year old children how to kill in the USA, but teaching a 12 year old (grade 6) about reproduction is a complicated and controversial problem. killing life is treated like it is ethically good, making new life is treated like it is bad.
(Emphasis mine)

Uhhh... what? Nobody was teaching me how to kill at age 6. Unless you mean swatting flies or something. What are you talking about?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
(Emphasis mine)

Uhhh... what? Nobody was teaching me how to kill at age 6. Unless you mean swatting flies or something. What are you talking about?
Down here, hunting is generally seen as 'good' although there are a lot of people that just won't do it. I learned to fire a gun when I was probably 6, but I've personally never hunted. (well, except hunting bullseyes and cans ;))

ThatGuy

Reaction score

1. Yes
2. That's a tough one. I'm going to say yes. It shouldn't be an extra class, though. Tack it on to a biology class or a health class.
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes, definitely. Teaching abstinence only is usually accompanied by diseased genitalia and doomsayers.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Actually, I just mean the few extreme cases, in which parents let their children shoot with machine guns on humanoid figures. Which goes a "tiny" bit away from sport shooting. And which is still defended by NRA activists as "their right" and "useful lesson".

I feel a tiny difference between shooting with an air rifle on a disc target (which I actually did at the age of 7) and learning how to operate an machine gun and how to fire it when the hostile liberals attack.

And regardless how much you argue about the usefulness of teaching children to operate heavy weapons - it is sure less useful as teaching children about sex.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Questions: (Answer with Yes, No, or No Opinion)

1. Yes, but voting is compulsory here anyway.
2. No. Graduation on the whole should not be compulsory (but then I have an aversion to all authoritarian schooling systems. I prefer to take personal responsibility for the education of my children).
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. Yes. On that topic, a funny story from my own sex education class:
Female Student: What is the most effective form of contraception?
Teacher: A Panadol tablet held between the knees.
A rarely used method though... :p

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, I am.
No, it shouldn't be required for graduation.
No, it causes more problems than it solves.
No, school isn't a damn support group. People learn stuff like that by themselves.
Yes.

Also, people actually get taught that abstenance is a viable idea? That must result in a lot of very frustrated and angry teenagers.