Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I did not like those few Windows ME clients I saw. All the bad things of Windows 98, and only few good things. Most of us went straight to Windows 2000, like happened on work. We essentially migrated Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98 to Windows 2000 and also had the big joy of having only one kind of windows client for all employees, that was capable of being automatically installed, with only minimal work afterwards for installing and configuring special software.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
That explains it... my coding skills dropped into the bottom, when I became almost a teetotaler.

(Being drunk maybe makes you a better coder, but a much worse human for other things)
Don't forget the Ballmer Peak:
1610297328459.png
I did not like those few Windows ME clients I saw. All the bad things of Windows 98, and only few good things. Most of us went straight to Windows 2000, like happened on work. We essentially migrated Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98 to Windows 2000 and also had the big joy of having only one kind of windows client for all employees, that was capable of being automatically installed, with only minimal work afterwards for installing and configuring special software.
We also never had Windows ME at home - I remember though the same transition, going from a completely legitimate copy of Windows 98 to a completely legitimate copy of 2000 Professional.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Description of a commit I just pushed:
Fixed an issue where inconsistent interpretations of 'Y' between Joda and Java led to an issue that could advance the timestamp by one year during the last week of the year.

Sometimes I hate my job...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On Ubuntu, there's a really great screenshot tool called "shutter". Most significantly, it supports drag and drop to websites that support it directly from the application, without having to save the image to disk first and then dragging it from the file explorer.

Currently I'm on a windows machine, and the snipping tool lacks exactly that feature. So I go google "shutter for windows". The search results were not exactly helpful, which should have been clear to me before I even started typing the query... :LOL:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
On Ubuntu, there's a really great screenshot tool called "shutter". Most significantly, it supports drag and drop to websites that support it directly from the application, without having to save the image to disk first and then dragging it from the file explorer.

Currently I'm on a windows machine, and the snipping tool lacks exactly that feature. So I go google "shutter for windows". The search results were not exactly helpful, which should have been clear to me before I even started typing the query... :LOL:
Huh?
I can't remember when was the last time on any platform that the screenshotting tool or feature wasn't able to save the image to clipboard.
Then you go to the website and ctrl+v it in there. No drag and drop required.
It's saving to file that has always been fiddly on Windows in particular.

On another note, i never understood what is so good about drag and drop in general, and why the heck would anyone use explorer style file managers in particular.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't remember when was the last time on any platform that the screenshotting tool or feature wasn't able to save the image to clipboard.
Yeah, took me a minute to figure that out. I usually do drag and drop, because I have to move the mouse from the app window to the browser window anyways, just pulling the darn thing along during that motion just seems about the most intuitive thing...

Of course, if you're an aggressive alt-tabber, the other option is preferable. But I'm honestly not as much of a keyboard jockey as others in my profession.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh, drag and drop is nice if you are working with maps or CAD.... But not that much for managing files, the old "Norton Commander" like split view is still more efficient, despite windows allowing to quickly organize explorer windows into a similar layout....

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Yeah, took me a minute to figure that out. I usually do drag and drop, because I have to move the mouse from the app window to the browser window anyways, just pulling the darn thing along during that motion just seems about the most intuitive thing...

Of course, if you're an aggressive alt-tabber, the other option is preferable. But I'm honestly not as much of a keyboard jockey as others in my profession.

For me, I select the place I want to insert the image at in the destination window, quickly slam the mouse down to the taskbar to select the source window, take the screenshot then select the destination window again in the taskbar, then hit ^V. If a computer is configured to fold different windows for the same application together (on Windows), or runs a desktop environment that doesn't allow anything but folding them together (I'm looking at you Unity ?), I get very angry, very quickly, because my whole workflow is taskbar centric.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Reminds me of my then senior developer testing my software..... "Test step 1, step 2, step 3.... oh, lets improvise a bit here....oh, that was accepted? And if I now click here....oh it crashed. Rejected. Back to work."