Reaction score
Remember what happened last time Matt Damon went to space... :shifty:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Went hiking in Griffith Park earlier. Los Angeles has an awesome skyline.

CFt6IQQUsAAdbOs.jpg

CFt6IQeVEAIOgqu.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Where did the huge flying saucer go that used to be above that skyline in the first picture?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Putting Eminem in the "Hip-hop" category ...
Not including "Dance/Electronic" genres when counting "Modern" music (which makes up half the mainstream music now IIRC) ...
I know there's a "Pop" category but they did put Taylor Swift in Country music, which is itself an insult to the Country genre in general :lol:

And he concludes saying "we should be less judgemental of the listeners and more of the writers", but if the listeners didn't listen to songs so "dumb", we wouldn't have labels promoting songs even "dumber".

On the other hand, the Dance/Electronic genre has a lower word count in average, with some tracks without even featuring vocals, or sometimes just a sentence or two sampled over.

Intresting data (someone post this over to /r/DataIsBeautiful on Reddit), but nothing meaningful should really be made out of that.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
but if the listeners didn't listen to songs so "dumb", we wouldn't have labels promoting songs even "dumber".

Not really, because if the same company (e.g. TimeWarner) ultimately owns both a record label (e.g. Warner Music) and a media networks (Turner), then the latter ultimately becomes the advertising arm of the former, and will shove whatever the label produces down the viewer's throats to drive sales. The label, on the other hand, is motivated to drive its own costs down by producing more and more crap because it will sell anyway.

I've had a small enlightenment when someone has pointed out to me (many years ago, in the era of CDs) that there is absolutely no reason while a Britney Spears CD should be more expensive than a classical music CD, given that the latter requires significantly more people to record and produce. Heck, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwish"]a niche metal band[/ame] can even afford to hire [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Philharmonic_Orchestra"]a world class symphonic orchestra[/ame] to record parts of an album with a total production cost of mere EUR 250K. I doubt that recording Britney's opus magnum, ...Baby one more time costed more than that, but it was being shoved down everyone's ears for the better part of 1999/2000 as if it was something which costed millions to produce and had to be sold at all costs...

Ultimately, when the same party controls both the production and the media, then the free market no longer works, because you can use the media to create demand for your product.

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

Looks extremely shopped... :shifty:

:hmm: Yes. A movie about landing on Mars? Must be a HOAX.

Where did the huge flying saucer go that used to be above that skyline in the first picture?

Still there. Time has gone on since then and they now use cloaking devices. You only see them as huge, hollow, static clouds when warm moist air blows over their saucer's cold skin. I've seen them!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Go onto youtube and look up "Britney Spears no autotune" to see just how awful the pop music industry really is these days and what kind of garbage they are foisting upon the younger listeners who don't know the difference and aren't being presented with real talent.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Went hiking in Griffith Park earlier. Los Angeles has an awesome skyline.

I love Griffith Observatory. When I travel to LA on business I always try to find time to visit it. I shot these photos on a Diana toy film camera a few years ago and printed them in my dark room. I wanted to capture the 1930s Art Deco retro-future look of the place.

This is a sculpture to the great astronomers, I believe the ones shown in this view are Newton and Kepler.

picture.php

This is one of the two telescope domes.

picture.php

This is one of the telescopes, basically a museum piece these days. The other one is still doing astronomy and is closed to the public.

picture.php

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Happy Towel Day Everyone!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Towel day? I thought it was pentecost...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Towel Day, Geek Pride Day, Memorial Day, (day after) Pentecost, and many other things including the anniversary of Kennedy's moon goal.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
juxtapose that song with footage of modern drone warfare instead and it suddenly becomes wrong on each and every level... :shifty: