Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My completely scientific estimate? Like, six VW Bugs.

Please, no Volkswagen jokes on a Monday. The horror, the horror...:facepalm:

---------- Post added 08-30-16 at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-29-16 at 04:00 PM ----------

A Swiss F-18 fighter jet is missing, its feared that its another fatal crash. :(

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
WBN2 is a 99% power and producing 1194 MW.
River temperature is keeping us from 100% at the moment.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Sitting in with the TVA and Westinghouse engineers, were going to sit here at 99% for some testing, so river temp is moot. Even at 100% we aren't sure we're going to get many more MW out of the unit (like 1 or 2). For all intents and purposes we are wide open.

They are discussing valve characteristics... We're on the other side of the pressure curve, so the valves don't have much more to give. 1194MW in the middle of summer is pretty freakin' good if you ask me.

So the end is finally in sight. It'll be really nice to go back to a "normal" work schedule.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Could you disperse all the horror scenarios of fish soup and steam clouds that comes to imagination from this phrase as seen without any clarifications?

Ok. Now I see PC along with entire crew on the river bank chilling fuel rods by dipping them in river using fishing rods.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Sure!

There are essentially 3 main water systems that we use; Primary Water (this is the water inside the reactor used for cooling) is a closed system. Or at least at closed as we can make it. There is some leakage, but it is rigorously monitored and identified. And it is an awful small amount, like less than a teaspoon per hour or something like that... it's shiny-pipe stuff so not my department (Chemistry and RadCon take care of that).

The condensate system is pumped through the steam generators to generate (eventually) superheated steam. It's also a more-or-less closed system.

This steam is fed to the turbine where it then passes across tubes below the turbine in the condenser (where it accumulates in the hotwell as condensate to repeat the cycle).

In order to have an efficient transfer of energy from steam to condensate, we use river water from upstream of Watts Bar dam that is piped through the condenser. As river temperature increases efficiency decreases. And why power plants can crank out several more megawatts during the winter months.

There are other factors as well; tube leaks, clogged tubes (things have been known to get past strainers), backpressure, condenser vacuum, environmental conditions (big thunderstorm - drop in atmospheric pressure) etc.

Anyway... after the river water (called condenser circ water or CCW) passes through the condenser it is pumped over to the cooling tower. Here there are lift pumps that send it up into the interior to be sprayed onto some diffusers to eventually rain down into a basin under the tower (oddly enough called a cooling tower basin). This water will eventually flow wind up back in the Tennessee River (normally spending some time in one holding pond or another. The big plume rising up out of our cooling towers is nothing more than water vapor. This water here participated in the transfer of energy as one medium (steam rolling the turbine at around 770 degrees F) to another (condensate in the hotwell at around 94 F).

The water has to be held on site because we are only permitted to discharge water once it's cooled down to some temp that I don't care to know. We cannot just discharge it to the river, that temperature shock would kill off some wild life and fishes, clams and the greenies would just love that...)

So there you have it. I'll admit it's over-simplified, but it'd need a thread of it's own to explain fully.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We cannot just discharge it to the river, that temperature shock would kill off some wild life and fishes, clams and the greenies would just love that...)

Also, some other algae just love that warm water, which is a good way to turn a clean river into a brown-green stinking soup. Nobody likes that, especially because it also ruins the flow of the river eventually.

(And much worse than the temperature itself is the fact that the water can hold less molecular oxygen dissolved, when warmer)

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well I may have jinxed it. The good news is that all the safety systems work.

Almost 3 hours ago "B" phase transformer blew up. Unit tripped offline and all systems worked as designed. We've got a lot of emegency services people on site, the transformer was full of mineral oil, so there's no PCB to clean up, but still it's a mess.

The silly thing is we were going to trip from 100% this Friday to test all these same systems, but since it was unplanned the NRC said it doesn't count and we can't take credit for it. But like I say, all systems worked flawlessly. Unit 2 is in mode 3 and holding, turbine and feed pumps are on turning gear. We just need some direction, parts and a clear path.

Still nothing from the Powers regarding the fatality at Groende. I'm thinking that since it wasn't related to the primary, that noone cares. Sad really, a life lost like that and it hasn't made it to any safety notices. :beathead:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, according to the security video there was a spark first on the 161 side of the step-up transformer. This was immediately followed by a lot of flame and smoke. Followed by more flame as the mineral oil was atomized and ignited.

