Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It also made the ship lighter for a given armament and level of protection by shortening the citadel, which allowed more weight to be devoted to propulsion.

Yes, but it was mostly applied to treaty warships, which negated the positive effects a lot.

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
Any idea what this species is? Found it in the toilet. The good news is that it's gone, the bad news is that I don't know where :lol:. It doesn't seem to be a web weaver,,,,it even falls when it tries to climb the walls.

IMG_3429.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Any idea what this species is? Found it in the toilet. The good news is that it's gone, the bad news is that I don't know where :lol:. It doesn't seem to be a web weaver,,,,it even falls when it tries to climb the walls.

IMG_3429.jpg

Tegenaria domestica

APDAF

Reaction score
Looks like a common garden wolf spider to me?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks a lot like what we call a "Carpenter" (Zimmermann) in Switzerland, which looks like a cross between a large mosquito and a spider...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks a lot like what we call a "Carpenter" (Zimmermann) in Switzerland, which looks like a cross between a large mosquito and a spider...

Aren't those the same that we call "Weberknecht" here? Phalangium opilio for the zoologists.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aren't those the same that we call "Weberknecht" here?

Looks similar, though the pictures I found when googling seem to have a wider body. Could just be me never really looking that close, though.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

IMG_3429.jpg

Tegenaria domestica. Don't be afraid of him. His bite is harmless with little to no pain.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's a spiderbro! Leave it be, and it'll help keep the bug population in the house down.

Usually I leave them alone until they're in bathroom or trying to live in my PC.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Tegenaria domestica. Don't be afraid of him. His bite is harmless with little to no pain.

Huh, the legs look a lot shorter compared to the body on those pictures.
Anyways, it's got a relative called the hobo-spider? seriously? :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Little pain? I catch them with my bare hands, when my girlfriend demands more "privacy". No pain at all. An Araneus is different there, thats a little pain sometimes.

Usually I have a very good relation with the spiders in my house. They stay away from me and I stay away from them. And I never kill a good spider...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I usually don't kill spiders unless they startle me. My wife will just scream and maybe stomp at it (they usually outrun her), my kid takes the same tack as I do. The kiddo's cat on the other hand loves eating them.

We have a ton of these around, people afound here argue that they are brown reluse, but I know otherwise.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider
Generally I get a yellow garden spider around a window every summer. Those things can be pretty impressive looking, but are harmless.

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
I like the orb weavers...they can get pretty big in some more secluded area. I used to be appalled by spiders, but after observing a few of them in nature, you realize that they're quite cool creatures.
And yes, they keep the insects away.This summer has been lacking in spiders around the house, and it really shows. Might be something coming for a while, this winter I didn't see any of those white "nests" they build high up on the trees,

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I like the orb weavers...they can get pretty big in some more secluded area.

I just noticed this morning a lot of these are out. "Garden spiders" is the common name in the UK. There's always a large number of fat ones appearing suddenly around this time of the year.

Being a wuss I don't like spiders on my skin, but they are beautiful to watch (from a distance!) especially the big web weavers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/European_garden_spider

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I just noticed this morning a lot of these are out. "Garden spiders" is the common name in the UK. There's always a large number of fat ones appearing suddenly around this time of the year.

Being a wuss I don't like spiders on my skin, but they are beautiful to watch (from a distance!) especially the big web weavers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/European_garden_spider

I have many fat ones around me, but usually they prefer to stay outside.

My favorite local spider is this one, the wasp spider:

Argiope_bruennichi_08Oct10.jpg

Its is very common at the local military training area of the army, so you quickly became used to the sight of having one hanging in front of your nose when you crawled through the high grass. They produce very beautiful nets though:

Wespenspinne-w-.jpg

steph

Reaction score
I have many fat ones around me, but usually they prefer to stay outside.

My favorite local spider is this one, the wasp spider:

Argiope_bruennichi_08Oct10.jpg

Its is very common at the local military training area of the army, so you quickly became used to the sight of having one hanging in front of your nose when you crawled through the high grass. They produce very beautiful nets though:

Wespenspinne-w-.jpg

That's the one...I always thought it was an orb weaver, but in hindsight, it did have an intriguing pattern on its back. I must have some photo of it on my HDD, I photographed it like crazy when I discovered it (wan't much to discover actually, it had its web on a night lamp on out porch, and it was pretty much clearly visible due to it size) Also, seeing it weave its web is quite mesmerizing, it has a sinister and slow way of moving around.

Edit: found the photos

spider.jpg

This one was by the wall, near some bushes. Slightly smaller, but a lot more of these around. Are they related? I always thought this one to be the generic orb weaver.

10268492_805392039492607_4596993651826832699_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hmmm those big yellow wasp spiders are a different matter - the ones I am used to are just the regular "little" round bodied garden spiders.

If those yellow ones weren't so rare over here, they would be called the "change-of-underwear spider" :)

steph

Reaction score
They aren't THAT big, I don't think they can get more than a few centimeters in diameter...but then again , seeing them with legs extended in the bushes is a bit...unnerving :p The tegeneria for example is as big , or bigger.

Here's a video of it weaving (camera was on a tripod, some distance away :lol: )