Humor Random Comments Thread

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The kiddo is approaching a point where she just wants it walked through a warm room. That's a bit much even for me. But eh, I raised a carnivore.

I have just flame kissed them to seal in the flavor and tossed them on a plate. It really depends on which cut I'm dealing with. You can't cook fillet mignon like a New York strip. Entirely different methodologies.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, salt on a steak is a no no for me.

Pepper, a little garlic or seasoning maybe, but if you need salt you are doing it wrong.

Absolutely agree about sauces. Steak sauce is only good for people who don't know anything about how to eat.

I grew up in New Jersey surrounded by Italian restaurants, so I have some experience with how to eat properly.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'll leave mine to cook a bit longer. I eat mine so well done that the one depicted there might as well still be mooing.

Oh. A beef chip lover, I see. :lol:

Medium rare is the best, imo. Still tender, but done enough to melt the fats and seal in the flavors.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The kiddo is approaching a point where she just wants it walked through a warm room. That's a bit much even for me. But eh, I raised a carnivore.

I have just flame kissed them to seal in the flavor and tossed them on a plate. It really depends on which cut I'm dealing with. You can't cook fillet mignon like a New York strip. Entirely different methodologies.

A quick sear on a hot cast iron pan does nice things with some cuts of beef if you don't have a flame grill.

I do something similar with thick tuna steaks, but I first rub them with salt and peppercorns and a little olive oil, then sear them, butterfly them and stuff with feta cheese and dried tomatoes. So good.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
You guys are killing me with all this food talk. Thursday can't come fast enough!

Patience is a virtue when cooking meat. My wife has no patience - she cooks beef on max heat until the smoke alarm goes off which yields something between the consistency of shoe leather and a burned log. Poultry is another matter - she thought it only took 2 hrs to cook a 12 lb turkey. When I sliced into it I was half expecting to see a beating heart. Crisp on the outside, cold and raw on the inside.

She's an incredible pastry and bread maker, but I do the meat. Always.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue when cooking meat. My wife has no patience - she cooks beef on max heat until the smoke alarm goes off

Actually, I like my steaks pittsburgh style. But since we don't have anything capable of producing enough heat for that at home, I settle for "brings its own sauce when cut" :p

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Well done? You mean ruined? Such heresy!
I cannot allow myself to make hockey pucks. If you want one like that you'll have to make it yourself.

You're sounding rather like my uncle.

Seriously though, if you cook it that done you've cooked all the flavor out.

Nonsense, well done beef of any kind has plenty of flavor. Even plain old low quality hamburger.

A well cooked steak needs no sauces (A1, Heinz 57 or whatever)./
A well done steak doesn't need sauces either. Even hamburger doesn't need sauces (though in that case I tend to be a huge fan of mustard).

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
Guys, stop. It's 11:20 a.m. here in Germany. One hour to go until lunch break. I'm starving. Stop talking about meat! :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Guys, stop. It's 11:20 a.m. here in Germany. One hour to go until lunch break. I'm starving. Stop talking about meat! :lol:

I feel terribly annoyed by fate...

Sunday, I wanted to make some tortellini (baked, with ham and lots of cheese). My old small baking dish was destroyed, so I decided to take the larger new one. In the new one, had so much volume, I decided to double the ingredients. Luckily I had enough stored in my fridge......

Now, after nearly only eating tortellini for two and a half days, what is available in the company canteen? Tortellini. :facepalm:

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
Nothing beats these:

51uddoJV9FL.jpg

Perfect festival food :headbang:

EDIT: Well... not the ones with vegetables. No. No, no, no.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That point where you start thinking about individual webservices as classes in a larger application superstructure, and start thinking of ways to apply inheritance concepts to them... :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That point where you start thinking about individual webservices as classes in a larger application superstructure, and start thinking of ways to apply inheritance concepts to them... :facepalm:

Welcome to my world of madness. :lol: Luckily, I decided to leave this for smarter people and apply inheritance concepts to the following layers in the domain specific language used to describe the logic of the remote methods.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Had my 2005 Honda Civic engine cleaned today so I could find and fix an oil leak (cam shaft plug seal). It was all nice and clean and shiny, looks new! I showed my wife how good it looked - she thinks I'm weird.

Just rolled past 300,000 miles and I am proud and attached to this car. I am now thinking of its mileage in terms of Apollo 13's trip around the moon - just did my TEI burn and am on the way home...wonder if I can make it to entry interface without too much stuff failing.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
If it's built like they used to build 'em, expect to have to an engine rebuild a there between now and 500k miles. Generally it's due to worn out rings needing to be replaced, but that's the ti.e to fix all the other major or minor issues that have accrued over time. It'll cost far less than a new car, and less than most used ones, if you do the assembly work yourself.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
If it's built like they used to build 'em, expect to have to an engine rebuild a there between now and 500k miles. Generally it's due to worn out rings needing to be replaced, but that's the ti.e to fix all the other major or minor issues that have accrued over time. It'll cost far less than a new car, and less than most used ones, if you do the assembly work yourself.

I've been keeping up on the maintenance and I am definitely thinking about doing a rebuild when the time comes. I change the oil religiously and it's not burning oil yet (the cam seal leak just happened within the last few weeks). I'm pretty impressed; it's a good little engine.

I'd love to do an engine rebuild when the time comes but I don't have a garage or shop. I work with a bunch of gear heads who might be willing to help me with this.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I've been keeping up on the maintenance and I am definitely thinking about doing a rebuild when the time comes. I change the oil religiously and it's not burning oil yet (the cam seal leak just happened within the last few weeks). I'm pretty impressed; it's a good little engine.

I'd love to do an engine rebuild when the time comes but I don't have a garage or shop. I work with a bunch of gear heads who might be willing to help me with this.

My dad and I sent the head and cylinders out to be machined, but did the assembly work ourselves, largely on the driveway and using tools from Harbor Freight (torque wrenches being among the biggest exceptions...). Not too hard, especially with the tuner community in the mix.