So to put in managerial speak it was a post ingnition followed by a spontanious and rapid disassembly?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh... so it actually blew up. I thought it might be in-speak for a serious malfunction that does not necessarily involve rapid disassembly accompanied by loud noises.

Like, when the sysadmin says "The server blew up", he doesn't usually mean that the thing went physically kablooey, just that the whole solution stopped working from one moment to the next.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Still nothing from the Powers regarding the fatality at Groende. I'm thinking that since it wasn't related to the primary, that noone cares. Sad really, a life lost like that and it hasn't made it to any safety notices. :beathead:

Yeah, not much here as well, it took a while until the national news noticed the event (2 days ago). It was none of the 247 significant nuclear events at that nuclear power plant that had to be reported to the government in the past years.

The monthly reports of the nuclear power plant events are also only available for June 2016, the following months are not yet published.

http://www.bfs.de/DE/themen/kt/ereignisse/berichte/monatsberichte/monatsberichte.html

Still there is a criminal investigation running in the background.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Like, when the sysadmin says "The server blew up", he doesn't usually mean that the thing went physically kablooey, just that the whole solution stopped working from one moment to the next.

Those had been times, when servers actually DID blow up...

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The water has to be held on site because we are only permitted to discharge water once it's cooled down to some temp that I don't care to know. We cannot just discharge it to the river, that temperature shock would kill off some wild life and fishes, clams and the greenies would just love that...)

So there you have it. I'll admit it's over-simplified, but it'd need a thread of it's own to explain fully.

Sections 316 a (cooling water discharges) & b (cooling water intakes) of the Clean Water Act. I worked with a consulting company that helped plants meet these requirements.

The best fix to lower discharge temperature (316 a) is to put more cooling water through the condenser. However, you risk sucking up all the aquatic life on the intake side (316 b). You either need to put big intake screens out to exclude wildlife ($$$), build closed loop cooling towers ($$$$), or de-rate your plant (WTF! :huh:).

A lot of big plants have been whacked by trying to get into compliance with these rules, and then they got double whacked with sulfur and mercury emissions remediation, then finally CO2 rules. Coal in particular pretty much dried up because of this triple whammy.

Natural gas Brayton cycle plants are king now because it they produce less CO2 per unit of energy, have less pollutants, and have lower cooling requirements.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Natural gas Brayton cycle plants are king now because it they produce less CO2 per unit of energy, have less pollutants, and have lower cooling requirements.

And have a much better efficiency when combining a gas turbine with a steam turbine. The few modern combined cycle plants in Germany are pretty, but expensive.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think the GE7FA are pushing 65% or so. The ones we bought were 2 on 1 (2 gas turbines with 1 steam turbing) generating 560ish MW. The simple cycle 7B turbines are (roughly) 80MW each, but are much less efficient.

When I first started with this bunch of morons I was in Mississippi at a simple cycle plant (Kemper). Those were the days! I had it made and didn't realize it. That was 13 years ago. I'm happy to be closer to home though, but it was a slight pay cut.

One of the things that I have as an option if I finally decide to speak my mind here is that I'm very familiar with the environmental monitoring equipment of a gas turbine plant. I don't know how many hours I have under my belt rebuilding/reconditioning NOX probes.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
We had to idle unit 1 in order to inspect the adjacent bus duct for damage. Looks like all is well so unit 1 will roll back up some time tonight. So here i sit waiting for the phone to ring to go support this.

Waiting on the phone...

And we're waiting.

Does time pass like this for normal people? Quite boring if you ask me.

Gone on walkabout twice now. Nobody seems to have noticed. If it weren't against the rules I'd have brought a blanket and a pillow (can't intentionally sleep at work, nodding off and faceplanting into the keyboard isn't forbidden but is very much frowned upon)

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am sitting in school listening to a lecture about UML, when suddenly one of the examples slaped dystopia in my face:

Code:
[FONT="Lucida Console"]

| Company |1-------------------0..*| Person |
                      [/FONT]

EDIT: Argh, no monotype font, simplifying this a bit...

Last edited: