Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
it was nearly a joke.
Was going to use Hoo-Hoo to rhyme with CHOO-CHoo, but that was even less Hydrogen....

Odly UK did get into Hydrogen Peroxide engines for a bit.

About 3 mins in.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I wanna be the level of rich where I don't get mad at beef jerky prices anymore.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Huh, never looked it up before.
What makes it expensive?
Are there cheap versions of acceptable taste?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Huh, never looked it up before.
What makes it expensive?
Are there cheap versions of acceptable taste?

Well, dried foods are almost always expensive per unit weight, because you're still having to grow the same weight of food, and then you remove most of the water, which is most of the weight. I'd be surprised, though, if beef jerky is too outrageously expensive on a per-cow, rather than per-pound, basis.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
WW2 'earthquake' bomb explodes in Poland during attempt to defuse it

Well, I am surprised. Would have thought would have all gone off by now.

Got some drone pictures now.

Can't see any bomb disposal or any personnel in the area. Do you think they knew it was going to go?

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Can't see any bomb disposal or any personnel in the area. Do you think they knew it was going to go?

BBC News said:
"Naval forces used a remote-controlled device to try to "deflagrate" the bomb - a technique that if successful burns the explosive charge without causing a detonation, the BBC's Adam Easton reports from Warsaw. "

As far as why beef jerky is so expensive? I have no idea, but typical prices, even for the budget/"cheap" brands, average about $1 USD per ounce.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I realise they would stand well back while their paraffin blow-torch was doing its thing. Just surprised you can't see anybody!

Anyone know how far it was from where the Lutzow was berthed and sunk. Only knew about the raids on the Tirpitz.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Evil_Onyx.

The bomb has been dropped right at the Southern entrance to the canal, not near the shipping in the Northern end.
Not disparaging the RAF in any way, but it seems a long way off from the likely location of the Lutzow?

On the other hand, looking at the size of the explosion, you wouldn't want to be near any of the other 17 coming down...

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
This frame seems to be the place then. https://ncap.org.uk/frame/6-1-1-36-11
Take note of the basin and the ship in the middle of the frame described as "German Cruiser" in the archive. That ship would be 200-400m from the bomb.

I was only going off the video plus google earth and then looking for features that fit along the canal, my mistake.

Marijn

Reaction score
From the local media in NL:

During his round on the beach at Vrouwenpolder, lifeguard Jasper Boeije found something very special on Wednesday morning: the remains of a Spitfire fighter plane.

At first, the employee of the Veere Beach Exploitation Foundation (SSV) thought that there was a seal along the tide line. He stopped his car to have a good look at the animal. Then he realized it wasn't a seal. What is it? That was not immediately clear. "I thought maybe it was a piece of rudder or something else from a ship."

He dragged his find to a beach post to hose it clean. Only then did he see that it might be an airplane wing. When he looked closely, he read the word "Spitfire" and realized that he was almost certainly dealing with the remains of a World War II fighter plane.

He then contacted Het Polderhuis museum in Westkapelle to find out what to do with that find. That brought him into contact with people from Wings to Victory, the museum about the air war over the southwest of the Netherlands. According to Jasper Boeije, they were very interested and also picked up the wing. According to the Middelburger, they will try to find out which aircraft it is and who the pilot was. If it turns out that the pilot is still missing, they can tell relatives what may have happened.

Progress was reported on the identification of the pilot.