Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Wife: "Son, I cleaned your bicycle, pumped the tires and oiled the chain!"
Son, excited: "Did you mount rocket thrusters?"
Wife: "Uh... no?"
Son: "Awwww..."

?
Somewhat related, the newest Thomas the Tank engine episode includes the jet powered rail car.

Marijn

Reaction score
Hans-Werner Grosse (28 November 1922 – 18 February 2021)

Hans-Werner Grosse was a German Luftwaffe JU-88 bomber pilot and glider pilot who established 50 world records approved by FAI Gliding Commission.

The news of his passing only struck me today. I think Hans-Werner Grosse was the most legendary figure in gliding still alive.

Best wishes to his relatives and friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Werner_Grosse

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Great that he finally gets the fame he deserves, his personal life really outshadowed his epic achievements for years.

Germany once had C.F. Gauss on the bank notes, now UK also has a mathematician there.

(Contrary to the myth, the old German DM bank notes never had Adam Riese on them)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My Son is practicing "pour elise", but with a synth string effect with a lot of reverb. Now it suddenly sounds much more like a saviour machine track than like Beethoven... :cool:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
My Son is practicing "pour elise", but with a synth string effect with a lot of reverb. Now it suddenly sounds much more like a saviour machine track than like Beethoven... :cool:

Huh. I've never heard the title of the piece given in French before. In these parts it's always "Für Elise" (though it probably would be better if we just called it "For Elise", given that the average American will botch the German to something like what a German might spell "Frr illies").

I know that Switzerland has a significant French community. Is it more commonly known by the French title in Switzerland, or are you use yourself French-Swiss?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know that Switzerland has a significant French community. Is it more commonly known by the French title in Switzerland, or are you use yourself French-Swiss?
Nah, my french is terrible. Most of it I picked up in the military... Giving rifle assembly instructions was particularly fun (...maitenant, vous prenez le truck la, et vouz le metez dans cette machine ici...* ?). I've never thought about it, to be honest. It does seem like most people I know refer to the piece in french. Swiss german in general has a fair amount of words borrowed from french, but I'm not sure this has something to do with it...

* roughly translates to "Now you take that part there, and you put it into this thing here..."

Linguofreak

Reaction score
It does seem like most people I know refer to the piece in french.

Weirdly enough, when I follow the link from the English to the French Wikipedia article, the title there is "La Lettre à Élise".

So apparently, most languages call it by their translation of "For Elise", but in English the German title is used, in French a markedly different French title is used, and Swiss Germans call it by the French title that you'd expect the French to use .

Taken together, my diagnosis is that the human race is stark raving mad.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Try translating "Hokey Kokey" which has no meaning in English, into German...

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I bought a book a few years ago by Brian Ferneyhough, without realizing it was in French. It was only $15, but I want to get my money's worth out of that purchase, so I really should learn French.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@n72.75 : Good approach! You should then be able to answer the question "Cela valait-il les 15 $?"