Humor Random Comments Thread

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
How many people here think my "new" username is pronounced "my-koo singularity" instead of "mee-koo singularity" like it's supposed to be?

Because I've already been on several Twitch channels where the streamer would see my name and pronounce it like the former instead of the latter. And I'd have to politely correct them in the chat.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Go onto youtube and look up "Britney Spears no autotune" to see just how awful the pop music industry really is these days and what kind of garbage they are foisting upon the younger listeners who don't know the difference and aren't being presented with real talent.

Oh man. That was... brutal. And I thought that Madonna back in 1985 was bad:

The quality has really taken a nose dive.

I near some ear bleach:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've had a small enlightenment when someone has pointed out to me (many years ago, in the era of CDs) that there is absolutely no reason while a Britney Spears CD should be more expensive than a classical music CD, given that the latter requires significantly more people to record and produce.

Actually, demand is what drives price, not how many musicians and engineers you had to pay. And, sad as it is, Spears sells a lot more CDs than any classical music group, even as she's faded from where she was a few years ago.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, demand is what drives price, not how many musicians and engineers you had to pay. And, sad as it is, Spears sells a lot more CDs than any classical music group, even as she's faded from where she was a few years ago.

Classical music is quite specific, because, let's face it, there is no real difference between a performance of the same piece by Wiener Philharmoniker and Simphonia Varsovia. Since the classical catalog is closed, sales tend to split across more orchestras.

That said, I took liberty of loading Britney's sales numbers into Excel, and it looks like she is decaying exponentially:

KejFTKa.png

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
This southern plains flooding is breaking so many records. OKC metro area is FAR past the record for wettest month since records began in 1890. When I checked a few days ago, they were around 20" (0.5m) of rain for May. Roads are eroding away, lakes and rivers are overflowing, and dams are having to release water. Many cities across the south have large areas with cars almost fully underwater. A few drownings and a number of missing people. Tornadoes seem even more abundant than usual all across Tornado Alley.
At the start of the month, it was already catastrophic in Oklahoma and northern Texas. One day around OKC there was 'large apple' size hail, tornadoes one after another, intense flooding, half a foot of rain in two hours, several notable earthquakes (unrelated but only recently common), and some zoo bears escaped.
Warming up for a rapture apparently.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This southern plains flooding is breaking so many records. OKC metro area is FAR past the record for wettest month since records began in 1890. When I checked a few days ago, they were around 20" (0.5m) of rain for May. Roads are eroding away, lakes and rivers are overflowing, and dams are having to release water. Many cities across the south have large areas with cars almost fully underwater. A few drownings and a number of missing people. Tornadoes seem even more abundant than usual all across Tornado Alley.
At the start of the month, it was already catastrophic in Oklahoma and northern Texas. One day around OKC there was 'large apple' size hail, tornadoes one after another, intense flooding, half a foot of rain in two hours, several notable earthquakes (unrelated but only recently common), and some zoo bears escaped.
Warming up for a rapture apparently.

I don't know if it's in poor taste, but when all this flooding in OK and TX hit the news all I could think about was this tune by the late great SRV...

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

PS.: That video of the car sweeping away is heartbreaking.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Houston just went into Flash Flood Emergency status for the first time ever according to National Weather Service.
I don't remember Tropical Storm Allison (too young mostly). As far as I know, Allison was worse, but we're catching up pretty fast. Bodies of water are all overflowing one by one. Highway traffic is completely stuck until water goes back down. I haven't heard about any official evacuations, so the metro area is full of millions of people still, including those close to bayous that are overflowing by several feet. Hopefully people will decide not to go to work today if it means crossing roads prone to flooding.
Reportedly, people are still trying to get home from the Rockets game that ended like five hours ago.
Lightning has caused numerous fires and consequently injuries, including a firefighter falling through a burning house.
Radar indicates hail possibly (not confirmed) as large as grapefruits.

667cb29b7669bea7d663142853c263e2.jpg

6bd89bd24d48e5ff0ac3449d1dfedcfe.jpg

eb811fbda9cdac9bb2cec51dacaa957b.jpg

6am: Rain has let up and water is finally starting to drain. It will probably still be hours before traffic gets going but at least it's getting better. Importantly, emergency services have been unable to get to people in trouble. Hopefully that improves quickly.
Altogether, some areas saw over 10" (0.25m) of rain.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Back from cruise vacation for 3 days now and it still feels like the house is moving.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, at least you're not in a seismic area.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Learned something new, today: In eastern Asian countries, karaoke is apparently a horrible idea:

To be fair, the first seems more of a dispute on how to raise your kid... :blink:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
So you have a phantom cruising sensation?

:rofl:
Most sailors I know call it "Dock Rock". I can get my sea-legs back in a matter of moments, but dock-rock seems to last for weeks. I constantly feel like I'm falling and can feel the ship vibration. you'd figure 130K tons worth of cruise ship could absorb much of the vibration, but it's there (kind of like the ship noise in ST:NG).