Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like quite a different kind of university than our guy went to. Could I have somebody from that university, please? Because that all sounds very appropriate... (though one can overdo it on the documentation front IMHO. I tell my developers that they'd rather invest time in making their code readable rather than into documentation to make sense of an incomprehensible mess...)

I agree there mostly. Of course, if you do large business software and complex distributed systems, you have a different idea of what "less documentation" really means.

But if I need to read 5 pages of documentation to understand what the implementation of a business rule does, something is going the wrong way. The principle of the least surprise is a very important one. All I really need as documentation are "cooking recipes". How to setup the build environment on a new machine? How to get started for programming? How do deploy on the test system, who to call for deploying to production? What happens if the new version is rejected from production how do we go on? When I translate a business rule - what is the domain language? What is the domain model that we are working with?

Any kind of documentation you write, is automatically as important as the source code. If your documentation is not that important, why did you write it in first place? Same applies to tests. If you carry with you 2000 unit tests, that all fail for years, why didn't you delete them?

The best tests are tests, that you really care for.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wife: "Son, I cleaned your bicycle, pumped the tires and oiled the chain!"
Son, excited: "Did you mount rocket thrusters?"
Wife: "Uh... no?"
Son: "Awwww..."

🤣

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Wife: "Son, I cleaned your bicycle, pumped the tires and oiled the chain!"
Son, excited: "Did you mount rocket thrusters?"
Wife: "Uh... no?"
Son: "Awwww..."

🤣
Somewhat related, the newest Thomas the Tank engine episode includes the jet powered rail car.

Marijn

Reaction score
Hans-Werner Grosse (28 November 1922 – 18 February 2021)

Hans-Werner Grosse was a German Luftwaffe JU-88 bomber pilot and glider pilot who established 50 world records approved by FAI Gliding Commission.

The news of his passing only struck me today. I think Hans-Werner Grosse was the most legendary figure in gliding still alive.

Best wishes to his relatives and friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Werner_Grosse

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Great that he finally gets the fame he deserves, his personal life really outshadowed his epic achievements for years.

Germany once had C.F. Gauss on the bank notes, now UK also has a mathematician there.

(Contrary to the myth, the old German DM bank notes never had Adam Riese on them)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My Son is practicing "pour elise", but with a synth string effect with a lot of reverb. Now it suddenly sounds much more like a saviour machine track than like Beethoven... :cool:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
My Son is practicing "pour elise", but with a synth string effect with a lot of reverb. Now it suddenly sounds much more like a saviour machine track than like Beethoven... :cool:

Huh. I've never heard the title of the piece given in French before. In these parts it's always "Für Elise" (though it probably would be better if we just called it "For Elise", given that the average American will botch the German to something like what a German might spell "Frr illies").

I know that Switzerland has a significant French community. Is it more commonly known by the French title in Switzerland, or are you use yourself French-Swiss?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know that Switzerland has a significant French community. Is it more commonly known by the French title in Switzerland, or are you use yourself French-Swiss?
Nah, my french is terrible. Most of it I picked up in the military... Giving rifle assembly instructions was particularly fun (...maitenant, vous prenez le truck la, et vouz le metez dans cette machine ici...* 🤣). I've never thought about it, to be honest. It does seem like most people I know refer to the piece in french. Swiss german in general has a fair amount of words borrowed from french, but I'm not sure this has something to do with it...

* roughly translates to "Now you take that part there, and you put it into this thing here..."

Linguofreak

Reaction score
It does seem like most people I know refer to the piece in french.

Weirdly enough, when I follow the link from the English to the French Wikipedia article, the title there is "La Lettre à Élise".

So apparently, most languages call it by their translation of "For Elise", but in English the German title is used, in French a markedly different French title is used, and Swiss Germans call it by the French title that you'd expect the French to use .

Taken together, my diagnosis is that the human race is stark raving mad.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Try translating "Hokey Kokey" which has no meaning in English, into German...

n72.75

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.adabsurdumpublishing.com
I bought a book a few years ago by Brian Ferneyhough, without realizing it was in French. It was only $15, but I want to get my money's worth out of that purchase, so I really should learn French.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@n72.75 : Good approach! You should then be able to answer the question "Cela valait-il les 15 $?"