Project Roskosmos "тайга" Lunar Lander

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Those animations are tricky to code, but after some headache I managed to did what I wanted !

Here's the lander with the gear stowed (launch/standby configuration) :

11_03_11_00-25-13_LM2.jpg

On the Moon with the high-gain antenna deployed and the egress hatch open :

11_03_11_00-28-55_LM.jpg

Next to come : coding, in priority load/save parameters for the animations. Implementation of an oxygen tank with death of the uMMu onboard when empty. Parameters for a realistic main engine (throttling ability limited to a given range).

I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel ! :coffee:

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
This is starting to come together very well! I can't wait to see what the final product will look like. I have always enjoyed landers and the challenge that they give to the pilot. Nic job on this addon!:thumbup:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What are the dimensions of the mesh (stowed height and diameter) i hope it will fit into my LBS

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It is way smaller than the LEM, for sure :

Height : count 7 meters
Radius : max 4.5 meters

So a 4.5 * 7 meters cylinder is a good template (with gear stowed).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
About cabin pressure :

- The SoyuzTMA settings are sea level atmosphere :

760 mmHG
21% Oxygen (partial pressure 160 mmHg)
78% Nitrogen (partial pressure 594 mmHg)
1% CO2 and H2O.

- Say we use for Lunar EVA an Orlan-KM suit pressurized at 300 mmHg of total pressure, with a 100% oxygen atmosphere inside the suit. We have two problems :

1) We need to bring the crew to that pressure of 300mmHg.
2) We need to change the atmosphere composition to 100% oxygen.

- According to NASA charts, 300mmHg and 100% oxygen atmosphere is too rich in oxygen, but astronauts can breath it 72 hours without showing hyperoxia symptoms. The LM will supply oxygen for only 36 hours, so that's not a problem, we're go.

- We now have to deal with decompression sickness. We can use the LM as an "airlock" and apply there the pre-breath protocol, quite short with the Orlan suit :

The Russian EVA preparation protocol includes a 30-minute oxygen pre-breathe in the Orlan spacesuit at a pressure of 73 kPa (10.6 psia) to partially wash out nitrogen from crew members’ blood and tissues (Barer and Filipenkov, 1994)

Literature from the Russian program shows that of approximately 114 EVAs that had been performed in the Russian spacesuit, including 18 EVAs from the ISS, crew members showed no signs of DCS (Malkin, 1994; Davis et al., 1977; Fulton, 1951).

The drawback of the Orlan higher pressure is that once on the lunar ground, our cosmonauts will get tired faster. But the Soyuz and the Orlan were designed to work together, so it seems to make sense.

- When the LM undocks after 90 minutes (if we apply the depressurization rates of the Space Shuttle, a 460 mmHg pressure drop should last no less), the crew is ready for EVA and can continue the mission without having to worry with pressurization. Also, if there was a leak in the LM hull, they would only have to put their helmet on and to switch the O2 supply to their suits to be safe.

- The decompression of the LM on the lunar surface causes no problem : they put their helmet on, and switch the O2 supply on the suit life support system.

- The invert process is repeated on the ascent phase ; once the LM docked to the SoyuzTMA, they take several hours to get the pressure and atmosphere back to the nominal levels, then open the hatch and crawl back in the Soyuz BO.

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
From what I read in the thread, it is launched by a Proton, and taken into Lunar Orbit by a spacetug.
This looks great, can't wait to fly it.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Currently a lot of RL work.

However, I've been working on the electrical system (Sistema Elektropitaniya, SEP) and fuel cell basic simulation. The ECLSS (or rather Kompleks Sredstv Obespecheniya Zhiznideyatelnosti, or KSOZh) is on the works, too. The fuel cell is going to produce all the water needed by the crew (because it will be running several days during the unmanned flight to lunar orbit), that's an interesting mass saving.

I've already tried to fit it in a Proton fairing, it fits nicely.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Progress is still very slow, due to a chronical lack of free time :(

I'm making progress on the electrical layout of the subsystems, though. Have to add some parameters to the cabin environnement like Temperature, CO2 pp and H2O vapor pp...

Also there should be a coolant loop, using a pump that should draw some power and generate (a little) heat, you get the idea...

It would be interesting to add some physiological parameters for the crew, like the need to rest, to drink water to stay in good condition (an average or bad condition could be a no-go for lunar EVA, and could lead to the loss of the controls, eventually the death of the uMMus onboard)...

Failures will also be needed to make all the stuff interesting to play with...

