News Raspberry Pi computer, is it rational?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is there any software available for ARM Windows?

Well, if you have the clr, it should technically be capable of running anything that's built on .NET.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yeah, why would anyone ruin a perfectly good computer by putting Windows on it...?

On a serious note, how usable is it?
Is there any software available for ARM Windows?
I suspect it's no longer compatible with Windows CE of the 00s, the last time i saw such a combination.

It is, as can be expected from the Pi's specs and this being an unsupported installation, bog slow. The Pi's processor isn't exactly a speed demon and all rendering is done via software due to no hardware acceleration being available (yet, at least).

Additionally to what Jedida said, Mozilla should have nightly builds of firefox for Windows on ARM, for example.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The tl;dr of the below is that systemd should be purged with fire if you have it installed (which Raspbian uses by default, and maybe exclusively on more recent releases).
Funny you say that, because i actually ended up writing a simple service manager for looking after my processes after getting frustrated with systemd.

There had been some bizarre design decisions around there. My favorite is the thing writing some logs to /dev/xconsole pipe by default, which normally leads nowhere. It wouldn't have been a problem on a desktop, because the buffer lasts for a day or so. On a server, however, the pipe buffer would run out in a day and random things lock up.

Haven't considered getting rid of systemd completely, however. The remaining issues don't feel like software bugs, but i guess it won't hurt to try.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There had been some bizarre design decisions around there.

That pretty polite. I would rather call systemd a quick hack that many people try to turn into a working software.

I can't even remember the need for systemd....

Elbarbudo

Reaction score
Hello, I own 2 Raspberry PI2 and one PI3.
I am rather "software oriented" than hardware and I use these devices because of their small size, small power use and flexibility.
The first one I bought is used as a media-center with 3*2To disks. It runs KODI
The second one is a PI3 on which I run my own personal cloud and mail server.
The third one is used to drive my astronomical instruments (telescope, camera, GPS, ....)

The only limit to the use of these little computers is your own creativity..

I am not a big fan of video games, but there is a lot of old games running on RaspBerry.

Can I expect a version of Orbiter on such a cool device? Playing on my big TV screen in my living room is far best than playing on a small computer screen at my desk....

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, something new on the Pi front:

mostly following this guide, adding a web server and modifiying the guide's scripts a bit I set a Pie up to automatically receive and decode NOAA weather satellite images.

The website is available here.

Due to the basic antenna and lack of amplifier only about 60-70% of the passes result in a good image, but it's still interesting to see how the received images (obviously) correlate to the weather outside.

Also, I'd be interested in setting up a "proper" domain, but due to the fact that it would only be used for this or similar projects it should be as low cost as reasonably possible.

Attachments

• NOAA1820190401-205353.jpg
    NOAA1820190401-205353.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Shameless plug: I wrote the decoder for METEOR satellite signal, which works on RPi among other things - https://github.com/artlav/meteor_decoder

That satellite is digital, so images are of much higher quality while being in the same band and needing the same equipment as NOAAs.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Nice, thank you! I currently only have a v-dipole antenna with which I previously tried decoding METEOR data without much success, but I'll be sure to try it on the Pi.

mahdavi3d

Reaction score
PI-4 Prototype! added FPGA, more GPIO pins, SATA connection and more...

---------- Post added 04-02-19 at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-01-19 at 10:29 PM ----------

April's fool joke as professional as possible! :p I hope Raspberry Pi team consider putting some of those capabilities in the next Gen. FPGA would be most welcome.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
April's fool joke as professional as possible! :p I hope Raspberry Pi team consider putting some of those capabilities in the next Gen. FPGA would be most welcome.

Well, if you need an FPGA, you can already add it ...

mahdavi3d

Reaction score
Yeap! but I think one benefit of an All-in-one solution could be that the community takes step in a new direction. people with high skills in coding would do the hard job of developing ready to use (or semi-ready) tools, addressing broader range of applications.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Due to the basic antenna and lack of amplifier only about 60-70% of the passes result in a good image, but it's still interesting to see how the received images (obviously) correlate to the weather outside.

:rofl:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Raspberry Pi 4 B offers ground-breaking increases in processor speed, multimedia performance, memory, and connectivity compared to the prior-generation Raspberry Pi 3 B+, while retaining backwards compatibility and similar power consumption. For the end user, Raspberry Pi 4 B provides desktop performance comparable to entry-level x86 PC systems.
This product’s key features include a high-performance 64-bit quad-core processor, dual-display support at resolutions up to 4K via a pair of micro-HDMI ports, hardware video decode at up to 4Kp60, up to 4 GB of RAM, dual-band 2.4/5.0 GHz wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5.0, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, and PoE capability (via a separate PoE HAT add-on).
The dual-band wireless LAN and Bluetooth have modular compliance certification, allowing the board to be designed into end products with significantly reduced compliance testing, improving both cost and time to market.

https://www.elektor.com/raspberry-pi-4-b-1-gb-ram

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48747647

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm, i would have preferred a more compact version of Compute Module or Zero. Trying to scale up the performance feels like a wrong way to go these days.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hm, i would have preferred a more compact version of Compute Module or Zero. Trying to scale up the performance feels like a wrong way to go these days.

There are other boards around though that try to be less versatile and focus more on certain performance attributes.