Still a long way to go :p

11_03_28_23-15-19_LM2.jpg

BTW, the display of the altitude, vertical & horizontal speed vectors on the hud greatly helps for final landing phase !

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Done :

- CO2 management is coded, a working fan is needed to keep it within safe levels. Also the crew happily converts O2 into CO2 (based on NASA figures).
- The MFDs can be open and operated only if the computer is powered (and it needs some !).
- Depressurizing the cabin is a way to get rid of the CO2.
- Repressurizing the cabin consumes the accurate mass of O2 given the cabin volume & pressure.
- Fan failure if powered while cabin is depressurized (if the blades spin into vacuum, the electrical engine should overheat).

To do :

* CO2 LiOH cartridges replacement needed after about 12 hours (if possible decreasing efficiency). -> DONE
* AC Bus (with 95% efficient DC->AC inverter), mainly because wiring the whole spacecraft with 120-Amps-proof cables is absurd ; so we have to rise the voltage for the powerful equipement (heaters, computer...) -> In good progress

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Too much velocity = a new little crater on the Moon :lol:

11_04_25_11-40-53_LM.jpg

boby_nadeau

Reaction score
Cool ! But the crater isn't the same color than the ground. You could do surface tiles !

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That doesn't work that way. :p

The crater IS the vessel. Or rather what remains of it, with a few debris inside. :lol:

Just a graphical way to say "Game Over" :p

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Worked the hatch lock & valve, and added a particle effect during cabin depressurization.

11_04_27_16-13-30_LM.jpg

Textures are now needed to improve the visuals, but I have no idea how that hatch should look like. Any ideas / suggestion ?

Maybe something with two red arrows and "Open / Close" written in russian for the lock itself ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Worked the hatch lock & valve, and added a particle effect during cabin depressurization.

Better make it optional, unless you have about 100% moisture in the air, you won't see anything like this. I would prefer to disable it.

Textures are now needed to improve the visuals, but I have no idea how that hatch should look like. Any ideas / suggestion ?

Maybe something with two red arrows and "Open / Close" written in russian for the lock itself ?

Like that, also maybe with EVA repair markings, like circles around screws for removing panels.

More important: A differential pressure gage on the in- and outside, so you can monitor the airlock pressure. Since your door opens to outside, it would be not good to operate the latches while there is a pressure differential. It also means pressure equalization has to be achieved in any case.

In most western designs, the equalization valve is a simple circular button on both sides of the hatch, that you turn in a direction for opening the valve, the ejection nozzles are hidden inside it. In the center, you would have a simple mechanic interface for a EVA tool to override the pressure equalization valve in emergency, literally opening a secondary path for the air, that is usually tightly closed.

also, you have a crankshaft for operating the latches that keep the door closed and/or a mechanism to operate the door opening mechanics from both sides. A window is not needed in the door, but the state of the latches should be easily visible.

A good hint on the outside of the door would be an (white on green square) arrow (with a white cross) towards the first aid kit in the airlock, and instructions for emergency repressurization on the inside.

Not needed would be typical yellow emergency markers for ground crews, since there are no ground rescue crews when your lunar lander crashes.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Better make it optional, unless you have about 100% moisture in the air, you won't see anything like this. I would prefer to disable it.

I was thinking that oxygen released in space was white.

The cabin humidity will be around 30%, so there will be some water with the oxygen. So I will reduce the effect greatly ; it's still useful to have a clue that depressurization is in progress, other than the display on the hud.

Good point about the pressure differential : if a cosmonaut opens the doors from the outside and there is pressure inside the cabin, the violent door opening will probably kill him or damage his suit, while sending him away. And probably destroy the door, also.

I will add an hexagonal bolt that could be loosen with a tool, allowing a manual opening of the valve.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
NASA HIDH (to which you graciously provided a linky a while ago) has some neat ideas on hatch interface, but am afraid using bolts that need extra tools to do ingress is not one of them. What if you lose the tool during EVA?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
NASA HIDH (to which you graciously provided a linky a while ago) has some neat ideas on hatch interface, but am afraid using bolts that need extra tools to do ingress is not one of them. What if you lose the tool during EVA?

That tool is needed for EVA repair, emergency procedures. If you go by "What if Chuck Norris and Putin come along, hijack my lander and have a party in it, locking the astronauts outside", you will NEVER get done with design.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Losing a tool on the Moon isn't likely, and if you lost the toolbag in transit chances are you have much bigger problems (à la Apollo 13.)
I'd be paranoid of breaking the bit required for that bolt, but that isn't very likely either (what else are you going to use that bit for, taking samples? :lol:)